Med's Done....
10-04-2014
Passport Req..
05-06-2014
VISA ISSUED...
30-06-2014
LANDED..........
14-08-2014 In Sha Allah
any ideas about jobs in Mississaugu? is it better place to settle down for new comer from Pakistan?

on-hold said:
I have to second Leon's point about going where unemployment is low -- when I came to Canada I wanted to try somewhere nice, like Halifax or Vancouver or Victoria, and I ended up going to the latter, even though I knew it was a small provincial city without much in the way of industry. I found a survival job in two days in a grocery store (not really enough to survive in Victoria, though), and I never found a real job to even APPLY for; and if I had, I probably wouldn't have gotten it, since there would be local people with more relevant experience than myself. I did not enjoy Victoria's beautiful climate, scenery, or restaurants because I didn't have any money and I became increasingly frightened that I was going to spend 20 years working in a Canadian grocery store.

Living in Alberta is like night and day. Don't think about weather, or family, or Stanley Park, or 'world-class city', go where you'll get a good job. That other stuff can come later. Do not plan on going somewhere nice and applying for jobs all over Canada, it doesn't work that way (or didn't for me). Here in Alberta the survival jobs are better than in Victoria -- if you're willing to work outside you can get 15-20 dollars an hour without much trouble; and if you're willing to work up north, you can get unskilled labor jobs for $38/hour.

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
Suleman Aziz said:
any ideas about jobs in Mississaugu? is it better place to settle down for new comer from Pakistan?

Someone else will have to answer this -- all I know is that if you come to Alberta, there are jobs here, and they pay pretty well.

gcctocanada

Jun 12, 2010
Bahrain
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
3/5/10
AOR Received.
4/15/10
IELTS Request
4/15/10
File Transfer...
9/23/10
Med's Request
6/20/13
Med's Done....
7/17/13- with PC and RPRF
Passport Req..
9/10/2013
VISA ISSUED...
10/06/2013
LANDED..........
12/9/2013 EDMONTON
Hi On-Hold,

we are planning to land in Edmonton. what do you think of the survival jobs in that area? tnx

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
The funny thing about Alberta is some awful jobs pay well, but they may not be a good career. As an example (I work in a social welfare agency), a 50-year-old guy showed up from Nova Scotia, no education, kind of broken up, neither strong nor skilled. He had no money and lived in a homeless shelter for one week, doing day jobs for 90 dollars a day. When he had saved 900 dollars he went and joined the union for unskilled labor, and within 3 hours he had a job shoveling dirt along a pipeline in a work camp up north -- it paid $38 per hour. He was basically walking along a pipeline all day, and as they built it, he would shovel dirt over it when he was told to. Hard, but not too hard. To do this kind of work, you have to be willing to live by yourself in a work camp up north, you get your food and place to stay for free, two weeks of work and then one week off (or something like that).

If you're not interested in that, look around Edmonton. Normal jobs here pay a bit better than elsewhere, because everyone who can goes and works out in the bush -- maybe 12-14 dollars an hour. If one of you can put up with being alone, you can save a lot of money quickly.

gcctocanada

Jun 12, 2010
Bahrain
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
3/5/10
AOR Received.
4/15/10
IELTS Request
4/15/10
File Transfer...
9/23/10
Med's Request
6/20/13
Med's Done....
7/17/13- with PC and RPRF
Passport Req..
9/10/2013
VISA ISSUED...
10/06/2013
LANDED..........
12/9/2013 EDMONTON
Thanks for the encouraging words, I told my husband and he smile - saying not really different in Middle East, weather is 46-52degrees and working under the sun shoveling sand, Shoveling snow will be another chapter of my life ;D

I still have to take an exam when I get there so a homecare or caregiver job maybe will be my way to go.

Have a pleasant day, God bless you.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You should not have any problems finding a survival job in AB. I know a woman from Iran, within a couple of weeks she had a job working in a restaurant for minimum wage + tips. A month later, she had a job in a hotel reception working for $12 and a few months later, she got a job in a department store making 16. Later she took a course and is now teaching aerobics. I have no idea what she makes doing that but probably a bit more again.

In AB, there is low unemployment so if you want a job, you can get one. You just have to go after them and keep upgrading, both the jobs and yourself. It's not really a big deal. However, if you go to a province where unemployment is high, it will be a lot harder for you.

Shovelling snow is not that bad either. It never gets to +46 in AB. You might see temps in the 30's in summer and down to the low 30's in winter.

