+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

September 2020 - Citizenship Applicants

Hot2Cold

Champion Member
Nov 16, 2014
Just sent in my application. Please add me to the tracker.

Location (city): Toronto
App type (single or # of people): 3
Physical presence days: 1163
App sent date: 23-SEP-2020
App delivered date: 30-SEP-2020 (scheduled)

annapatram

Star Member
Nov 27, 2017
At last submitted the application and got it delivered through UPS. Could you please add me to the tracker

App type: Family(2)
Physical presence days: 1177
App sent date: 22-Sep-2020
App delivered date: 24-Sep-2020

Mexontario

Sep 9, 2020
Windsor, ON
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
02-05-2014
Doc's Request.
23-06-2014
AOR Received.
04-06-2014
File Transfer...
23-06-2014
Med's Request
23-06-2014
Med's Done....
07-08-2014
Passport Req..
26-09-2014
VISA ISSUED...
18-11-2014
LANDED..........
04-04-2015
Sep 1, 2020

Das67

Oct 19, 2019
It is a Canadian degree, but it doesn't say anywhere on the transcript or degree that the language or instruction was in English
It does not need to say that, English and French are both official languages in Canada. Your degree should be in English already in fact even if you study abroad only time you need a letter from your school is needed is if your degree is in a different language as per the requirement.

You attended or are currently attending a secondary or post-secondary education program in English or French, either in Canada or abroad, including:
  • A degree, diploma, certificate or official transcripts from a secondary or post-secondary education program showing you studied in English or French, in Canada or abroad.
  • If the original document is in a different language, include:
    • a letter from the school showing that the language of instruction was in English or French along with (including an official translation of the original document, if needed)
    • the address and contact information (phone number) of the education institution

Sep 1, 2020
It does not need to say that, English and French are both official languages in Canada. Your degree should be in English already in fact even if you study abroad only time you need a letter from your school is needed is if your degree is in a different language as per the requirement.

You attended or are currently attending a secondary or post-secondary education program in English or French, either in Canada or abroad, including:
  • A degree, diploma, certificate or official transcripts from a secondary or post-secondary education program showing you studied in English or French, in Canada or abroad.
    • a letter from the school showing that the language of instruction was in English or French along with (including an official translation of the original document, if needed)
    • the address and contact information (phone number) of the education institution
Someone had their degree from Philippines, and their application got returned even though their education was in English

Das67

Oct 19, 2019
Someone had their degree from Philippines, and their application got returned even though their education was in English
I saw that we don't know all the details concerning his application and what exactly he submitted. I personally know people from my home country ( French is the official language ) they all submitted their diplomats in french with no letter and the diplomat doesn't say French was the language of instruction. They are all Canadians. Relax you will be ok every case is different. I also submitted degrees and transcripts from abroad in French.

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Honestly, it does not make any sense, if you see below

If the original document is in a different language, include:
This is mean if your original degree is already in English or French you do not need to include anything else, as this is something your friend experienced I prefer not to comment on this particular case. It will be good if we can hear from other people from Pakistan.
Yes, all the people I said here, we all came from the same country which French is an official language.
One of my friend application returned he did master from pakistan for this reason not language proof.his degree was also in enlish.
Your point is also valid but may be our countries official language is not English thats why thay required that certificate and for safe side i will personally recommend to get certificate.

I would NOT recommend this train of thought to everyone. @Das67 - Remember, when it comes to matters of immigration, always take the "Better safe than sorry" approach. Just because you and your friends from the same country submitted degrees only without a medium of instruction letter and they were accepted doesn't mean this applies to all countries. You cannot generalize this matter and recommend the same approach to everyone. You should realize that other countries have different official/common languages (languages other than English or French) and the officer is allowed to use some discretion in matters such as these. It is ALWAYS safe to submit a medium of instruction certificate if you are submitting your degree/diploma as proof as language.

You give them this additional document, you are safe. If they want it, they'll use it, otherwise, they'll discard it. No problem there. However, if you do not submit it and the application is returned, the person will lose about 5 - 6 months of valuable time (there are Covid-19 related delays to AOR).

Not necessarily know a lot of people applied and are citizens now, they all used their degrees from their countries in french nothing else. You do not need any letter from your university. Show me the source of this info.
As for the "source" you are looking for - It is in the same page that you quoted before.

My degree does NOT show the medium of instruction explicitly however my consolidated marksheet does. Also, specifically for immigration / visa purposes, my university provides something called 'Medium of Instruction Certificate' that will explicitly state that the medium of instruction was English. If I did not have my IELTS - General, I would have submitted my degree and my marksheet together to prove that my studies were in English. I would recommend the same for others too - "Better safe than sorry".

