+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Separation and divorce in Quebec

ValeriaS

Sep 19, 2019
Quebec
My current visa is open work permit, my husband has closed work permit. We both in Quebec more than year.
In April we decided to live separately, because of relationship breakdown. Next day after separation I immediately came to lawyer and she told me that I can live separately and I can make an official divorce in court a year after separation. She didn't tell anything about any separation statement or that I need to say something to CIC or other services.

In June I started to make my own closed work permit through my employer and I asked lawyers what I need to check in "marital status" field, they answered me next: You should still indicate your status as married since there are no official documents as to your separation. (c)

Than I had some employer changes (visa wasn't rejected, we withdraw it before) and I apply for CWP again now.
The question is: I am afraid that I changed address in bank, driving licence and insurance, but I didn't to CIC that I live separately. Should I? I understand that it could influence on my OWP (but we are not divorced), but all immigration's lawyers told me that I don't need to tell this to CIC and I could be calm.
I am afraid that it could be a problem with CIC in future when I will tell in court that we live separately for almost a year.

Also could I apply for divorce in a year after separation if my current visa will be in process or I should wait until I will receive new document? (CWP). Maybe it's better to make divorce in my own country?

I know that CIC is very strict and I would like to avoid any problems in future. That's why I would like to receive any advices on what to do better (please note, that we don't have separation agreement, we just live apart).

Thank you!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
My current visa is open work permit, my husband has closed work permit. We both in Quebec more than year.
In April we decided to live separately, because of relationship breakdown. Next day after separation I immediately came to lawyer and she told me that I can live separately and I can make an official divorce in court a year after separation. She didn't tell anything about any separation statement or that I need to say something to CIC or other services.

In June I started to make my own closed work permit through my employer and I asked lawyers what I need to check in "marital status" field, they answered me next: You should still indicate your status as married since there are no official documents as to your separation. (c)

Than I had some employer changes (visa wasn't rejected, we withdraw it before) and I apply for CWP again now.
The question is: I am afraid that I changed address in bank, driving licence and insurance, but I didn't to CIC that I live separately. Should I? I understand that it could influence on my OWP (but we are not divorced), but all immigration's lawyers told me that I don't need to tell this to CIC and I could be calm.
I am afraid that it could be a problem with CIC in future when I will tell in court that we live separately for almost a year.

Also could I apply for divorce in a year after separation if my current visa will be in process or I should wait until I will receive new document? (CWP). Maybe it's better to make divorce in my own country?

I know that CIC is very strict and I would like to avoid any problems in future. That's why I would like to receive any advices on what to do better (please note, that we don't have separation agreement, we just live apart).

Thank you!
You didn't need to tell IRCC. However, your status is all apps is now legally separated, not married.

Reactions: ValeriaS