Bargeld

Sep 17, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-05-2011
AOR Received.
14-07-2011
File Transfer...
05-07-2011
Passport Req..
06-10-2011
VISA ISSUED...
20-10-2011
LANDED..........
20-10-2011
Leon said:
You should not have any problems finding a survival job in AB. I know a woman from Iran, within a couple of weeks she had a job working in a restaurant for minimum wage + tips. A month later, she had a job in a hotel reception working for $12 and a few months later, she got a job in a department store making 16. Later she took a course and is now teaching aerobics. I have no idea what she makes doing that but probably a bit more again.

In AB, there is low unemployment so if you want a job, you can get one. You just have to go after them and keep upgrading, both the jobs and yourself. It's not really a big deal. However, if you go to a province where unemployment is high, it will be a lot harder for you.

Shovelling snow is not that bad either. It never gets to +46 in AB. You might see temps in the 30's in summer and down to the low 30's in winter.
I've been seeing other immigrants (and even Canadian citizens) getting $30/hr+ jobs living in Calgary and Edmonton that fly people up to the northern part of the province (Fort Mac being one), sometimes working 2 weeks on, 2 weeks off.. doing very little other than menial labor like janitorial labor, pipe fitting, insulation, etc. They get their food paid for, their trips paid for, etc.

The job opportunities in Alberta are pretty nice, plenty of employment for someone who is reasonable and a go-getter.

Rossei

Champion Member
Jun 6, 2010
Canada
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
18-Jan-2011 (Buffalo)
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
26-Nov-2010
AOR Received.
21-Jul-2011 (Email)
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
25-Jul-2011 (Reg. Mail)
Med's Done....
03-Aug-2011
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
08-Sep-2011 (Email)
VISA ISSUED...
20-Sep-2011 (Buffalo)
LANDED..........
20-Sep-2011 (Niagara)
Suleman Aziz said:
Mississauga is a large city of GTA with 20% South Asian population. Among them Indians rank high. Over last few years, Mississauga has just grown as busy and expensive as Toronto. Many companies have their 1st/2nd HQ situated here. Public transportation isn't that good like in Toronto. Mississauga isn't known for any particular economical drive-force; rather has everything a city offers (banking, IT etc.).

You didn't mention your skill set or what type of job you will be looking for. Hence, I had to put 'Mississauga' in few words in order to help you.

Suleman Aziz

Star Member
Jan 23, 2013
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-03-2010
Doc's Request.
05-04-2010
Med's Request
04-04-2014
Med's Done....
10-04-2014
Passport Req..
05-06-2014
VISA ISSUED...
30-06-2014
LANDED..........
14-08-2014 In Sha Allah
By profession i am an auditor and accountant and got my MBA in Finance. I am also ready to do any odd jobs till the time i will get something as per my skills. I was interested in knowing that if i will do odd jobs in beginning are they available in Mississaugu or not? and how much they pay? so i can think is it ok for bread and butter and atleast hand to mouth for me.

I will be thankful to your replies.

Rossei said:
Mississauga is a large city of GTA with 20% South Asian population. Among them Indians rank high. Over last few years, Mississauga has just grown as busy and expensive as Toronto. Many companies have their 1st/2nd HQ situated here. Public transportation isn't that good like in Toronto. Mississauga isn't known for any particular economical drive-force; rather has everything a city offers (banking, IT etc.).

You didn't mention your skill set or what type of job you will be looking for. Hence, I had to put 'Mississauga' in few words in order to help you.

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
Mr. Aziz, that's an important question, the ratio of odd jobs to good jobs -- it's why I'm in Alberta and not Victoria. First of all, I got an odd job right away (very odd, working in a grocery). However, there were almost no good jobs to apply for -- and that made me realize, if there are few good jobs, no one is going to hire the professional who's working in a grocery; they're going to hire the professional who's doing a professional job. So, I would have to first find a professional job that is lower than I would normally take; but, when there aren't many of those either, who is going to hire the overqualified professional (working in a grocery) who will obviously leave as soon as they can? ('Obviously', because first, they don't want to work in a grocery and will take anything, and second, because they are overqualified.) I couldn't get one of those either. I applied for jobs everywhere in Canada, but the second problem applies even more here -- no one will hire you from thousands of miles away, for a job that you're overqualified for (you're clearly desperate!), no one will hire you for a job you're underqualified for, and if you're perfectly qualified, there's still someone closer who doesn't work in a grocery.

The key to getting your first professional job is to be in a place where the ratio of odd jobs to good jobs favours you -- where employers are having a hard time finding educated, skilled workers, and they are happy to take a chance that you are a diamond in the rough. If you're in a place where there are not a lot of good jobs, the equations that I described above will work against you in every single job that you apply for.

