+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

*** September 2020 - Outland Spousal (Family Class) Sponsorship ***

Ertsatz

Apr 2, 2021
Hi Everyone,
I would like some advice on my situation. I applied for PR as an outland spousal and Sydney got my files on September 3. I moved to Canada in December with my wife and I got my biometrics and medical visit requests around the 16th of March. I have done both. As I would like to be able to work as soon as possible, I was wondering if I should withdraw my application to do an inland spousal PR application with a work permit application at the same time as it seems, based on the website of IRCC, it's way faster. But, as I am already done with biometrics and medical, I am wondering if it's worth it or if I should wait...Thank you!

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
Hi Everyone,
I would like some advice on my situation. I applied for PR as an outland spousal and Sydney got my files on September 3. I moved to Canada in December with my wife and I got my biometrics and medical visit requests around the 16th of March. I have done both. As I would like to be able to work as soon as possible, I was wondering if I should withdraw my application to do an inland spousal PR application with a work permit application at the same time as it seems, based on the website of IRCC, it's way faster. But, as I am already done with biometrics and medical, I am wondering if it's worth it or if I should wait...Thank you!
IMO you should wait. You have to formally withdraw your outland before submitting an inland which takes time, your file is moving now but it isn't known long for the rest of the processing. If you did and re-applied you can apply for the OWP but processing time for that right now is 6-8 months, used to be 3 pre-covid. In past history inland and out seemed to change back and forth which was faster but probably evened out to be about the same. Obviously your call though.

sgp1986

Star Member
Jan 2, 2020
Hi Everyone,
Mind if I ask, how did you move before receiving your PR, and where did you move from? Did they question you at the border?

Ertsatz

Apr 2, 2021
Mind if I ask, how did you move before receiving your PR, and where did you move from? Did they question you at the border?
We moved from Germany. My wife is Canadian and I traveled with her as an immediate family member. They checked at the airport before the check-in and also at the border.

sgp1986

Star Member
Jan 2, 2020
We moved from Germany. My wife is Canadian and I traveled with her as an immediate family member. They checked at the airport before the check-in and also at the border.
They didn't have any questions on if it was for a visit or if you were staying permanently?

JenniferinFL

Star Member
Nov 18, 2019
So, just some screenshots of my account now that I can link it. I'm a bit confused because it seems like it's just submitted, not in processing, but, says background check is already processing. Is this just what it looks like in this stage of it? I just ask because it seems like everyone else knows what date their applications changes to background check processing and stuff like that. I'm guessing there's just something a bit wrong with it, because it says they don't need my fingerprints but I got a request for fingerprints.

Reactions: cj7

Korion

Star Member
Sep 2, 2020
So, just some screenshots of my account now that I can link it. I'm a bit confused because it seems like it's just submitted, not in processing, but, says background check is already processing. Is this just what it looks like in this stage of it? I just ask because it seems like everyone else knows what date their applications changes to background check processing and stuff like that. I'm guessing there's just something a bit wrong with it, because it says they don't need my fingerprints but I got a request for fingerprints.

Yes, it's normal. As you get the request for medical, etc it will update. You will need medical and biometric for sure. It will show as messages on the second screen. Don't worry, it's on track. Congrats!

sgp1986

Star Member
Jan 2, 2020
My guess is that Germans don't need a visa to visit, so she entered as a visitor with dual intent to become PR.
So I get conflicting info on this. I know that it's always up to the border agent, but how likely is it to be turned away if they know you're going there to stay instead of just visiting? I'd love to drive up north and be able to start my life up there finally, but not being able to work and also the chance of being turned away scares me from going before I have my pr in hand. Does where you're at in the process affect how they handle it?

Mjg0503

Star Member
Mar 20, 2019
So I get conflicting info on this. I know that it's always up to the border agent, but how likely is it to be turned away if they know you're going there to stay instead of just visiting? I'd love to drive up north and be able to start my life up there finally, but not being able to work and also the chance of being turned away scares me from going before I have my pr in hand. Does where you're at in the process affect how they handle it?
Under the principle of "dual intent" it is perfectly legitimate for you to enter as a visitor while you have a PR application in process. You just need to say you are entering as a visitor and will stay permanently if your PR is processed during your visit. But you should stress that you will leave Canada or apply for an extension to your visit if your visit period expires (6 months for US citizens). Extensions to visits are routinely granted in the event that your PR is not processed in those 6 months. You can also take a day trip back to the US and re-enter Canada, which would start the 6 month clock over from the beginning.

Mjg0503

Star Member
Mar 20, 2019
More info here:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/visitors/dual-intent-applicants.html

Keep in mind that due to covid travel restrictions, you'll need documents to prove your relationship to your spouse/partner

JClarke

Oct 8, 2020
I’m getting worried with case progress.. Sponsor got AOR last 19th March but nothing after that. On the 21st of March, PA received email that the “PROGRESS BAR “on the account was deleted as they are not able to provide accurate processing time.

is this normal? Did anyone in this forum get the same email too?

Deinny

Jan 15, 2021
Yes, I also received it, and they gave me 85 dollars back, and I still haven't received the biometric letter.