17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016
@legalfalcon
I submitted the documents for express entry (FSW-Outland) and received AOR in September 2020. During my visit to the passport office, I was informed by them that the passport needs to be renewed due to damage (because the binding is visible due to which the airlines won't allow me to fly). So I'm planning to renew passport till February 2021 to be able to travel to Europe for which I already hold a visa.

However, I also want to change given name in the passport from A B (first name A + father's name B) to A (first name) as per my birth certificate and my national public documents of India like Aadhar card, PAN and voter card, so that it is same everywhere and also for Canada I wish to have it in the format A B inorder to avoid mismatches or any differences among my Canadian documents from the beginning itself. The last name/surname (C) will remain unchanged. Most of the documents submitted (like the language test results) have the name in the format (A B C) according to the earlier passport, since they were issued according to the earlier passport.

Note: Biometrics Instruction Letter is also received and it has the given name in the format (A B) according to the passport, but the biometrics are pending as the nearest VAC has not resumed the service for express entry applicants in India.

Note: I have not undergone any legal change of name. The difference is only due to the different convention of writing names which is ABC or AB or CAB. Inorder to make it all uniform I want to have it as AC as it is on most of my national documents. B is only my father's name and is not my given name.

My question is when and at what stage should I change my given name on my passport?
Before biometrics (now/ after submitting biometrics/ after getting PPR/ after getting stamp and COPR/ after landing and getting a PR card ?
What steps should be taken after the renewal and name update in the passport?
How should one inform IRCC and what documents need to be submitted?
How will this fact affect the profile, its processing time and its outcome? What additional steps need to be taken?

All inputs are welcomed.
Thank you.
The passport is the identity document and all your Canadian documents after you receive your PR will have your name exactly as it appears in your passport. If you want to get your name changed, now is the time. After you get your passport with the new name, send the copy and an explanation to IRCC, so that your name can be reflected in your application to.

If you get it done after your have the PR, you will have to get it done legally.

HoshinBonu

Star Member
Sep 24, 2020
Hi guys,

what does it mean when background check says “We are processing your background check. We will send you a message if we need more information”

and eligibility says”We are reviewing whether you meet the eligibility requirements”

Is this a normal application description ?

simpleduck

Jul 16, 2020
My timeline is as below:

AOR: Sep 01
Medical passed: Oct 05
RPRF request: Nov 25
RPRF paid and uploaded: Dec 3 (I missed their 7 day deadline, dont know if this will affect anything, already raised a web form stating I was busy with work which is the truth and didn’t see their email)
Eligibility: processing
Background: processing

Never requested GCMS so I have no idea about criminality and security and stuff

d_flame_leo

Dec 9, 2020
The passport is the identity document and all your Canadian documents after you receive your PR will have your name exactly as it appears in your passport. If you want to get your name changed, now is the time. After you get your passport with the new name, send the copy and an explanation to IRCC, so that your name can be reflected in your application to.

If you get it done after your have the PR, you will have to get it done legally.
@legalfalcon
Thank you very much for your quick reply. Would it be a problem or would I be disallowed by the VAC(VFS) if the given name on the passport doesn't match the given name on the BIL when I go to submit biometrics? Or is it better to renew and change given name after biometrics submission?
By explanation you mean letter of explanation or just an email or message explaining them?
How should the copy of new passport and LoE be sent to IRCC? Any email or webform or inquiry call? Also would I need to send an affidavit to IRCC along with LoE for the name change?

Thank you

#EEC

May 19, 2019
@legalfalcon
Thank you very much for your quick reply. Would it be a problem or would I be disallowed by the VAC(VFS) if the given name on the passport doesn't match the given name on the BIL when I go to submit biometrics? Or is it better to renew and change given name after biometrics submission?
By explanation you mean letter of explanation or just an email or message explaining them?
How should the copy of new passport and LoE be sent to IRCC? Any email or webform or inquiry call? Also would I need to send an affidavit to IRCC along with LoE for the name change?