At least that's my opinion -- I became somewhat cynical during my year in the grocery . . . ;D

Rossei

Champion Member
Jun 6, 2010
Canada
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
18-Jan-2011 (Buffalo)
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
26-Nov-2010
AOR Received.
21-Jul-2011 (Email)
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
25-Jul-2011 (Reg. Mail)
Med's Done....
03-Aug-2011
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
08-Sep-2011 (Email)
VISA ISSUED...
20-Sep-2011 (Buffalo)
LANDED..........
20-Sep-2011 (Niagara)
Suleman Aziz said:
By profession i am an auditor and accountant and got my MBA in Finance. I am also ready to do any odd jobs till the time i will get something as per my skills. I was interested in knowing that if i will do odd jobs in beginning are they available in Mississaugu or not? and how much they pay? so i can think is it ok for bread and butter and atleast hand to mouth for me.

I will be thankful to your replies.
Your query doesn't justify the topic, anyway I'll try to help you here.

When it comes to odd jobs, I cannot really suggest on experience. But from what I've seen, I can put in this way:

As a newcomer, it may be easier to find an odd job in Mississauga as it has large South Indian community which means lots of restaurants, small groceries/convenience stores, chains etc. But again, Mississauga is widely dispersed compared to places in Toronto. So, it's more convenient to walk around or use public transit in Toronto for job hunting. Moreover, the pay will be better at downtown Toronto. For odd jobs, wages may vary from $7/hr to $12/hr. At clubs, bars, restaurants, you can earn more (mostly from tips). In that case, Toronto would be more lucrative for you. (Min wages in Ontario: http://www.labour.gov.on.ca/english/es/pubs/guide/minwage.php).

Now, you can see both places have pros & cons. I would tell you to go that place where you know someone (friend or relative). Don't just settle in, visit Toronto, Mississauga, Scarborough, Brampton and decide which one will offer you most. Also, consider to do further studies here in Canada (probably another MBA).

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
Rossei said:
I would tell you to go that place where you know someone (friend or relative). Don't just settle in, visit Toronto, Mississauga, Scarborough, Brampton and decide which one will offer you most. Also, consider to do further studies here in Canada (probably another MBA).
I completely disagree with this -- go where you have the best chance of getting the job you want. That is what is going to make the difference between succeeding and failing, not having a friend to get together with on the weekend.

Rossei

Champion Member
Jun 6, 2010
Canada
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
18-Jan-2011 (Buffalo)
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
26-Nov-2010
AOR Received.
21-Jul-2011 (Email)
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
25-Jul-2011 (Reg. Mail)
Med's Done....
03-Aug-2011
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
08-Sep-2011 (Email)
VISA ISSUED...
20-Sep-2011 (Buffalo)
LANDED..........
20-Sep-2011 (Niagara)
on-hold said:
I completely disagree with this -- go where you have the best chance of getting the job you want. That is what is going to make the difference between succeeding and failing, not having a friend to get together with on the weekend.
As I said in my post, I've literary no experience in odd jobs.

But again, I did not mention to get together or party on weekend with friends (READ). All I said, you can come first to the place where someone can give you heads up, may be shelter as well and then decide later (READ AGAIN) after seeing each places where to settle in.

frotenacs

Feb 8, 2011
India
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I will be coming to Hamilton and coming with my wife, in 3-4 months.
I have an offer from McMaster univrrsity for 1 year, salary $50K/year. The salary is not much for two of us, but a week back I was contemplating over taking some odd job and try my best for a job of my choice. Now I am relieved to some extent, but still I do not feel 100% secured. How is the prospect of getting an engineering job around Hamilton/Toronto or for that matter other parts of Ontario?

3-4 months after my landing I have to think hard over Alberta vs Ontario. My background is Materials/Mechanical engineering.

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
frotenacs said:
I will be coming to Hamilton and coming with my wife, in 3-4 months.
I have an offer from McMaster univrrsity for 1 year, salary $50K/year. The salary is not much for two of us, but a week back I was contemplating over taking some odd job and try my best for a job of my choice. Now I am relieved to some extent, but still I do not feel 100% secured. How is the prospect of getting an engineering job around Hamilton/Toronto or for that matter other parts of Ontario?

3-4 months after my landing I have to think hard over Alberta vs Ontario. My background is Materials/Mechanical engineering.
Congratulations! You've done what few do, find a good job before landing. Don't worry about the salary, it's plenty to live on and save money too -- you're landing with a salary above the Canadian average already, which suggests your long-term prospects are excellent.