+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Selling art

Maqqiemay

Oct 25, 2019
Hi, I'm in Canada on an open work permit but not finding as much work as i'd hoped.

Back home i worked part time as an artist and my question is, am i allowed to sell my art here ?
It would mainly be at farmers markets and such and wouldnt generate any huge amounts of money.

Any advice appreciated! Thank you.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi, I'm in Canada on an open work permit but not finding as much work as i'd hoped.

Back home i worked part time as an artist and my question is, am i allowed to sell my art here ?
It would mainly be at farmers markets and such and wouldnt generate any huge amounts of money.

Any advice appreciated! Thank you.
Yes - as long as you have a valid open work permit you're good to go.

Maqqiemay

Oct 25, 2019
Hi, thank you for your reply!

I have a follow up question..
How do I pay taxes on the income I made from my art?
I've been selling at farmets markets etc and did fairly well.

I don't have my own business or anything like that.. If anyone know where I can find more information I'd be very grateful. I can't seem to find anything.
Thank you.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth

I don't have my own business or anything like that.. If anyone know where I can find more information I'd be very grateful. I can't seem to find anything.
Thank you.
Self employed income when you file your tax return . In conjunction with your T1 you file a T2125, Business/Professional Income
You’d be in the Business category , Professional Is for those typically with designations,Drs, Lawyers etc
Here you’d declare your Gross profit , minus expenses , what you netted . Transfer amount to T1, that’s what you’d pay tax on. Income not supported by T slip
If your income is over $30k in four rolling calendar quarters you’d have to mandatorily register for a GST #, if under, you could register as voluntarily . Note, since your SIN would start with a 9, you’d have to register as a non resident registrant, if you elect to register
Here’s a tax guide to assist you
Adding if you are conducting business in a province, you have to get a business license . In Ontario that would be a Masters Business Licence, obtained thru Service Ontario .

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/forms-publications/publications/t4002.html

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

Thank you.
You actually do have your own business. Would make sure you are keeping all the receipts involved in running your business so you can claim expenses.