+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Settlement amount

dev1_181

Jul 15, 2013
Hi to all,
This is newbie, requested to experience members to advise, How much money I am required to settle in Calgary from India after getting PR. In how many days (approx.) I can get the job or if i have not got job within 1 month, govt./any other agency will pay me any allowance, if not how can I survive.

Thanks.

D.K[flash=200,200][/flash]

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you applied under FSW, you need to show funds when you land as a PR, approximately enough to survive with your family for 6 months. If you go to welfare a month after landing, they will ask you what you did with your funds that you presented when you landed.

If you can not find a good job right away, take a survival job in order to support yourself. A survival job is any job you can find to pay the bills and put food on the table.

kingkong1

Star Member
May 18, 2013
dev1_181 said:
Hi to all,
This is newbie, requested to experience members to advise, How much money I am required to settle in Calgary from India after getting PR. In how many days (approx.) I can get the job or if i have not got job within 1 month, govt./any other agency will pay me any allowance, if not how can I survive.

Thanks.

D.K[flash=200,200][/flash]
You need to bring at least $100.000 if you come here with a family to support or a minimum $50.000 if you come here alone. Your savings will run out really fast (due to very high living expenses in Canada) if you don't find a job soon, which is very likely. Most of the survival jobs in Canada are part time, so even if you manage to get one of these sht*ty jobs, you can't make ends meet. So you need to bring $$$, which CIC and the Canadian government are crazy about.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
kingkong1 said:
You need to bring at least $100.000 if you come here with a family to support or a minimum $50.000 if you come here alone. Your savings will run out really fast (due to very high living expenses in Canada) if you don't find a job soon, which is very likely. Most of the survival jobs in Canada are part time, so even if you manage to get one of these sht*ty jobs, you can't make ends meet. So you need to bring $$$, which CIC and the Canadian government are crazy about.
How fast your money runs out depends on how you spend it. How fast you find a job depends on how well you picked your area to settle.

If you make the mistake of settling in an area with high unemployment, you should not be surprised that your job search doesn't go well and even the survival jobs you can find are part time.

If you make the mistake of spending lavishly as you arrive, get a nice apartment, nice new furniture, new car etc. then don't be surprised if your money is gone fast.

Still, those would be your mistakes that have nothing to do with CIC or the Canadian government.

kingkong1

Star Member
May 18, 2013
Leon said:
How fast your money runs out depends on how you spend it. How fast you find a job depends on how well you picked your area to settle.

If you make the mistake of settling in an area with high unemployment, you should not be surprised that your job search doesn't go well and even the survival jobs you can find are part time.

If you make the mistake of spending lavishly as you arrive, get a nice apartment, nice new furniture, new car etc. then don't be surprised if your money is gone fast.

Still, those would be your mistakes that have nothing to do with CIC or the Canadian government.

No, that's called a government-created ponzi scheme!

What I am talking about is far from living a lavish lifestyle but just a modest living. Anybody who thinks someone can live a lavish lifestyle with $50K or $100K over the years after arriving in Canada is out of his mind. You can probably live a lavish lifestyle with that much money in Bangladeshi, but not in Canada. LOL.

Hmmm, let's see if this guy shuts down and deletes this thread again.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
kingkong1 said:
No, that's called a government-created ponzi scheme!
It's not the government that's taking your money. It's you spending it on stuff.

If you have a moderate lifestyle, 50k can easily last you for 1-2 years. If you have a lavish lifestyle, you could blow it all in a month or two. Your choice. Just don't start crying when the party is over, your money is gone and you don't have a job yet.

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
I have to second Leon's point about going where unemployment is low -- when I came to Canada I wanted to try somewhere nice, like Halifax or Vancouver or Victoria, and I ended up going to the latter, even though I knew it was a small provincial city without much in the way of industry. I found a survival job in two days in a grocery store (not really enough to survive in Victoria, though), and I never found a real job to even APPLY for; and if I had, I probably wouldn't have gotten it, since there would be local people with more relevant experience than myself. I did not enjoy Victoria's beautiful climate, scenery, or restaurants because I didn't have any money and I became increasingly frightened that I was going to spend 20 years working in a Canadian grocery store.

Living in Alberta is like night and day. Don't think about weather, or family, or Stanley Park, or 'world-class city', go where you'll get a good job. That other stuff can come later. Do not plan on going somewhere nice and applying for jobs all over Canada, it doesn't work that way (or didn't for me). Here in Alberta the survival jobs are better than in Victoria -- if you're willing to work outside you can get 15-20 dollars an hour without much trouble; and if you're willing to work up north, you can get unskilled labor jobs for $38/hour.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
on-hold said:
Living in Alberta is like night and day. Don't think about weather, or family, or Stanley Park, or 'world-class city', go where you'll get a good job. That other stuff can come later. Do not plan on going somewhere nice and applying for jobs all over Canada, it doesn't work that way (or didn't for me). Here in Alberta the survival jobs are better than in Victoria -- if you're willing to work outside you can get 15-20 dollars an hour without much trouble; and if you're willing to work up north, you can get unskilled labor jobs for $38/hour.
Seriously? Don't think about family until you get a good job?

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
You're right, it's unclear -- I meant that moving to Vancouver, for example, because you have an uncle there might not be a good idea. Relatives can help in the short-term, but in the long term, a good job is more important. I think that a lot of people factor knowing someone into their decision-making process, and give it a very high weight (at least I did). Personally, I found that while many things are important, all of them put together have much less impact than good employment.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Once you have a couple of years job experience, you can try looking for a job in some other cities where you'd rather live but it is crucial getting that first job to get that experience.

There are many who spew negativity because of their own failures. You don't have to listen to them but you need to avoid making the mistakes they have made.

kingkong1

Star Member
May 18, 2013
Leon said:
Once you have a couple of years job experience, you can try looking for a job in some other cities where you'd rather live but it is crucial getting that first job to get that experience.

There are many who spew negativity because of their own failures. You don't have to listen to them but you need to avoid making the mistakes they have made.
There's clear evidence (even conservative think tanks and government controlled media admit) that a majority of immigrants are struggling, either unemployed or under-employed, and there's a systematic problem, but these guys wouldn't see it and are trying to jam down your throat that it's all your fault. Continue to refuse to see a scientific analysis and a preponderance of evidence! Just a pure display of ignorance and bigotry. And whenever someone posts these evidences or links to them, the threads are shut down or deleted. What a shame!

Bargeld

Sep 17, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-05-2011
AOR Received.
14-07-2011
File Transfer...
05-07-2011
Passport Req..
06-10-2011
VISA ISSUED...
20-10-2011
LANDED..........
20-10-2011
Leon said:

Pretty much, and few who do have difficulties are into introspective reasoning and learning to adapt.. and are into blaming others for their mistakes and shortcomings first and foremost. That of course excludes the obvious trolls.

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
The thing is, it's natural to struggle -- there isn't a country in the world where outsiders just show up and hit it rich. Canadians struggle too. Houses are expensive here, it takes a two-job family with steady work to buy one; and jobs are hard to find. People often live alone without relatives close by -- this can be very hard for immigrants. You come here and try to keep in touch with your family at home, very expensive! You don't want to commit to buying a house until you have found a stable job that you want to stay in -- so you live in a small apartment with you spouse and kids, it's noisy and in an ugly part of town and it's isolated and lousy compared to where you came from. When you can buy a house it pins you down, now you feel cut off from where you came from. And the thing is, a lot of people have left a lot behind, in the middle of winter when a Canadian city looks hideous, living in a cramped apartment, it can seem that you have gotten very little in return. This is the part that takes time . . . friends, opportunities, and a feeling of home will develop.