Thank you
I would advice to not to change name on passport, because changing name on AADHARBHUT/BIRTH Certificate/PAN are too easy as compared to change in name on passport, passport name change requires going through Gazette of India notifications which is tough job and only done at New Delhi for whole of India, got all this information from relative who went through procedure.

legalfalcon

VIP Member
Sep 21, 2015
Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Doc's Request.
01-10-2015
AOR Received.
03-09-2015
Med's Done....
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016
@legalfalcon

Thank you

Your passport is your identity document. When you go to give your biometrics, your name on the BIL has to match the name on your passport to verify your identity.

Explanation can be either an email or a LoE attached to email or webform.

To send the new passport and LoE, you can send it by webform.

P.S. make sure that the passport office will change your name solely based on your documents. Usually they need 2 advertisements in local newspapers and other documents.

legalfalcon

VIP Member
Sep 21, 2015
Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Doc's Request.
01-10-2015
AOR Received.
03-09-2015
Med's Done....
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016
I would advice to not to change name on passport, because changing name on AADHARBHUT/BIRTH Certificate/PAN are too easy as compared to change in name on passport, passport name change requires going through Gazette of India notifications which is tough job and only done at New Delhi for whole of India, got all this information from relative who went through procedure.

The procedure is available at http://lawtimesjournal.in/how-to-change-your-name-legally-in-india/

d_flame_leo

Dec 9, 2020
Your passport is your identity document. When you go to give your biometrics, your name on the BIL has to match the name on your passport to verify your identity.

Explanation can be either an email or a LoE attached to email or webform.

To send the new passport and LoE, you can send it by webform.

P.S. make sure that the passport office will change your name solely based on your documents. Usually they need 2 advertisements in local newspapers and other documents.
Thanks a ton @legalfalcon.
This means I should rather wait for the biometrics to resume so that the names on the BIL and passport match when I go to submit the biometrics and then proceed for name change when I renew my passport since passport has to be renewed anyway due to the damage. I talked to the passport helpline and they told me that I only need 2 newspaper ads (one national and one in regional language) and 2 public documents with the updated name. They didn't require affidavit/gazette, however in case if that is asked during the appointment and in case it is complicated or needs a lot of documentation then I may renew it as it is and do the name change in passport after getting the PR.

In cse I update the given name on passport after getting the COPR but before landing and activating it then would I need to resend the passport for stamp and receive an updated COPR?

I will also keep updating here sothat others can benefit from my case and queries.

legalfalcon

VIP Member
Sep 21, 2015
Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Doc's Request.
01-10-2015
AOR Received.
03-09-2015
Med's Done....
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016
Thanks a ton @legalfalcon.
This means I should rather wait for the biometrics to resume so that the names on the BIL and passport match when I go to submit the biometrics and then proceed for name change when I renew my passport since passport has to be renewed anyway due to the damage. I talked to the passport helpline and they told me that I only need 2 newspaper ads (one national and one in regional language) and 2 public documents with the updated name. They didn't require affidavit/gazette, however in case if that is asked during the appointment and in case it is complicated or needs a lot of documentation then I may renew it as it is and do the name change in passport after getting the PR.

In cse I update the given name on passport after getting the COPR but before landing and activating it then would I need to resend the passport for stamp and receive an updated COPR?

I will also keep updating here sothat others can benefit from my case and queries.
As soon as you get the name changed in your passport, you will have to inform IRCC and also send a sen of the biographical pages of your passport.

Keep us posted on the progress and it would be well appreciated if you could post your entire experience so that it could help others.

Reactions: A_Bee

Khushi0804

Jan 29, 2020
@legalfalcon

ITA June 11, 2020
Draw Score: 437
My Score: 461
AOR Sept 5
Medical & Biometrics cleared
Estimated completion date: March 5, 2021
Estimated remaining processing time: 13 Week(s)
Work Permit to Expire in Oct, 2021

I am currently living and working in Canada and my PR application is in processing. I am looking forward to get married on April 30 but I am not sure if I will get my PR cards till then. So, I wanted to know which of below is advisable:

1. Get a registered marriage (court marriage) done in January or February and then come back and update my application with spouse information? If yes, then till what date I can update my file and how will it impact my file?

