+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

September 2020 - Citizenship Applicants

scappa

Star Member
Apr 16, 2012
TO
These are correct information.

Dec 17- Acknowledgement of receipt from Sydney NS office where you mailed your docs- confirming your application is complete. Then they transfer your file to local visa office corresponding to your Home mailing address .

Feb 12- your local visa office opened your file and started the real process of verification required for citizenship.

Mar 9- Local visa office completed your BGC.
Hope it helps in understanding.
Not really helping me since the DEC 17 and FEB 12 dates in both contradict each other in that that they say they have started processing my application.

I mean that seems contradictory but hey, it's been a long day and I'm drinking beer.

w3rlgn

Star Member
Sep 5, 2020
I've DM'd all September 2020 applicants whose AOR and IP status have not been updated asking them for an update. If they all provide an update, the sheet will have more meaning and it will be complete. I couldn't even find some members on the forum so I have asked the sheet owners to reach out to them.

I've already got 3 - 4 responses and I've updated those details in the sheet.
Background Verification - Completed
Language Skills, Physical Presence and Prohibitions - In Progress
Both Citizenship Test and Citizenship Ceremony - Not Started
Please update on Tracker.
One thing I noticed was that it said that my application was filed on December 16th. Does that mean now it’s considered a December file because that’s when they filed it? Or still September when I actually sent it in?

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
It seems both systems can't get their stories straight. One says they started processing on FEB 12 the other on DEC 17

From https://services3.cic.gc.ca/ecas/
  1. We received your application for Canadian citizenship (grant of citizenship) on September 28, 2020.
  2. We sent you correspondence acknowledging receipt of your application(s), and a study book called Discover Canada on December 17, 2020.
  3. We started processing your application on February 12, 2021.
From other tool

Application history

Mar 9, 2021
Background verification activity status updated
Background verification

Background verification status has been updated to Completed

Dec 17, 2020
Acknowledgement of receipt: Sent

We sent you an acknowledgement of receipt (AOR) to confirm that we have received your complete application. We also sent you the study guide for your citizenship test.

Dec 17, 2020
Application filed

We have received your application and have begun to process your application. Information about next steps and required action items will be coming soon.
Not really helping me since the DEC 17 and FEB 12 dates in both contradict each other in that that they say they have started processing my application.

I mean that seems contradictory but hey, it's been a long day and I'm drinking beer.
I'm not sure if you are still confused by this.

"Not really helping me since the DEC 17 and FEB 12 dates in both contradict each other"
Okay, let me breakdown what I see and may be that will clear up something for you. In your initial post, the events are shown as follows :

Dec 17, 2020 = Application filed on the new tracker which is the same date as AOR in ECAS.
Dec 17, 2020 = Acknowledgement of receipt: Sent on the new tracker is the same AOR date in ECAS.
Feb 12, 2021 = Your application was set to In-progress in ECAS. This means that Sydney probably completed the preliminary checks and put your file in queue to be transferred to your local Visa office. You don't see this date in the new tracker.
Mar 9, 2021 = Background verification activity status updated happened after your file was transferred and your security and criminality were complete.

I'm really not sure what you mean by " DEC 17 and FEB 12 dates in both contradict each other in that that they say they have started processing my application.". I don't see where it says they started processing your application on December 17th. December 17th was your AOR according to both the trackers. Feb 12th is when your application went to IP according to ECAS. I see no contradiction here.

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Background Verification - Completed
Language Skills, Physical Presence and Prohibitions - In Progress
Both Citizenship Test and Citizenship Ceremony - Not Started
Please update on Tracker.
One thing I noticed was that it said that my application was filed on December 16th. Does that mean now it’s considered a December file because that’s when they filed it? Or still September when I actually sent it in?
No he/she is Sep applicant
You would be considered a December applicant.

EDIT : Sorry, I misunderstood your question. You're still a September applicant. The Date shown next to "Application Filed" is your AOR date.

@taurus25 => Thanks for pointing it out. My bad.

Last edited:

NKhan

Star Member
Jun 22, 2015
I have one question for the senior users, if BG check complete, you get test invite and the language, prohibitions, physical presence are "in progress", do such applicants always get an interview????

