+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

self-quarantine question

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Your quarantine measures are applicable only for covid positive cases whoever are asked to be at home due to mild symptoms. And people dont travel with symptoms and they are anyway not allowed.

So how about this: Meeting cbsa inspection officers while inspection and paying the fees. Taking a cab to hotel (no autonomous car hence meeting the driver). Meeting the hotel reservation guys. What about the people in elevator. What about the food delivery guys many dont come till the door and they would stop outside the building for which you go and collect it from that guy. If one forgets his medication and one needs to go to pharmacy/store to get milk/products/items for family/kids as not all products are available for delivery/instacart and not all restaurants deliver food. So you can meet all these guys while under quarantine but not take the car and pickup the food from restaurant/grocery store where you dont actually meet anyone which you think that this would be a problem.

Your house arrest quarantine is for covid positive patients, not for the travellers who dont have covid.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/travel-restrictions-exemptions.html#quarantine
Here it doesnt say about your concept of house arrest. One should have a plan but plan is not for house arrest which they would have clearly mentioned that they would be house arrest and things would be delivered to them.
What could simply go wrong with your reasoning?
Search the term asymptomatic, there yah go

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Your quarantine measures are applicable only for covid positive cases whoever are asked to be at home due to mild symptoms. And people dont travel with symptoms and they are anyway not allowed.

So how about this: Meeting cbsa inspection officers while inspection and paying the fees. Taking a cab to hotel (no autonomous car hence meeting the driver). Meeting the hotel reservation guys. What about the people in elevator. What about the food delivery guys many dont come till the door and they would stop outside the building for which you go and collect it from that guy. If one forgets his medication and one needs to go to pharmacy/store to get milk/products/items for family/kids as not all products are available for delivery/instacart and not all restaurants deliver food. So you can meet all these guys while under quarantine but not take the car and pickup the food from restaurant/grocery store where you dont actually meet anyone which you think that this would be a problem.

Your house arrest quarantine is for covid positive patients, not for the travellers who dont have covid.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/travel-restrictions-exemptions.html#quarantine
Here it doesnt say about your concept of house arrest. One should have a plan but plan is not for house arrest which they would have clearly mentioned that they would be house arrest and things would be delivered to them.
Yes all travellers are supposed to act like they have covid until proven otherwise. The house arrest is your term but quarantine e is essentially the same thing. You are supposed to enter Canada and go directly to your quarantine location and not leave for 14 days. No stopping for groceries. That is why an AirBnB or hotel suite may be more comfortable.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

You need to plan in advance for not being able to go out and get things for 14 days. If a delivery person doesn’t want to leave the food at your door even after you mention you are quarantining you can ask the concierge to leave it at the door, knock and you will open the door in a few minutes so they have time to move away and not have any contact with you. You should avoid elevators with anyone else or explain you are going into quarantine and suggest the others wait for the next elevator if someone tries to enter the elevator you are in.

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
Given some cases are asymptomatic, play safe and stay in house. Its just 14 days. There is really no reason (unless emergency) to step out risking public health.
What could simply go wrong with your reasoning?
Search the term asymptomatic, there yah go
I am not suggesting to go for shopping spree and inside the store or meet anyone.
This defeats the purpose of quarantine. You should arrange for delivery of groceries and medicines, if needed. That is why bnb's are prefered than hotels for quarantine.
Yes all travellers are supposed to act like they have covid until proven otherwise. The house arrest is your term but quarantine e is essentially the same thing. You are supposed to enter Canada and go directly to your quarantine location and not leave for 14 days. No stopping for groceries. That is why an AirBnB or hotel suite may be more comfortable.
Correct, not all can book in these type of hotels.
You need to plan in advance for not being able to go out and get things for 14 days. If a delivery person doesn’t want to leave the food at your door even after you mention you are quarantining you can ask the concierge to leave it at the door, knock and you will open the door in a few minutes so they have time to move away and not have any contact with you. You should avoid elevators with anyone else or explain you are going into quarantine and suggest the others wait for the next elevator if someone tries to enter the elevator you are in.
all i am saying is that, if one doesnt get their item/food/medicine they need that are not deliverable then they can go and pick it up which is same as being inside as in both cases you dont meet anyone. I still dont get how this is unsafe(or its against quarantine rules).

I dont understand how you all have assumption that it needs to be house arrest which was not specified and i am not even suggesting to meet anyone for which i already mentioned as "be in parking lot and open the trunk and they would deliver the items - you dont need to go inside at all".

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I am not suggesting to go for shopping spree and inside the store or meet anyone.

all i am saying is that, if one doesnt get their item/food/medicine they need that are not deliverable then they can go and pick it up which is same as being inside as in both cases you dont meet anyone. I still dont get how this is unsafe(or its against quarantine rules).

I dont understand how you all have assumption that it needs to be house arrest which was not specified and i am not even suggesting to meet anyone for which i already mentioned as "be in parking lot and open the trunk and they would deliver the items - you dont need to go inside at all".
Covid is aerosolized so by opening the trunk an employee could get exposed. If you are in a hotel, condo or apartment building you have to use communal spaces and you could have contact with other people. You aren’t supposed to go out for anything. There are groups online willing to help quarantined people or even a hotel concierge can help you if you can’t get what you want delivered.

guca

Star Member
Aug 24, 2018

Before booking any kind of hotel, please make sure groceries and food can be delivered at that location. That is why officers at the border asks for your plan and how will you manage your quarantine.

