+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sending passport from USA to Canada

bassamkaaki

Star Member
Mar 15, 2020
The guy's timeline he gave looks like it took a month. 4 Jan to 31 Jan. Pretty reasonable.

And when he said that he sent on 1st & delivered on 2nd - he is referring to delivered to Ottawa the next day. Which is possible in priority mail by air.
Ok that makes sense. The message was not clear from the way it was written;)

akeera

Nov 5, 2017
Those who recently sent their passports - I have another question and was wondering if someone can help me.

I came across these instructions for Cross-Border Shipment:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/account/where-submit-passport/cross-border-shipment-instructions.html#:~:text=Review all mailing,trying to use.

Review all mailing details and pay online:
  • You can use a credit card or an already existing FedEx account. Remember that the address for the credit card or FedEx account has to match what is already on file. If you fail 3 times, it will lock out the payment number you’re trying to use.
I'm wondering if this "address already on file" means the address I have on IRCC's file?

My address on IRCC file is actually a Texas address but I'm currently in North Carolina and will be here for a little while. If I ship my passport from here and also get it returned here, will that cause any issue?

vsfedotov

Aug 12, 2019
USA
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
Has anyone been instructed to send their passports to VAC in New York. How different is this process, any issues? I definitely feel safer sending passports within the US rather than cross-border. Anything I need to be aware of? Thank you!

akeera

Nov 5, 2017
Hello
I actually have another question.
I went to the UPS store today to ship my passport to Canada and they said that they don’t do return shipment of international packages.

can anyone guide me what to do in this case?

bluehorse

Dec 1, 2017
USA
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
CIO - Sydney, NS
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26-01-2021
AOR Received.
06-07-2021
Passport Req..
17-01-2022
LANDED..........
27-04-2022
Has anyone been instructed to send their passports to VAC in New York. How different is this process, any issues? I definitely feel safer sending passports within the US rather than cross-border. Anything I need to be aware of? Thank you!
I've sent ...

bluehorse

Dec 1, 2017
USA
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
CIO - Sydney, NS
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26-01-2021
AOR Received.
06-07-2021
Passport Req..
17-01-2022
LANDED..........
27-04-2022
You first need to respond to the PPR email you got, providing a justification on why you wanted to have revised passport submission instructions sent to the NYC VO. In my case, I mentioned saying Indian passport cannot be sent outside the country by mail.

The CIO office responded to me the next day with instructions on submitting passport to the NYC VAC center (VFS office). You need to request shipping labels from VFS, make payments for all applicants, prepare separate packages for each applicant, submit photos, copy of PPR email, consent form (2 copies). All these instructions would be provided to you.

Once VFS gets your package, they will check the photo requirements that you have submitted and if all looks good, send it to IRCC for stamping. They will approve and issue COPR (Two copies) and stamp your passports with a visa. VFS will get this package and dispatch to your home address.

vsfedotov

Aug 12, 2019
USA
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
You first need to respond to the PPR email you got, providing a justification on why you wanted to have revised passport submission instructions sent to the NYC VO. In my case, I mentioned saying Indian passport cannot be sent outside the country by mail.

The CIO office responded to me the next day with instructions on submitting passport to the NYC VAC center (VFS office). You need to request shipping labels from VFS, make payments for all applicants, prepare separate packages for each applicant, submit photos, copy of PPR email, consent form (2 copies). All these instructions would be provided to you.

Once VFS gets your package, they will check the photo requirements that you have submitted and if all looks good, send it to IRCC for stamping. They will approve and issue COPR (Two copies) and stamp your passports with a visa. VFS will get this package and dispatch to your home address.
Thank you! I don't need to provide justification, my initial PPR email already contains the instructions to submit passports to NYC VAC center, not to Ottawa. Is there any detailed process description as of how to get labels, make payments, prepare packages, etc. with the VAC?
How quickly did you get your visa stamps/CoPR back from NY? I'm planning to send my package next week - got PPR today.

Reactions: bluehorse

bluehorse

Dec 1, 2017
USA
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
CIO - Sydney, NS
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26-01-2021
AOR Received.
06-07-2021
Passport Req..
17-01-2022
LANDED..........
27-04-2022
Thank you! I don't need to provide justification, my initial PPR email already contains the instructions to submit passports to NYC VAC center, not to Ottawa. Is there any detailed process description as of how to get labels, make payments, prepare packages, etc. with the VAC?
How quickly did you get your visa stamps/CoPR back from NY? I'm planning to send my package next week - got PPR today.
When I went to the VFS global office in NYC couple of months back, they gave me an instructions sheet step-by-step on what I need to do after getting PPR. I've uploaded it and shared it here: https://file.io/ZMmx3QN7pWOW

Regarding my timeline, my passports reached VFS office on Jan 20, 2022 and I got my stamped passports delivered to my home on Jan 31, 2022. It was just 11 days ...

