+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Self representation at Hearing Date or Lawyer?

UnRefugiado

Mar 24, 2018
Greeting Guys,

This time I wanted to open this topic in order of find people with similar situations or experiences from others that they know. I am currently waiting for my Refugee Hearing Date, I am still a Claimant.

I was represented by a Lawyer, but after we did the BOC and we submitted everything, my hearing got postponed I also did not see any enthusiasm from him any more, even more when I moved from Ontario to Alberta. Due different local times, lack of commitment and misunderstanding, I decided to terminate all my legal relation with him as a representative in my case.

Now, I am looking for a lawyer but at the same time I am thinking on representing myself at the hearing date.

I would like to know if any of you have represented by yourself at the hearing date? Your experience, how was it and kind of what to expect?

Is it a must to have a Lawyer representing you? Is it better? What do you guys suggest based on your experience.

I really appreciate any information provided.

God bless you guys!

pharmjam

Oct 24, 2018
Greeting Guys,

This time I wanted to open this topic in order of find people with similar situations or experiences from others that they know. I am currently waiting for my Refugee Hearing Date, I am still a Claimant.

I was represented by a Lawyer, but after we did the BOC and we submitted everything, my hearing got postponed I also did not see any enthusiasm from him any more, even more when I moved from Ontario to Alberta. Due different local times, lack of commitment and misunderstanding, I decided to terminate all my legal relation with him as a representative in my case.

Now, I am looking for a lawyer but at the same time I am thinking on representing myself at the hearing date.

I would like to know if any of you have represented by yourself at the hearing date? Your experience, how was it and kind of what to expect?

Is it a must to have a Lawyer representing you? Is it better? What do you guys suggest based on your experience.

God bless you guys!
I used a lawyer (quite costly but was worth it in my opinion) but I don't think legal representation is a must. It may depends on the complexity of your case and a lawyer can assess your case and help you navigate the process. During my hearing, my lawyer was helpful in clarification in my overall intention etc. So I personally would suggest using a lawyer esp if you aren't confident about your case.

Reactions: UnRefugiado

live&love

Apr 25, 2018
My lawyer had a very big role in getting an approval. You can represent yourself, but I don’t recommend you that.

Reactions: pharmjam

Bornlucky

May 15, 2018
Greeting Guys,

God bless you guys!
Hello, when dealing with Immigration laws, generally, you are dealing with legal technicalities such as thresholds of decision-making or the weight given to differing pieces of evidence, as well as providing the overall articulation of whatever circumstances exist. In the refugee sphere where there are layers - and what I mean by "layers" are the appeal mechanisms - it becomes chess instead of checkers.

Did the decision-maker properly assess the evidence, was there an apprehension of bias, blah, blah, blah....

Not having a lawyer at the beginning of the process cannot help you if things go south and you get a negative decision. There are filing deadlines for appeals and finding and making a new lawyer familiar with your case, where it went wrong and what remedies may exist - well, the challenges in this are obvious.

Genuine refugees should have genuine immigration lawyers presenting genuine evidence in order to receive protection from persecution as it is described under the 1951 UN Convention for Refugees. You can trust the IRB alone, or include the Canadian legal community in your ordeal and struggle to be safe.

UnRefugiado

Mar 24, 2018
Thanks a lot for the information shared guys, I really appreciate it.

I haven't gotten any hearing date yet, but anyways, eventually I will be looking for a representative and let him to go through my file to get familiar. (Some of their fees are exagerated)

As I was told that the Claimant is the only one who talks, but reading all that, I have also have to consider other facts, a lawyer can give his perspective based on the Canadian Laws and explain the genuine case if a misunderstanding or something else happens while at the Hearing.

Hopefully everything is going to be alright as everything is genuine

Reactions: live&love