+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

September 2020 - Citizenship Applicants

novascotia27

Jan 4, 2016
Do you honestly believe this is true? Then why not send a hundred emails a day asking for an update on my case? Why not request notes fifty times a day? Why not call every single day and ask for an update, and as soon as I get an answer, call again the next day? I am free to do all of those things and apparently it has no impact on anyone of any sort according to the people in this thread.

As for why I care, there are two reasons.

First, he government is like any other business. They have a budget and resources to allocate. If they have to allocate budget to hire people to deal with these requests, that's budget they can't use for other things like hiring more case evaluation officers. And yes, this is true even if the notes department is not the same as the immigration department. The person answering that request is being paid for by tax dollars, so don't tell me it doesn't affect me.

Second, there are people who would get real value from the answer to a FOI request that have to wait so that citizenship applicants can get an answer that does nothing for them. Let's say, for example, you had your application denied. Definitely a moment where you really would want to see those notes and get an idea what happened so you can plan your next steps. Sorry, there's a thousand impatient people who've requested their in process notes in front of you.

I get as frustrated as anyone with how long the process takes; I've done the PR request, I've done a PR renewal, and I'm in the citizenship process. I'd do anything I felt had a real chance of speeding it up. Requesting these notes does not and I think it's important for people to know that. If you still want to request them, knock yourself out but you're wasting your time and effort as well as someone else's.
Very questionable thinking.. I wonder how you got PR in the first place because judging by your logic.. you were lucky.

dsanchez

Star Member
May 10, 2018
What is not acceptable is you telling (more like ordering) others not to order notes because you don't approve the reasons behind ordering notes. If others want to order notes, it is their business and their business alone.
I have never once told anyone they cannot order the notes, and I have certainly never ordered anyone not to order the notes. I said it was pointless and a waste of time and effort that yields you nothing other than a false sense that you're doing something useful.

Maybe I'll start posting instructions on how to do a special immigration dance every day. It won't help your application get processed, and you're free to not do it if you don't want, but it's my business and my business alone if I want to spam the forum with it.

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
I have never once told anyone they cannot order the notes, and I have certainly never ordered anyone not to order the notes. I said it was pointless and a waste of time and effort that yields you nothing other than a false sense that you're doing something useful.

Maybe I'll start posting instructions on how to do a special immigration dance every day. It won't help your application get processed, and you're free to not do it if you don't want, but it's my business and my business alone if I want to spam the forum with it.
I realize it is a waste of time responding but still do it because I want to set this record straight.

Your opinion "I said it was pointless and a waste of time and effort that yields you nothing other than a false sense that you're doing something useful." is duly noted.

You are certainly entitled to an opinion and I respect that. I just don't agree with the claims you've made in your previous posts. Your re-iteration of "why" it is a "waste of time" and your other claims in the previous post are baseless and are not objective which I have duly pointed out already.

Let's not continue this discussion any further (at least not in this thread, please). It would be more relevant if September 2020 applicants came here and found information about the processing times and other relevant information instead of a discussion about whether or not one should order GCMS notes (It is pointless to discuss this further IMO).

Bottom line, people, is that if you don't feel like ordering notes or don't want to, you don't have to. If you feel like ordering notes, please go ahead.

Last edited:
Reactions: MrChazz

ashpillai

May 4, 2014
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-06-2014
Med's Request
02-01-2015
Med's Done....
05-01-2015
Passport Req..
25-02-2015
Let me rephrase the question. Has anyone's application process ever been improved or sped up by requesting the GCMS notes?
I am not sure if this relevant but I will share my experience of contacting IRCC for an application status check.
We applied for PR Card renewal in December 2020 and for four months we did not hear anything. Not even an acknowledgement of any kind. Since we did not need the PR card for anything, we did not remember to check ECAS. In April, we remembered and noticed that we had not heard anything from IRCC about our applications. A mail was shot off, and on the same day, we received our AOR, decision made status on ECAS and an email saying that the cards had been dispatched.
As I said earlier, this may not be relevant to the discussion and it could even have been a coincidence. I have, however, heard of files moving and statuses changing after GCMS notes were asked for.
I however understand your concern and as @rajkamalmohanram has noted, the staff who deals with these requests may not be the same as the ones who work on our applications.
Also, if there is a facility that does nothing more than making someone feel more hopeful and reassured, I think that is enough in the interesting times we all live in!

