+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sending passport from USA to Canada

vikita

Aug 31, 2018
Anyone here received re-photo email? how much delay it will cause for printed copr and receiving back the passport?

my timeline so far:

PPR email: 14th June
Passport sent: 23th June
Passport received at Ottawa: 25th June
re-Photo email: 7th July
Photos sent: 11th July
Photos received: 13th July

I have upcoming international travel, and this whole process looks like a black box, no customer care or any other mode of communication.

Last edited:

muzmil

Feb 11, 2008
Here's my experience of sending passports from US to CPC Ottawa and receiving those back within a week. I'm writing in as much detail as possible so that it helps people in the future.

Timeline
  • PPR: April 14
  • Passports sent via FedEx: May 4
  • Package delivered to CPC Ottawa: May 5
  • FedEx return tracking activated: May 12
  • Application status changed to "Approved": May 13
  • Return package delivered: May 13
Checklist
  • Original passport for myself and my wife (Citizenship: India)
  • Photocopy of passport for my kid (Citizenship: USA)
  • Two photos for each of us
  • Signed "Annex A" with my mailing address
  • Cover letter
Label Creation
I created a FedEx online account first and used FedEx Ship Manager Lite to create the onward and return labels. I chose FedEx International Priority (next day delivery) for both shipments.
  1. Onward Label: I used the CPC Ottawa address mentioned in my PPR letter. Wrote "CPCO - PR VISA" under 'Name' and "US Permanent/Temp Residence Visa/PP" under 'Company' (due to text length constraint)
  2. Return Label: I followed the instructions for writing the "From" address at: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/account/where-submit-passport/cross-border-shipment-instructions.html. As I didn't have IRCC's phone number or email address, I put my phone number and email address wherever those were required
  3. Shipment Details: I kept the carriage value field blank and chose "Direct signature required" under Signature Type. For the return label, make sure to select "Use an already scheduled pickup at my location" under pickup options (as mentioned in the URL above)
  4. Customs Information: Select "Personal document" with $1 commercial value
At FedEx Office
  • I got 8 pages for the onward label and 7 pages for the return label (including commercial invoices). Took those prints and went to a nearby FedEx office along with other documents as per the checklist
  • They asked me to sign all the commercial invoices for the onward shipment. For the return shipment, they were not sure if I should sign on commercial invoices. I still signed those as well to avoid any issues afterwards
  • I asked for a large envelope for the onward shipment and another medium-sized envelope for the return shipment
  • They gave me back one copy of commercial invoice for both onward and return shipments
  • All other pages were put inside the transparent pouch of the onward and return envelopes (as applicable)
  • The credit card associated with the FedEx account would be charged a few days after the delivery
  • The onward package that was supposed to get delivered at "365 Laurier Ave West" actually got routed to a different address: "2303 Stevenage Dr". Don't worry if it happens with you. This seems to be the sorting facility for all couriers addressed to CPC Ottawa
Note
  • I was initially scared to send my passports outside the US as there were conflicting opinions regarding this. I sent a couple of emails to CPC Ottawa requesting them to change the location from Ottawa to VFS NY / LA. However, eventually I just went ahead and took the risk as there was no reply from CPC Ottawa
  • I didn't receive any update from IRCC after the onward shipment was delivered. Exactly a week later, I received a notification from FedEx that the return shipment has been picked up
  • The return package contained both of our passports with stamped PR visa and COPRs for all 3 of us. They also returned one photo for each of us (the other one was pasted on COPR)
I hope people find it useful. I found some great advices from old posts on this forum and thanks everyone for the same. All the best for your PR journey!
Thanks for sharing your experience , Can you please advise what happens once we receive the COPR ? do they give timeline to complete landing formailities and how much time it takes to receive the PR card ?

Bobsim92

Jul 26, 2022
Hello All

I sent my passports to CPCO Ottawa on 07/11 and delivered through FedEx on 07/12. Since then, I haven't received any updates. It's been two weeks now. Anyone with the similar timelines waiting for passports to be approved?

Thanks

vikita

Aug 31, 2018
So I ended up asking whether my new photos were received and were they fine. I got a response that my COPR is issued and my passport is in queue for visa printing. My account doesnt say anything, my fedex return is also inactive till now. How much time does it take in visa printing queue?

