+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sending passport from USA to Canada

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
Same as yours for onward.. $78.. I got an estimate of $85 for the return...
I added signature confirmation and final was $82 for me. $170 is a lot of money for this, plus $50 just for photos. Medicals also too expensive in US ($950 for a family of three).

I wish I had applied EE from India (15k for medicals, 400 for passport, some hundred for photos) ! Would have finished things a lot cheaper!

Reactions: shuttlespace

grapehair

Jan 14, 2017
The difference in amount of money everyone here paid was because of different weightage each of us put while creating the label. Also international priority is cheaper than international first. Last but not least, commercial invoice is something that is always needed for any international shipping. FedEx return label didn't generate it because it's the shippers responsibility (CPC OTTAWA PR in that case). If they ask for the invoice, simply download it from.your FedEx account and email it to CPC.

YOU all should be fine :)

Reactions: paneka penalty

naresh78

Jul 28, 2013
Hello All

What phone no should I give for creating FedEx shipping label to CPC

It seems phone no is mandatory field.

Regards
Naresh

systix

Mar 13, 2017
Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
NOC Code......
Nomination.....
None
Interview........
None
VISA ISSUED...
##-08-2027
LANDED..........
##-09-2027
Hello All

What phone no should I give for creating FedEx shipping label to CPC

It seems phone no is mandatory field.

Regards
Naresh
I put in their helpline number. Have not yet gotten my passport back, still in queue for shipping back.

naresh78

Jul 28, 2013
Thanks Systix for your quick reply.

Have few more queries

1. What value did you put for document in the custom section.
2. Where did you get an option to create the commercial invoice.

Regards
Naresh

Dec 5, 2016
Hi.. Thanks for the detailed process.
But i think i might have an issue now.
I sent my passport on July 24th and it was delivdered on July 25th but the return envelope that i sent doesnot have a commerical invoice with it.
Rest all is exactly same as you. Immigration papers with dollar 1 value and return labels in the pouch but i asked Fedex multiple times whether a commercial invoice be needed and they said no everytime and didnot add that.
Hi Akki045, did you end up getting your passport back? How long in total did it take?

CanadianAspirant

Star Member
Jul 18, 2017
The difference in amount of money everyone here paid was because of different weightage each of us put while creating the label. Also international priority is cheaper than international first. Last but not least, commercial invoice is something that is always needed for any international shipping. FedEx return label didn't generate it because it's the shippers responsibility (CPC OTTAWA PR in that case). If they ask for the invoice, simply download it from.your FedEx account and email it to CPC.

YOU all should be fine :)
Submitting invoices are necessary when there is no proof on label that who is paying for the shipment and CPC wants to make sure that they are not paying for the shipment. I am not sure about FedEx but in UPS once you have an account created and print the return label you will see three fields. Billing: Paid by Receiver [your account number], Document Description: [Your document description] and Return Service: PAYMENT GUARANTEED. So first and third field clearly shows that who is paying, so no confusion for anybody. Make sure you hold your UPS account in good standing. 2nd field is useful for customs.

I liked other thing about UPS that you don't have to create custom documentation as there is checkbox which says "Documents with No Commercial Value". Condition is, your envelope should contain document only.

That's what I did, so far everything went well, I believe inbound will be as smooth as outbound :)

Reactions: StevieFray

sharma.tarundeep

Star Member
Jun 17, 2017
United States
Hi Akki045,

Congratulations!!
I am in a similar boat as yourself (Indian residing in US). It seems many people do send their passports out of the country. Sharing my experience below:

I personally used FedEx. In brief: I created an online fedex account ( a personal account), and using the FedEx Ship Manager (not the Ship Manager Lite), created a shipment which included a return label. I also opted for the commercial invoice to be generated for both onward and return packages as I had heard that some people (who had sent their passports to Ottawa from US) had reported that they were asked by CIC to provide a new shipping label with a commercial invoice.

You can use the passport processing tracker on myimmitracker here: https://myimmitracker.com/en/ca/trackers/passport-processing-tracker
to get an idea of the kind of wait times experienced by ppl.

TLDR:
The shipping labels created with selecting a package type of an envelope, along with a document type of immigration papers declared at value of $1 for both onward and return packages. I had purchased one large bubble-wrap envelop (which could take 11" x 17" sized docs) for the onward package and a medium bubble wrap envelope (which could take a 11" x 8.5" doc). For the package type, I measured the bubble wraps envelopes that I had and put those dimensions in as custom. I collected all docs (pport, photos, annex a, return envelop), took everything together and wrote a simple cover letter explaining the documents and artefacts included.

The Fedex shipment gave me quite a few documents printed out.

4 labels for the onward shipment, 2 commercial invoices for the onward shipment. I made sure everything on the onward label was correct, and signed the two commercial invoices and included them in the standard fedex ziploc pouches that affix on top of the envelope (they just give you a couple of those at the fedex locations if you ask for them).

I affixed a similar ziploc pouch on the return envelope. I put the 3 return labels within the pouch.

I took:
Coverletter
The passports
Photographs
annex A
fedex return shipment instructions
fedex return commercial invoice (separate from the labels that were put into the return envelope's pouch since they had to be signed by the person returning)
return envelope with return labels within the pouch,​
and put all of the above on the onward and sent the package. The cover letter that I wrote , explained exactly what each thing was.

Hope that helped even though am a bit late.
Thanks for the info. Great info. I have one question, do we need to sign the return commercial invoice or CPC ottawa will sign that while returning ?

wolfman2017

Star Member
May 5, 2017
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
27-07-2015
AOR Received.
28-07-2015
Passport Req..
27-08-2015
VISA ISSUED...
22-09-2015
Thanks for the info. Great info. I have one question, do we need to sign the return commercial invoice or CPC ottawa will sign that while returning ?
You will need to sign the invoice. They will not sign anything.

systix

Mar 13, 2017
Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
NOC Code......
Nomination.....
None
Interview........
None
VISA ISSUED...
##-08-2027
LANDED..........
##-09-2027
I actually forgot to sign the return commercial invoice .. but it did make it's way back ok. But I would suggest sign it since I have come across some one off cases where shipments were delayed due to return commercial invoice not being signed.

Mthornt

Dec 28, 2015
Canada
I added signature confirmation and final was $82 for me. $170 is a lot of money for this, plus $50 just for photos. Medicals also too expensive in US ($950 for a family of three).

I wish I had applied EE from India (15k for medicals, 400 for passport, some hundred for photos) ! Would have finished things a lot cheaper!

Wow! Did you get overnight service with that? That's pretty expensive, I used USPS to send it to Ottawa for a little over $20, and then FedEx return for $23 or so. I had problems using UPS, and CPC-Ottawa contacted me asking to send a prepaid FedEx label for them to return COPR.

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
Wow! Did you get overnight service with that? That's pretty expensive, I used USPS to send it to Ottawa for a little over $20, and then FedEx return for $23 or so. I had problems using UPS, and CPC-Ottawa contacted me asking to send a prepaid FedEx label for them to return COPR.
Yes it was overnight. I'm not sure what the store guy put in there for it to be $82. Return happened using my account generated label and it was only $40 something. I used a big envelope while sending to put everything in, so I presume that might have increased the price.