MrChazz

May 4, 2021
Do you honestly believe this is true? Then why not send a hundred emails a day asking for an update on my case? Why not request notes fifty times a day? Why not call every single day and ask for an update, and as soon as I get an answer, call again the next day? I am free to do all of those things and apparently it has no impact on anyone of any sort according to the people in this thread.

As for why I care, there are two reasons.

First, he government is like any other business. They have a budget and resources to allocate. If they have to allocate budget to hire people to deal with these requests, that's budget they can't use for other things like hiring more case evaluation officers. And yes, this is true even if the notes department is not the same as the immigration department. The person answering that request is being paid for by tax dollars, so don't tell me it doesn't affect me.

Second, there are people who would get real value from the answer to a FOI request that have to wait so that citizenship applicants can get an answer that does nothing for them. Let's say, for example, you had your application denied. Definitely a moment where you really would want to see those notes and get an idea what happened so you can plan your next steps. Sorry, there's a thousand impatient people who've requested their in process notes in front of you.

I get as frustrated as anyone with how long the process takes; I've done the PR request, I've done a PR renewal, and I'm in the citizenship process. I'd do anything I felt had a real chance of speeding it up. Requesting these notes does not and I think it's important for people to know that. If you still want to request them, knock yourself out but you're wasting your time and effort as well as someone else's.
It is very nice to know that you are concerned about tax dollars and so on. Very noble of you. And it is also very noble of you to be concerned about who gets "real value" in an FOI request. However, it is not for you to determine for others what constitutes real value for them. And, as for costs, the government thinks $5 is a reasonable charge (even if it might not fully cover the costs).

One more time: please keep your concerns to yourself and do not make presumptions about or on behalf of others.

Have you seen any official figures indicating that the costs of ATIP-IRCC are too high, or that too many people are getting FOI requests delayed because of IRCC requests? If so, you should do two things: (1) share the information with us and others, and (2) urge your local legislator to work to change the laws that entitle people to make such requests.

In the meantime, stop being a nuisance and give up the self-appointed role you have taken up. Nobody here needs it!

Sep 1, 2020
Previous comments are too long to read. Can someone please tell me what is happening with the advocacy? Some dude on Facebook was advocating for citizenship tests. Then he disappeared once we got the tests. Are there more advocacy related activity these days?

Any inside knowledge or a document that leaked recently?

People should stop arguing amongst each other and just focus on how slow the process is, and how much more we will be delayed in traveling, since soon enough the borders will open.

Reactions: Krekls and varlam

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Previous comments are too long to read. Can someone please tell me what is happening with the advocacy? Some dude on Facebook was advocating for citizenship tests. Then he disappeared once we got the tests. Are there more advocacy related activity these days?

Any inside knowledge or a document that leaked recently?

People should stop arguing amongst each other and just focus on how slow the process is, and how much more we will be delayed in traveling, since soon enough the borders will open.
I guess those topics can be discussed in the following thread.

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/citizenship-test-collective-action-required-or-expect-endless-delays-years-example-of-the-effective-lobbyng-of-people-awaiting-spousal-sponsorship.697691/page-142

The document that was given to the media outlets by the advocacy group was most likely the document that I obtained via an ATIP request.

The advocacy group's main focus is for applicants who applied in 2019 and before who haven't received a test invitation yet. September 2020 applicants are still within the 12 month timeline and I hope many of us will become Canadian citizens by the end of this year, if not by September.

wskamel

Jan 25, 2015
Although I know nothing is going to happen over the weekend, I still can't stop myself from checking the tracker and the forum every couple of hours
I believe tracker gets updated once a day , early morning i believe . and some gets update on weekend , you are not crazy :)

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
I believe tracker gets updated once a day , early morning i believe . and some gets update on weekend , you are not crazy :)
My update for the test invitation was updated sometime between 10:30 and 11:00 AM. My test "Completed" status was updated sometime before 8 AM. Guess it varies.

Last edited:
Reactions: krunal2904