2. Or, postpone wedding and then apply sponsor visa for my spouse? If going with this option, is there any way I can reduce processing time which is 12 months?

Please advise.

Thank you
Khushi

d_flame_leo

Dec 9, 2020
As soon as you get the name changed in your passport, you will have to inform IRCC and also send a sen of the biographical pages of your passport.

Keep us posted on the progress and it would be well appreciated if you could post your entire experience so that it could help others.
@legalfalcon
Sure, I will definitely keep things posted here and post my entire experience too.
I get the point that I need to update IRCC with the new passport details and bio-pages. To make an informed decision about the name change, could you also tell me what extra is to be done if the name change happens after
1. getting PPR
2. getting stamped and COPR but before landing
3. After getting PR card and could also tell me the process of legal name change as you mentioned once in canada after getting PR ?

Your inputs would help me be prepared depending on how the things happen.

Thank you very much.

caipsnotes

Champion Member
Jan 10, 2020
Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY

caipsnotes

Champion Member
Jan 10, 2020
Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Yup, i have requested gcms notes one was a month after I received my AOR, which expectedly didnt show much and the second one was 15days ago, after I passed medical and biometrics so Im expecting the ATIP email anytime this December, will post an update once i receive it.

with regards to RPRF, I intentionally didnt pay it upfront to track which stage of the application they will request it, I read on alot of threads that paying RPRF upon RCIC request didnt affect their timeline or even so, wont be a huge delay.
Got it. Let us know what your Gcms Notes show once you receive it. All the best.

legalfalcon

VIP Member
Sep 21, 2015
Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Doc's Request.
01-10-2015
AOR Received.
03-09-2015
Med's Done....
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016
@legalfalcon
Sure, I will definitely keep things posted here and post my entire experience too.
I get the point that I need to update IRCC with the new passport details and bio-pages. To make an informed decision about the name change, could you also tell me what extra is to be done if the name change happens after
1. getting PPR
2. getting stamped and COPR but before landing
3. After getting PR card and could also tell me the process of legal name change as you mentioned once in canada after getting PR ?

Your inputs would help me be prepared depending on how the things happen.

Thank you very much.

All your questions can be answered with one simple answer.

Your do not become a PR, until you land in Canada and are admitted. If you are inland, then only due to cOVID you may get an COPR by email but you will have too validate it on the IRCC online portal and only then you become a PR.

After you become a PR, all your documents will have the name as it appears on your COPR. If there is a discrepancy in your cOPR and passport, you will have to get it rectified. See https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-passports/change-name.html

legalfalcon

VIP Member
Sep 21, 2015
Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Doc's Request.
01-10-2015
AOR Received.
03-09-2015
Med's Done....
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016
@legalfalcon

ITA June 11, 2020
Draw Score: 437
My Score: 461
AOR Sept 5
Medical & Biometrics cleared
Estimated completion date: March 5, 2021
Estimated remaining processing time: 13 Week(s)
Work Permit to Expire in Oct, 2021

I am currently living and working in Canada and my PR application is in processing. I am looking forward to get married on April 30 but I am not sure if I will get my PR cards till then. So, I wanted to know which of below is advisable:

1. Get a registered marriage (court marriage) done in January or February and then come back and update my application with spouse information? If yes, then till what date I can update my file and how will it impact my file?

2. Or, postpone wedding and then apply sponsor visa for my spouse? If going with this option, is there any way I can reduce processing time which is 12 months?

Please advise.

Thank you
Khushi

1. You can update your application or add your spouse to your application until you receive the COPR and it is activated. IF it is activated, then you will have to file a family sponsorship.

See my previous post that discuss this in detail at #8

2. If you apply for family sponsorship, the processing time is 12 months at least after your submit your application, and this is pre-cOVID.

If you can add your spouse to your current application, that is the quickest way.