Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-02-2018
VISA ISSUED...
50-03-2018
LANDED..........
13-08-2018
Today I received my Citizenship certificate. The certificate was posted on October 24th based on the date on the envelope.
Forum members, thanks a lot for your help and support.
Congratulations. Finally you completed the whole process. It's time for the Canadian passport process

Reactions: Farah2018

johnjkjk

Champion Member
Mar 29, 2016
I wish this turns out to be the truth. I am super stressed as only test completed in my case.
Perhaps you now agree that the system is failing many individuals. There is no transparency with regards to the internal process- and in particular why certain applications should take months or years longer than others.

This is unlike PR files which are processed to a 6 month target- in fact they process quite a bit more information and checks for PR than for citizenship including medical, education and typically 10 years of background. Mine took 4 months.

It would seem that some kind of criteria are applied to citizenship files which makes them non standard and/or perhaps a certain percentage of files are selected for advanced review/quality control. This isn't a problem with PR- as it's processed to a 6 month standard, For all but the most complex cases.

So what's probably happening is that once marked as non standard/quality control/etc, it goes into a low priority queue, with months of delay before the file is picked up. When it is opened by an officer, either they process it, or kick it further down the road, depending on factors that are unknown to us (The only valid reason for a delay could be waiting for information from a third party, but this would be rare).

Reactions: ROCK ON

ROCK ON

Sep 20, 2021
Perhaps you now agree that the system is failing many individuals. There is no transparency with regards to the internal process- and in particular why certain applications should take months or years longer than others.

This is unlike PR files which are processed to a 6 month target- in fact they process quite a bit more information and checks for PR than for citizenship including medical, education and typically 10 years of background. Mine took 4 months.

It would seem that some kind of criteria are applied to citizenship files which makes them non standard and/or perhaps a certain percentage of files are selected for advanced review/quality control. This isn't a problem with PR- as it's processed to a 6 month standard, For all but the most complex cases.

So what's probably happening is that once marked as non standard/quality control/etc, it goes into a low priority queue, with months of delay before the file is picked up. When it is opened by an officer, either they process it, or kick it further down the road, depending on factors that are unknown to us (The only valid reason for a delay could be waiting for information from a third party, but this would be rare).
Yes you are right.

wickerman

Jun 20, 2017
Yes you are right.
I think its basically based on the visa officer its assigned to. I saw some people who had submitted after me, online application, but already have their citizenship certificate. I on the other hand just got the oath invite. However, no email yet. I didnt get an email for the test either.

Are these visa officers working as they should? Do they have to click a button to send automated emails to applicants that most click, but some (like in my case) simply just forget to because of workload?

There is no clarity on internal processes and am sure it is also a product of workforce reduction/cost cutting on the govt's part.

johnjkjk

Champion Member
Mar 29, 2016
I think its basically based on the visa officer its assigned to. I saw some people who had submitted after me, online application, but already have their citizenship certificate. I on the other hand just got the oath invite. However, no email yet. I didnt get an email for the test either.

Are these visa officers working as they should? Do they have to click a button to send automated emails to applicants that most click, but some (like in my case) simply just forget to because of workload?

There is no clarity on internal processes and am sure it is also a product of workforce reduction/cost cutting on the govt's part.
I don't believe that a file is exclusively handled by a single officer. Each aspect is handled by different experts. So it would seem that our files are being tagged as low priority/extra review etc. On what grounds? We don’t know.

Frankly, even 12 months is too long. It should be no more than 6 months like for PR. This is of course, a political issue rather than bureaucratic, as they are investing heavily in approving student and PR applications. No government is keen to quickly offer citizenship for obvious reasons.

Taking a cynical view, it could be that the system is rigged to ensure compliance. That certainly fits in with Canadian political culture and history. So those applicants processed quickly would forever be loyal and grateful to the Crown. And those who have to suffer delays and hardship would eventually see it as a badge of honour and hard earned rite of passage.. and make them grateful and loyal to the Crown. Both these hoodwinked groups would quickly put down any complaints as "un Canadian" "you should be grateful" etc.

However people forget that having citizenship of the land where you have made a life and a sacrifice of all other lands, and where you are legally permissible, is a fundamental human right. So playing political games with citizenship (not allocating resources and perhaps even purposefully delaying certain applications) is therefore unjust.

Of course as a mere PR, I'm not allowed to have any opinion on this, nor can I vote for change.

Javeline

Star Member
Jun 15, 2017
AOR Received.
12/4/2017
IELTS Request
Along with application
File Transfer...
12/5/2017
Med's Request
24/4/2018
Med's Done....
11/5/2018 - pass 3 days later
Interview........
None
Passport Req..
23/5/2018
VISA ISSUED...
18-06-2018
LANDED..........
Sep 2018
wow finally got update. Everything completed on 28 June and now!
Congratulations! You've been scheduled to attend your citizenship ceremony on November 18, 2022. Follow the instructions you will receive in your ceremony invitation.

Samoinp

May 30, 2017
Congrats! Did yo request urgent processing for certificate?
No, the officer assigned didn't even ask if i had any travel plans but at the end of the ceremony, the clerk did suggest that they are going to mail it out from tomorrow. And from recent trends, folks in GTA are getting it in a weeks time.

Btw, i postponed my trip, fortunately had booked it directly with the airways and they changed it with minimal fees.