Last edited:

vsfedotov

Aug 12, 2019
USA
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
When I went to the VFS global office in NYC couple of months back, they gave me an instructions sheet step-by-step on what I need to do after getting PPR. I've uploaded it and shared it here: https://file.io/ZMmx3QN7pWOW

Regarding my timeline, my passports reached VFS office on Jan 20, 2022 and I got my stamped passports delivered to my home on Jan 31, 2022. It was just 11 days ...
Wow, this is fast! And, of course, CONGRATULATIONS!
Unfortunately the document is not available anymore, it says it has been deleted. But in any case, thank you for your guidance. Looks like the process isn't too complicated, and I'm going to call VAC first thing Monday morning.

Reactions: bluehorse

bluehorse

Dec 1, 2017
USA
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
CIO - Sydney, NS
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26-01-2021
AOR Received.
06-07-2021
Passport Req..
17-01-2022
LANDED..........
27-04-2022
Wow, this is fast! And, of course, CONGRATULATIONS!
Unfortunately the document is not available anymore, it says it has been deleted. But in any case, thank you for your guidance. Looks like the process isn't too complicated, and I'm going to call VAC first thing Monday morning.
Try this: https://ufile.io/aervwgfb

vsfedotov

Aug 12, 2019
USA
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
Thank you! This link worked! If you don't mind one last question... Did you submit your biometrics at VAC for your PR application?

This letter states multiple times that we need to state we "DID DO our biometrics at the VFS global." We had our biometrics done at USCIS back in 2019 - does it mean we are also exempt from the "package transmission fee"? Or do we need to retake them with VFS in NYC, even though the IRCC account says they're valid till 2029?

I apologize for a ton of stupid questions, but it's overwhelming and always helpful to hear from someone who has navigated this last step successfully! :)

bluehorse

Dec 1, 2017
USA
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
CIO - Sydney, NS
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26-01-2021
AOR Received.
06-07-2021
Passport Req..
17-01-2022
LANDED..........
27-04-2022
Thank you! This link worked! If you don't mind one last question... Did you submit your biometrics at VAC for your PR application?

This letter states multiple times that we need to state we "DID DO our biometrics at the VFS global." We had our biometrics done at USCIS back in 2019 - does it mean we are also exempt from the "package transmission fee"? Or do we need to retake them with VFS in NYC, even though the IRCC account says they're valid till 2029?

I apologize for a ton of stupid questions, but it's overwhelming and always helpful to hear from someone who has navigated this last step successfully! :)
I submitted my biometrics at VFS Global VAC in NYC. Just email them if the package transmission fee would be applicable to you / not with VFS.
In my case, I did my biometrics and submitted the passports at the same VAC and thus the package transmission fee of $22 was exempt for me. Still I had to pay the TWCS fee of $66 or something …

Reactions: vsfedotov

vsfedotov

Aug 12, 2019
USA
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
I submitted my biometrics at VFS Global VAC in NYC. Just email them if the package transmission fee would be applicable to you / not with VFS.
In my case, I did my biometrics and submitted the passports at the same VAC and thus the package transmission fee of $22 was exempt for me. Still I had to pay the TWCS fee of $66 or something …
Thank you again...
Well I just hope I don't do anything wrong at this final step of my almost 2.5-year long journey to Canada hahaha.
I emailed them to ask for the correct schedule of fees, will see what they'll respond.
Did you pay the fees via money order? Do you have to include envelopes for the return shipping as well?

bluehorse

Dec 1, 2017
USA
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
CIO - Sydney, NS
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26-01-2021
AOR Received.
06-07-2021
Passport Req..
17-01-2022
LANDED..........
27-04-2022
Thank you again...
Well I just hope I don't do anything wrong at this final step of my almost 2.5-year long journey to Canada hahaha.
I emailed them to ask for the correct schedule of fees, will see what they'll respond.
Did you pay the fees via money order? Do you have to include envelopes for the return shipping as well?
VFS will send you a link using which you can make the payment.

I included envelopes as well. However, they had packaged it in a totally new envelope package. I suppose envelope is not needed ... all they would need is the return shipping label printed and included in your package.