+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sell car imported temporarily on work permit from US

brahmaputra.g

Nov 10, 2018
Hi,

I can't go back to US and I don't hv valid visa and am planning to move out of Canada. How to deal with the car imported temporarily on work permit and registered in Ontario.
I can't drive to US to go there and sell to dealer .

Please help me here.

Regards,
Bpr

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
Hi,

I can't go back to US and I don't hv valid visa and am planning to move out of Canada. How to deal with the car imported temporarily on work permit and registered in Ontario.
I can't drive to US to go there and sell to dealer .

Please help me here.

Regards,
Bpr
Why do you need to sell it in US instead of selling it where you are.

brahmaputra.g

Nov 10, 2018
I am not interested to go back to USA nor interested to stay in Canada. So I wanted to sell this car which is temporarily imported when I moved to Canada 3 months ago from US. As per the rules, if I understood correctly the temporarily imported cars can't be sold in Canada. I can only import permanently after I get PR. My situation is different. I want to move out of canaCa to India this janJanu

Reactions: Meinik2

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
I am not interested to go back to USA nor interested to stay in Canada. So I wanted to sell this car which is temporarily imported when I moved to Canada 3 months ago from US. As per the rules, if I understood correctly the temporarily imported cars can't be sold in Canada. I can only import permanently after I get PR. My situation is different. I want to move out of canaCa to India this janJanu
No you can't sell the vehicle as you have not permanently and legally imported it. No duty has been paid on it.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/en/services/road/importing-vehicle/temporarily.html

"2. During a vehicle's stay in Canada
Do not use or dispose of the vehicle in any way that does not meet the terms of the declaration. For example, you may not donate, gift, sell, or permanently import the vehicle into Canada."

Reactions: Meinik2

brahmaputra.g

Nov 10, 2018
No you can't sell the vehicle as you have not permanently and legally imported it. No duty has been paid on it.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/en/services/road/importing-vehicle/temporarily.html

"2. During a vehicle's stay in Canada
Do not use or dispose of the vehicle in any way that does not meet the terms of the declaration. For example, you may not donate, gift, sell, or permanently import the vehicle into Canada."
So the only way is to export the vehicle. My question is export to whom ? I should know some one right in US to import vehicle? Can someone import vehicle on my behalf in US?
Are there any dealer who can buy it may be in US and I can export to their address

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
So the only way is to export the vehicle. My question is export to whom ? I should know some one right in US to import vehicle? Can someone import vehicle on my behalf in US?
Are there any dealer who can buy it may be in US and I can export to their address
This is not quite true. There is also the option of destroying the vehicle under CBSA supervision. That is permitted under Schedule VII as an alternative to returning it to the USA.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/en/services/road/importing-vehicle/temporarily/faq-importing-vehicles-temporarily-schedule-vii-declaration.html

If destroyed – Supervised by the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA): a ‘certified copy' of an E15 form, "Certificate of Destruction/Exportation" is required. Appointments must be scheduled in advance by contacting a regional Trade Compliance Division (TCD) office to have a CBSA officer witness destruction, inspect the disposed vehicle on site and confirm the complete destruction on an E15 form. For more information on this procedure, please contact CBSA at 1 800-461-9999 (toll free).

If destroyed – Without CBSA supervision: a certificate from an authorized disposal processing operation (not a recycler) is required. The certificate must include some identifiable reference to the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN), or serial number if none is assigned. In addition, pictures or a video clip recording the destruction process must show the complete demise of the vehicle. Dismantling, disassembly or recycling of parts is not acceptable.

We do not accept dismantling or recycling of parts as proof of destruction.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thats 2016 Altima SL , 17000USD . Can't dispose it that way. I want to sell it .
Please let me know the options.
As explained, you can't sell it in Canada since it was brought into Canada temporarily. You'll need to return to the US and sell it there. If you cannot return to the US, then have no options for selling the vehicle.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Thats 2016 Altima SL , 17000USD . Can't dispose it that way. I want to sell it .
Please let me know the options.
The FAQ that I linked to in the previous post has all the available information regarding your options.

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
You don't need to export this from Canada to USA since it was never "permanently" imported in Canada at first place. You will get B2, drive to the border with Bill of Sale/US title etc. to prove to US customs that car was bought originally in USA. Then go to USA dealer to sell the car.

P.S - I moved my car from USA to Canada temporarily on work permit and then took car back to USA after an year. I followed same process.

Reactions: brahmaputra.g

brahmaputra.g

Nov 10, 2018
You don't need to export this from Canada to USA since it was never "permanently" imported in Canada at first place. You will get B2, drive to the border with Bill of Sale/US title etc. to prove to US customs that car was bought originally in USA. Then go to USA dealer to sell the car.

P.S - I moved my car from USA to Canada temporarily on work permit and then took car back to USA after an year. I followed same process.
I like the process that you suggested. I ll apply for B2 visa. Thanks for help.
But I got couple of questions.

1. should I drive by myself ? can't I ask my frnds who has US visa to drive across border and sell there ? I HV couple of friends with B1 and also Canadian citizens. Can they drive n sell on my behalf?

2. Once you sold,should we submit evidence in customs as the proof ?