Reactions: canuck78

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Quarantine requires preplanning and if people are to willing to stay inside for 14 days then they should reconsider coming to Canada. Unfortunately Canada doesn’t do a great job explaining quarantine and others seem to have a very lax idea of quarantine and want to observe a minimized contact versus quarantine. As someone who is immunocompromised I have to limit where I go because I fear that others aren’t following the rules!

Reactions: Nick1233

Nick1233

Star Member
Dec 16, 2019

Not just a question of coming into proximity with other folks in stores. One could end up touching surfaces/things etc and it could spread that way to the next person.

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
Quarantine requires preplanning and if people are to willing to stay inside for 14 days then they should reconsider coming to Canada. Unfortunately Canada doesn’t do a great job explaining quarantine and others seem to have a very lax idea of quarantine and want to observe a minimized contact versus quarantine. As someone who is immunocompromised I have to limit where I go because I fear that others aren’t following the rules!
I think that visitors are getting frequent calls and messages on handling delivery of food etc and motivational count down messages etc. The cases count shows results. So Canada seems to be doing better.
I doubt that we can monitor each and every traveller in reality about their movements with the current infrastructure/rules.
Not just a question of coming into proximity with other folks in stores. One could end up touching surfaces/things etc and it could spread that way to the next person.
Agree.

vigneshc6495

Aug 20, 2019
As guca said, check the delivery availability of that city's postal code at https://www.instacart.ca/.
Also you need to note that most grocery stores and restaurants are allowing for curbside pickup where you just need to be in parking lot and open the trunk and they would deliver the items - you dont need to go inside at all. But if you are renting the car then this can be an option which you can verify couple of grocery stores and restaurants in that city.

I believe that quarantine is nothing but dont involve with other people unnecessarily and dont go out unnecessarily. So certainly you can go and take you meal inside the hotel and pickup your groceries and food from the stores and restaurants. All essentials are certainly not restricted.
What? LOL

@ccqq - please don't listen to that guy. He doesn't know what he is talking about. You should not step out of your hotel room until your quarantine ends. Definitely not to pick up milk and food, like he just described. You should make all arrangements as necessary to have your essentials delivered to your hotel room, until your quarantine ends.

cicuser

Star Member
Oct 11, 2017
@ccqq This is from personal experience (we have very recently moved to Canada from the US). Your quarantine plan must be solid - as in plan for a place where you do not need to access public spaces or even public entry points, also plan for getting food/grocery delivered at the doorstep. Do not take chance with this as you do not want to be in a position where you have to justify your plan to the immigration officer at the border and possibly face fines or penalty. Canada is very strict in their definition of quarantine. When they call (we got 3 calls for each member of our family) to check on you during the 14 day period - besides questions regarding access to food/grocery, they also ask about things like how are you accessing fresh air and the understanding is that you can only access fresh air on private backyard, patio or balcony. So do not think about stepping out of private property during those 14 days.

Reactions: canuck78 and guca

despairedh1b

Star Member
Oct 7, 2018
Quarantine is strict - they also call (though I never got one, just two emails).

Depending on where you land try grocerygetaway for groceries. Had them all delivered. Some days when I was tired of my own cooking, I did doordash for some awesome Punjabi dhaba food. For breakfast, since I was staying in one of the Marriott's I had them delivered - if you are doing Airbnb, just get oats and a ton of Eggs - grocerygetaway had a minimum of $50 CAD (not sure about others). Atleast my priority for the 14 days was eating super healthy and keep my immune system up.

It was basically like a house arrest - my hotel atleast was pretty strict, they did not allow you to come out of the hotel room. Quarantine started the day I land and I returned on the 15th day early morning.

One other note, I had only checked for my information when I landed, but don't see much mention - If you for some unfortunate reason absolutely need to see the doctor, you can't Uber - You have to either have a friend pick and drop you OR if you don't know anyone, have an ambulance pick you up.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
@ccqq This is from personal experience (we have very recently moved to Canada from the US). Your quarantine plan must be solid - as in plan for a place where you do not need to access public spaces or even public entry points, also plan for getting food/grocery delivered at the doorstep. Do not take chance with this as you do not want to be in a position where you have to justify your plan to the immigration officer at the border and possibly face fines or penalty. Canada is very strict in their definition of quarantine. When they call (we got 3 calls for each member of our family) to check on you during the 14 day period - besides questions regarding access to food/grocery, they also ask about things like how are you accessing fresh air and the understanding is that you can only access fresh air on private backyard, patio or balcony. So do not think about stepping out of private property during those 14 days.
If they can't stepping out of private property during those 14 days, I wondered why my neighbors (after their US vacation with their RV) can do so during the weekly curbside pickup. Probably it was very loose back in April.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
If they can't stepping out of private property during those 14 days, I wondered why my neighbors (after their US vacation with their RV) can do so during the weekly curbside pickup. Probably it was very loose back in April.
They can put out their garbage and go right to their curb as long as they stay away from people.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
They can put out their garbage and go right to their curb as long as they stay away from people.
But they didn't stay away from other people. They were talking to other people without practising social distances!