+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

September 2022 - Citizenship Applicants

Amy23

Feb 19, 2020
Reactions: 2017CanadaHo!

linxord

Apr 10, 2013
is the online test in a locked kind of a browser (one that doesn't allow any other window or app to run alongside), or is it thru a regular Chrome browser login? if it is a regular login, can they find out if there's another window open? just askin.......
From what I've seen people describe, it has some sort of a check for focused window, if you move away (click on another window) it registers that. Someone technical who has taken the test should be able to describe more but that is what I suspect.

isitmeyourelookingfor

Oct 7, 2022
Hello! I just checked my tracker today (15th) and it shows updated on 12th Jan, 2023 to 'Take the citizenship test'. However, I did not get any invitation email yet. Checked spam and trash already. I guess I will have to wait for the email invite. Moreover, could you'll please suggest good practice exam websites. Thank you. @admin: Please update the tracker

shiremag

Champion Member
Jun 14, 2022
Hello! I just checked my tracker today (15th) and it shows updated on 12th Jan, 2023 to 'Take the citizenship test'. However, I did not get any invitation email yet. Checked spam and trash already. I guess I will have to wait for the email invite. Moreover, could you'll please suggest good practice exam websites. Thank you. @admin: Please update the tracker
You can take the test anytime within your test window from the test URL (link in signature) without the email. Make sure you read discover canada a couple of times. Others can give you tips about practice tests...

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
is the online test in a locked kind of a browser (one that doesn't allow any other window or app to run alongside), or is it thru a regular Chrome browser login? if it is a regular login, can they find out if there's another window open? just askin.......
Once you login to the test site, it will send a link to your email which will be active for only 15 mins. So you have to start the test before the link expires.

The link opens in a normal Chrome browser and it also opens up on the right hand bottom side a camera view where you see yourself. This is the way for them to capture you at random intervals. If you move away from the tab or try to open a tab it will detect the same and warn you about it. This could lead to your test being invalidated and you have to do it all over again. As camera is always on during the test have a very stable internet connection.

What I did -
1) Only had Chrome open on my laptop. No other application was open.
2) Logged into Gmail.
3) Opened the test email site in another tab and clicked send link to email button. Closed this tab.
4) Opened the email and clicked on the link to start the test.
5) Closed the email tab and after that only the test tab was open.

Video link of how it all works -

2017CanadaHo!

Nov 18, 2016
Ontario
Category........
Other
Once you login to the test site, it will send a link to your email which will be active for only 15 mins. So you have to start the test before the link expires.

The link opens in a normal Chrome browser and it also opens up on the right hand bottom side a camera view where you see yourself. This is the way for them to capture you at random intervals. If you move away from the tab or try to open a tab it will detect the same and warn you about it. This could lead to your test being invalidated and you have to do it all over again. As camera is always on during the test have a very stable internet connection.

What I did -
1) Only had Chrome open on my laptop. No other application was open.
2) Logged into Gmail.
3) Opened the test email site in another tab and clicked send link to email button. Closed this tab.
4) Opened the email and clicked on the link to start the test.
5) Closed the email tab and after that only the test tab was open.

Video link of how it all works -
apologies upfront for the long-ish post!!

thank you, @forw.jane @linxord n @Amy23 for showing the helpful spirit in this group we've seen since beginning and for the detailed guidance n info without judging or making smartass comments. i was comparing this with other proctored online tests, where there's someone at the other end, and/or there's a locked browser. which is when i came across other posts where people (i don't know rightly or wrongly) were worried about having left the tab/browser open which had the email (with the link). so had concerns about....
1 - sequence of actions (which @forw.jane has shared above, thanks!)
2 - keeping the email window active in the backdrop, just in case!! (which too has been clarified that screenshots are taken - doesn't bother me, cos if a screenshot or even recording is done, it will be either the test screen or the email window)

queries still left....
3 - setting for the test - it needn't be a proper desk etc. right? can be me + my laptop in any quiet setting, my living room setup (where wifi is at it's best)?
4 - do both applicants need to give the test the same day, or can it be separate too?
5 - i saw concerns being raised about ID document not being captured....any tips on that.

