+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sending CIC Proof of CSQ Delay?

Tetrue

Apr 3, 2020
I applied for a CSQ in Feb 2020 as part of a spousal sponsorship application (so I'm not sure if the family class forum would be the place to go to ask this). Calling as indicated that the application has been received, however the fee has not been withdrawn from my account at all. The CIC's letter indicates that you only have 90 days to submit at CSQ, or proof that you applied for one. For me, that would mean this period expires at the end of May 2020.

In the event that getting CSQ approval is delayed for longer than this, the CIC asks for "proof that it's being delayed".

Does anybody have any insights as to what I can offer as "proof of delay" or proof that I've applied but am still waiting on approval, just in case this goes over the 90 day limit?

I've also read that due to the COVID-19 situation, the CIC is extending a lot of document deadlines an extra 90 days, but it's not clear as to if this for all classes of application and for the CSQ.

Thanks all!

Ogbeniyemi

Star Member
Sep 15, 2017
You can check the forum for the Quebec 2019 Spousal sponsorship application under the family class. Some who had this issue even before the Covid-19 issue came up discussed how they handled it there.

Tetrue

Apr 3, 2020
Thanks! Yeah I saw that thread but it was like 50 pages and hard to weed through, but I did find relevant info that I'll also just share here just in case someone finds this first in the future:

-On average, it is taking about 4 months to get CSQ approval. The processing fee is charged after about 2 months.
-The IRCC is aware of the delays.
-Nonetheless, it is still advisable to contact them asking for an extension, providing proof of your submission such as the signature of the registered mail being received etc. They will almost certainly accept the request.
-It is possible to request numerous extensions.

Reactions: astraldust

leel

Feb 4, 2012
Tetrue can I ask a information? Did u apply PR+ OWP? Because I am from montreal and march applicant. But I don’t know when cic give us OWP, before CSQ or after CSQ? If anyone know this information please let me know.

bilal1raad

Mar 19, 2019
I applied for a CSQ in Feb 2020 as part of a spousal sponsorship application (so I'm not sure if the family class forum would be the place to go to ask this). Calling as indicated that the application has been received, however the fee has not been withdrawn from my account at all. The CIC's letter indicates that you only have 90 days to submit at CSQ, or proof that you applied for one. For me, that would mean this period expires at the end of May 2020.

In the event that getting CSQ approval is delayed for longer than this, the CIC asks for "proof that it's being delayed".

Does anybody have any insights as to what I can offer as "proof of delay" or proof that I've applied but am still waiting on approval, just in case this goes over the 90 day limit?

I've also read that due to the COVID-19 situation, the CIC is extending a lot of document deadlines an extra 90 days, but it's not clear as to if this for all classes of application and for the CSQ.

Thanks all!
The Ministère has taken measures to stop the spread of the virus and to limit the impact of the unprecedented crisis we are experiencing. Please consult the Notice to the Ministère’s clientele.

The measures deployed in response to this crisis situation have an impact on processing times for applications. Currently, it is impossible to meet the 25-day deadline set out in the customer service statement (in French only).

The Ministère is doing everything in its power to reduce these timeframes while assuming responsibility for the health of public service employees.

Processing times
New
The presentation of the processing times on this page has been changed. The start dates for the processing of applications will no longer be posted. Instead, these dates will be replaced by the dates indicated below, which refer to the date of receipt of the files for which processing is currently being finalized.

At present, the Ministère is issuing a Certificat de sélection du Québec (CSQ – Québec selection certificate) for the applications received on:

• November 12, 2019, for a spouse, de facto spouse or dependent child;
  • November 6, 2019, for other family members.

IMPORTANT
The Ministère’s decision will be sent directly to the office of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada where the application for permanent residence for the person you are sponsoring will be processed. These timeframes will therefore not affect the timeframe for issuing permanent resident visas for sponsored persons.

Information regarding processing times will be updated regularly.
Latest update: June 22, 2020

Tetrue

Apr 3, 2020
As an update, I did end up just sending a message via my IRCC account explaining the situation with information regarding the time and method of sending the application along with documents proving this. They then got back to me with a confirmation email a few days later letting me know they would hold onto the application.

However, the Ministère seems to have committed a clerical error which has resulted in our application being delayed for probably another year. We got it back in the mail claiming the payment method failed, despite us reconfirming it and contacting the bank who told us no attempt at payment was ever rendered by the Ministère. They've completely refused to help us in any way other than telling us to "try again and hope it works this time". Extremely unprofessional. Also an issue because my USA passport will expire in the next several months, so I will need to wait to get a new one (which is also delayed due to the pandemic) before we can resubmit the application to start it all over again.

I caution any one who tries to contact the Ministère (via telephone) to not expect any help and constant rude behavior from the staff as this has been the experience for the last 10 calls made to them (all about different inquiries).