Last edited:

Das67

Oct 19, 2019
I would NOT recommend this train of thought to everyone. @Das67 - Remember, when it comes to matters of immigration, always take the "Better safe than sorry" approach. Just because you and your friends from the same country submitted degrees only without a medium of instruction letter and they were accepted doesn't mean this applies to all countries. You cannot generalize this matter and recommend the same approach to everyone. You should realize that other countries have different official/common languages (languages other than English or French) and the officer is allowed to use some discretion in matters such as these. It is ALWAYS safe to submit a medium of instruction certificate if you are submitting your degree/diploma as proof as language.

You give them this additional document, you are safe. If they want it, they'll use it, otherwise, they'll discard it. No problem there. However, if you do not submit it and the application is returned, the person will lose about 5 - 6 months of valuable time (there are Covid-19 related delays to AOR).

As for the "source" you are looking for - It is in the same page that you quoted before.

My degree does NOT show the medium of instruction explicitly however my consolidated marksheet does. Also, specifically for immigration / visa purposes, my university provides something called 'Medium of Instruction Certificate' that will explicitly state that the medium of instruction was English. If I did not have my IELTS - General, I would have submitted my degree and my marksheet together to prove that my studies were in English. I would recommend the same for others too - "Better safe than sorry".
My degree does NOT show the medium of instruction explicitly however my consolidated marksheet does. Also, specifically for immigration / visa purposes, my university provides something called 'Medium of Instruction Certificate' that will explicitly state that the medium of instruction was English. If I did not have my IELTS - General, I would have submitted my degree and my marksheet together to prove that my studies were in English. I would recommend the same for others too - "Better safe than sorry

When you are in doubt follow instructions and instructions are very clear on this, as I quoted above. If your university provides something called Medium, I am very sure in your country you can study in another language than English. Adding a letter from university or school is not a general rule and people should not make it a general rule. The general rule is in the IRCC's website and we should always follow their rules, according to their website the only time you need a letter from your university is when your degree is not in French or English. I agreed if anyone wants to add a letter that is fine but again do not make it a general rule.
As for the "source", you are looking for - It is in the same page that you quoted before.
Again the page I quoted above only required a letter from the university only if your degree is not in English or French, you need to translate your degree and add a letter from your university saying that your study was done in English. If your degree is in English or French you do not need anything else as per the IRCC's website. I understand you want to be safe but do not make it a general rule and people here are trying to make it a general rule.

@PM_ME_UR_REJECTION_REASON did his study here in Canada and we all know that English is one of the official languages in Canada, why does his degree has to say that he did his study in English? He can study in Canada in French or English only and having his degree in English is good enough to prove that he did study in English. Why should he add a letter from his university or school saying that his study was done in English?
Better be safe than sorry yes, but do not make this a general rule and we all follow rule from the IRCC and they are clear on this.

Last edited:

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
My degree does NOT show the medium of instruction explicitly however my consolidated marksheet does. Also, specifically for immigration / visa purposes, my university provides something called 'Medium of Instruction Certificate' that will explicitly state that the medium of instruction was English. If I did not have my IELTS - General, I would have submitted my degree and my marksheet together to prove that my studies were in English. I would recommend the same for others too - "Better safe than sorry

When you are in doubt follow instructions and instructions are very clear on this, as I quoted above. If your university provides something called Medium, I am very sure in your country you can study in another language than English. Adding a letter from university or school is not a general rule and people should not make it a general rule. The general rule is in the IRCC's website and we should always follow their rules, according to their website the only time you need a letter from your university is when your degree is not in French or English. I agreed if anyone wants to add a letter that is fine but again do not make it a general rule.
As for the "source", you are looking for - It is in the same page that you quoted before.
Again the page I quoted above only required a letter from the university only if your degree is not in English or French, you need to translate your degree and add a letter from your university saying that your study was done in English. If your degree is in English or French you do not need anything else as per the IRCC's website. I understand you want to be safe but do not make it a general rule and people here are trying to make it a general rule.

@PM_ME_UR_REJECTION_REASON did his study here in Canada and we all know that English is one of the official languages in Canada, why does his degree has to say that he did his study in English? He can study in Canada in French or English only and having his degree in English is good enough to prove that he did study in English. Why should he add a letter from his university or school saying that his study was done in English?
Better be safe than sorry yes, but do not make this a general rule and we all follow rule from the IRCC and they are clear on this.
You are missing my point. I was never talking about degrees obtained in Canada.

I have been here for the better part of this decade and have seen enough people complain about application rejections. The only point I was making is this : If you are right, then everybody's happy. However, if you are wrong and the officer uses discretion for some reason and the application is returned, you'll lose time. Valuable time. That's all I am saying.

I am not saying that my way is the only way to follow. I'm just saying that this method provides an insurance, in case someone got unlucky and the application was decided to be returned. I'm all in for avoiding clutter in the application package (I appreciate the fact that sometimes, "less is more") but for this particular case, my personal opinion / recommendation is to cover the risk and send in one additional sheet of paper that shows the medium of instruction if your education was in a country other than the native English speaking countries.

These are my closing notes on the topic, I will not be going back and forth on this one again.