Amy23

Feb 19, 2020
Congrats! When did your background check completed?

linxord

Apr 10, 2013
apologies upfront for the long-ish post!!

thank you, @forw.jane @linxord n @Amy23 for showing the helpful spirit in this group we've seen since beginning and for the detailed guidance n info without judging or making smartass comments. i was comparing this with other proctored online tests, where there's someone at the other end, and/or there's a locked browser. which is when i came across other posts where people (i don't know rightly or wrongly) were worried about having left the tab/browser open which had the email (with the link). so had concerns about....
1 - sequence of actions (which @forw.jane has shared above, thanks!)
2 - keeping the email window active in the backdrop, just in case!! (which too has been clarified that screenshots are taken - doesn't bother me, cos if a screenshot or even recording is done, it will be either the test screen or the email window)

queries still left....
3 - setting for the test - it needn't be a proper desk etc. right? can be me + my laptop in any quiet setting, my living room setup (where wifi is at it's best)?
4 - do both applicants need to give the test the same day, or can it be separate too?
5 - i saw concerns being raised about ID document not being captured....any tips on that.
I will answer/help add to some of those:

3 - It doesn't need to be a desk, as long as it shows you sitting and focusing on the test itself. They're looking for you looking around/talking to people/etc to make sure you are giving the test yourself and not cheating.
4 - Tests are for individuals, and both get different emails for their test windows. You cannot help each other, and you don't have to give it together. Sometimes one gets an invite and the other doesn't. (I hope other people who have applied as family can confirm this for you)
5 - Test it out, all cameras are different. There is a camera app on windows, start that up and hold your ID card to it. Does it focus it right, is it legible ? There may be a distance that it works best with, you can find that out ahead of time if you want. Too close/too far blurs things a little sometimes.

2017CanadaHo!

Nov 18, 2016
Ontario
Category........
Other
practice your tests here:
https://www.apnatoronto.com/canadian-citizenship-test-practice/
https://www.yourlibrary.ca/citizenship/?gclid=CjwKCAiA5Y6eBhAbEiwA_2ZWIWTLbrNqUx1s2k6BzhsQJ-e2vSJdyl5pnDccjYk5YdfNhsoKw3z4pBoCMfYQAvD_BwE

mobile app for tests:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bubblingiso.cacitizenshiptest

2017CanadaHo!

Nov 18, 2016
Ontario
Category........
Other

3 - It doesn't need to be a desk, as long as it shows you sitting and focusing on the test itself. They're looking for you looking around/talking to people/etc to make sure you are giving the test yourself and not cheating.
4 - Tests are for individuals, and both get different emails for their test windows. You cannot help each other, and you don't have to give it together. Sometimes one gets an invite and the other doesn't. (I hope other people who have applied as family can confirm this for you)
5 - Test it out, all cameras are different. There is a camera app on windows, start that up and hold your ID card to it. Does it focus it right, is it legible ? There may be a distance that it works best with, you can find that out ahead of time if you want. Too close/too far blurs things a little sometimes.
3 - noted. yeah, professional setting even if relaxed/informal. naturally no one around and no gadget either
4 - noted. i may impulsively give the test when i'm too fed up of incremental practice! so this n the point above go hand in hand
5 - not the best camera on my Asus (at least for capturing print on an ID document) i guess lighting will help me big time

thanks again mate!

Reactions: linxord

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019

Just to add on top of what @linxord rightly answered

4 - Within the window you can give the test anytime you want. It need not be the same date or time for family applicants. But your Test completion happens together. They do wait for all family applicants to complete the test and then only process it.
5 - Once you take the pic of ID or yourself, there is an option to download the same. You can view the same after downloading whether it is legible or not. If not, you can retry the process again. At the ID and photo capture moment the camera and test is still not activated. It happens after both of it is done.

2017CanadaHo!

Nov 18, 2016
Ontario
Category........
Other
Just to add on top of what @linxord rightly answered

4 - Within the window you can give the test anytime you want. It need not be the same date or time for family applicants. But your Test completion happens together. They do wait for all family applicants to complete the test and then only process it.
5 - Once you take the pic of ID or yourself, there is an option to download the same. You can view the same after downloading whether it is legible or not. If not, you can retry the process again. At the ID and photo capture moment the camera and test is still not activated. It happens after both of it is done.
thank you! pt.5 suggestion makes so much sense.