+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Selling property after leaving Canada

Harvest1

Aug 26, 2019
Hopefully this is the correct forum/category.

I left Canada in 2016, got a US green card and snagged an awesome 2 year contract job. My plan was that it would only be temporary, and I’d return to Canada after my contract was up in the 2 years. As such, I left my house, my furniture, bank accounts and credit cards all open. Based on a discussion I had with CRA at the time, I thought I was still considered a resident of Canada, submitted my taxes every year and claimed my world wide income AND paid taxes in Canada on top of what I paid in the US based on the results from my tax software.
In mid 2018, I was offered a full time position and decided this is was the right move for me, so I sold my house in Canada. Thinking I was still considered a resident, I did not claim that I was a non-resident. I used an address for a cottage I own in northern Ontario as my address. I had changed my address to this with CRA when I initially left Canada, because the other house sat vacant. This address forwarded to my parents, so if anything important or time sensitive came up, they could let me know.
Here’s where things get messy. I got a letter from CRA saying that I wasn’t a resident, and they charged me back for the majority of the refund I got on my 2016 return, and all my TFSA income. They are stating that *I* submitted documents requesting that my residency status be changed (I didn’t). I requested that they reverse this – I got a letter last week saying that they are declining that decision as my emigration date is recorded as 2016.
So, apparently, getting a green card nullifies your Canadian Residency status. Now I’m stuck scratching my head and wondering what the heck I am going to do. If I was considered a non-resident in 2016, and sold my principal residence in Canada in 2018, does that mean I owe the 25% non-resident taxes? We’re talking about $100,000 here. That’s more than the capital gains I made on the property, and I can’t come up with that. CRA has not asked for anything else yet – I am going to redo my 2017 taxes and get my $500 back that I paid out based on worldwide income…but waiting for them to actually ask for something and look into my 2018 taxes to and see if I sold property just feels like waiting for the other shoe to drop.
Does anyone have any similar experiences, or advice?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hopefully this is the correct forum/category.

I left Canada in 2016, got a US green card and snagged an awesome 2 year contract job. My plan was that it would only be temporary, and I’d return to Canada after my contract was up in the 2 years. As such, I left my house, my furniture, bank accounts and credit cards all open. Based on a discussion I had with CRA at the time, I thought I was still considered a resident of Canada, submitted my taxes every year and claimed my world wide income AND paid taxes in Canada on top of what I paid in the US based on the results from my tax software.
In mid 2018, I was offered a full time position and decided this is was the right move for me, so I sold my house in Canada. Thinking I was still considered a resident, I did not claim that I was a non-resident. I used an address for a cottage I own in northern Ontario as my address. I had changed my address to this with CRA when I initially left Canada, because the other house sat vacant. This address forwarded to my parents, so if anything important or time sensitive came up, they could let me know.
Here’s where things get messy. I got a letter from CRA saying that I wasn’t a resident, and they charged me back for the majority of the refund I got on my 2016 return, and all my TFSA income. They are stating that *I* submitted documents requesting that my residency status be changed (I didn’t). I requested that they reverse this – I got a letter last week saying that they are declining that decision as my emigration date is recorded as 2016.
So, apparently, getting a green card nullifies your Canadian Residency status. Now I’m stuck scratching my head and wondering what the heck I am going to do. If I was considered a non-resident in 2016, and sold my principal residence in Canada in 2018, does that mean I owe the 25% non-resident taxes? We’re talking about $100,000 here. That’s more than the capital gains I made on the property, and I can’t come up with that. CRA has not asked for anything else yet – I am going to redo my 2017 taxes and get my $500 back that I paid out based on worldwide income…but waiting for them to actually ask for something and look into my 2018 taxes to and see if I sold property just feels like waiting for the other shoe to drop.
Does anyone have any similar experiences, or advice?
I suggest you go find yourself a very good accountant who is very well-versed in cross-border taxes.