Progressive

Star Member
Sep 6, 2016
I have one question for the senior users, if BG check complete, you get test invite and the language, prohibitions, physical presence are "in progress", do such applicants always get an interview????
Good question, but I've seen in other threads people being all in the same boat getting DM and all other "in progress" checks turning into "completed" and eventually getting an oath ceremony invite.

I took the test, which I eventually passed, almost 2 weeks ago and those three checks you mentioned are set to "in progress". ECAS says my app is still in process.

NKhan

Star Member
Jun 22, 2015
Good question, but I've seen in other threads people being all in the same boat getting DM and all other "in progress" checks turning into "completed" and eventually getting an oath ceremony invite.

I took the test, which I eventually passed, almost 2 weeks ago and those three checks you mentioned are set to "in progress". ECAS says my app is still in process.

Thank you for the response, once the test is done any idea how long to get oath invite or interview whatever the next steps?

rajneeshv

Apr 27, 2014
New Delhi
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
28-05-2014
Nomination.....
22-9-2014
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
Med's Request
30-10-2014
Med's Done....
14-11-2014 (Med Rcvd: 21Feb)
Interview........
Decision Made : 20-3-2015
Passport Req..
31-3-2015
VISA ISSUED...
14-4-2015
LANDED..........
16-10-2015
Just now got the invite for CT. It shows that the status page was last updated on 26th May. But somehow, my wife has not got the invite and her status page still shows "Last Updated 23th April".

App Date - 30th Sep
Local office - Mississauga

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Just now got the invite for CT. It shows that the status page was last updated on 26th May. But somehow, my wife has not got the invite and her status page still shows "Last Updated 23th April".

App Date - 30th Sep
Local office - Mississauga
Congratulations! I have updated the spreadsheet!

Did you get the test invite or was your status updated on the new dashboard. If you did not receive an email today, please update me when you receive one..

This post makes me happy because presumably, my file is in Mississauga office as well.

Could you please tell me when your BG checks were completed as shown in the new dashboard?

Fingers crossed!

Thanks!

Last edited:

rajneeshv

Apr 27, 2014
New Delhi
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
28-05-2014
Nomination.....
22-9-2014
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
Med's Request
30-10-2014
Med's Done....
Interview........
Passport Req..
31-3-2015
VISA ISSUED...
14-4-2015
LANDED..........
16-10-2015
Congratulations! I have updated the spreadsheet!

Did you get the test invite or was your status updated on the new dashboard. If you did not receive an email today, please update me when you receive one..

This post makes me happy because presumably, my file is in Mississauga office as well.

Could you please tell me when your BG checks were completed as shown in the new dashboard?

Fingers crossed!

Thanks!
Thanks ! I have not received the invite on email. My status got updated today. Sure, I'll let you know when I receive the email.

Here is the current status :

May 31, 2021
Scheduled for citizenship test
You've been scheduled to take citizenship test online between May 31, 2021 and June 20, 2021. Information and instructions will be sent to you.

May 25, 2021
Citizenship test activity status updated
Citizenship test status has been updated to In progress

Mar 9, 2021

Dec 22, 2020
Application filed
We have received your application and have begun to process your application. Information about next steps and required action items will be coming soon.

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Thanks ! I have not received the invite on email. My status got updated today. Sure, I'll let you know when I receive the email.

Here is the current status :

May 31, 2021
Scheduled for citizenship test
You've been scheduled to take citizenship test online between May 31, 2021 and June 20, 2021. Information and instructions will be sent to you.

May 25, 2021
Citizenship test activity status updated
Citizenship test status has been updated to In progress

Mar 9, 2021

Dec 22, 2020
Application filed
Thank you! Our BG Check "Complete" dates are the same.

Fingers crossed! Good luck for a speedy processing going forward!

Reactions: rajneeshv

rajneeshv

Apr 27, 2014
New Delhi
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
28-05-2014
Nomination.....
22-9-2014
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
Med's Request
30-10-2014
Med's Done....
Interview........
Passport Req..
31-3-2015
VISA ISSUED...
14-4-2015
LANDED..........
16-10-2015
Thank you! Our BG Check "Complete" dates are the same.

Fingers crossed! Good luck for a speedy processing going forward!
Thanks Man ! Best Wishes for your app !

Reactions: rajkamalmohanram