Bobsim92

Jul 26, 2022
So I ended up asking whether my new photos were received and were they fine. I got a response that my COPR is issued and my passport is in queue for visa printing. My account doesnt say anything, my fedex return is also inactive till now. How much time does it take in visa printing queue?
Thanks for sharing this info! Unfortunately, I have no idea on timings for visa printing as I’m also waiting for updates. May I ask which email address you used to know the status or did you use webform?
Thanks

vikita

Aug 31, 2018
Thanks for sharing this info! Unfortunately, I have no idea on timings for visa printing as I’m also waiting for updates. May I ask which email address you used to know the status or did you use webform?
Thanks
I responded to the original email that I received for re-photo.

jessicajoon

Star Member
Jan 25, 2022
Passport delivered (Fedex): 12th July

Passport received at (Ottawa): 19th July (+7 days covid policy)

Application approved: 27th July

Return tracker: ?

nick1620

Jul 27, 2022
Passport delivered (Fedex): 12th July

Passport received at (Ottawa): 19th July (+7 days covid policy)

Application approved: 27th July

Return tracker: ?
Hey,

I have a question, I also did receive emails to send passports for PR visa which I did and they were delivered on July 25, 2022. One strange thing I noticed is that when I look at travel history. Right on the day of the delivery, I see Address corrected. Do you also see this info in tracking?

When I called FedEx they said it was delivered to a different address which was requested. Could it be that they are sending it to another place because of Covid Policy?

Thanks
Nick

nick1620

Jul 27, 2022
EDIT: Typos

Hi Everyone, This post was extra useful to me over the past 3 weeks.

I'd like to share the timeline of my passport

• Got COPR invitation mail asking me to send passport to Ottawa CPC on May 17
  • Sent passport to Ottawa CPC via FedEx on June 12, it reached out June 14
    A few notes about this
    • Even if you send it to 365 Laurier, FedEx will deliver it to Stevenage (this is normal, don't be alarmed)
    • Other than FedEx telling you it was delivered you won;t get any notification from CPC that it was delivered (I did not)
    • I sent my passport, 2 Canadian spec photos (don;t get your photos at Walmart or CVS, get them from a photo studio that knows what the Canadian spec is, otherwise you will have to send new photos), the filled out Annex form, a return envelope (all associated invoices and bills are part of the fedex labl and in the pouch where the label is attached)
  • After 2.5 weeks my application status changed to approved
  • FedEx picked up passport the next day and it was delivered to California the day after (July 6, today lol)
FedEx address cannot accommodate the full CPCO address given in the passport request letter. So use this instead

CPCO PR VISA US PR/TR PASSPORT
365 LAURIER AVE WEST
OTTAWA, ON, CA, K1A1L1

Also give https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/account/where-submit-passport/cross-border-shipment-instructions.html a read. It has some instructions on what to fill out on your fedex shipping label (disregard the portion about not including a return envelope though, FedEx reusable envelopes have changed and are now bigger than before, so you can actually include a return envelope in the envelope you send over)

Hey,

I have one more question. I had sent passports and they were delivered on July 25, 2022, but it does say address corrected in tracking history. I got worried and called FedEx and they said it was delivered somewhere else and they can't share the details of the new address. When you said FedEx will deliver it to Stevenage. What does this mean? Please clarify

Thanks
Nick

canadacani

Jul 12, 2022
Hey,

I have one more question. I had sent passports and they were delivered on July 25, 2022, but it does say address corrected in tracking history. I got worried and called FedEx and they said it was delivered somewhere else and they can't share the details of the new address. When you said FedEx will deliver it to Stevenage. What does this mean? Please clarify

Thanks
Nick
It's normal. See here

Bobsim92

Jul 26, 2022
Hello All

I sent my passports to CPCO Ottawa on 07/11 and delivered through FedEx on 07/12. Since then, I haven't received any updates. It's been two weeks now. Anyone with the similar timelines waiting for passports to be approved?

Thanks
My timelines so far:

July 11th - Passports sent to Ottawa
July 12th - Passport delivered
July 29th - Application approved and counterfoil generated on the portal

FedEx tracker is not activated yet.
Thanks

jessicajoon

Star Member
Jan 25, 2022
Hey,

I have a question, I also did receive emails to send passports for PR visa which I did and they were delivered on July 25, 2022. One strange thing I noticed is that when I look at travel history. Right on the day of the delivery, I see Address corrected. Do you also see this info in tracking?

When I called FedEx they said it was delivered to a different address which was requested. Could it be that they are sending it to another place because of Covid Policy?

Thanks
Nick
This is normal. Call IRCC and confirm they have received your passport.