+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

self-quarantine question

ccqq

Dec 24, 2018
Hello, I plan to go to Canada next week. Now I am preparing the self-quarantine plan.

Because I cannot go out for shopping, I think that we should order everything online for delivery. Like grocery, food and more. But the grocery deliver service from like loblaws, cornershop only deliver to big city. Do you guys know more APP can deliver grocery to small city? I personal do not want to live in big city for the COVID reason, small city is more safety.

Another question is that what is 14 days, so if I reserve a hotel, I should reserve 14 nights or 13 nights (from in to out should be 14 days)

Thanks.

guca

Star Member
Aug 24, 2018
Hello, I plan to go to Canada next week. Now I am preparing the self-quarantine plan.

Because I cannot go out for shopping, I think that we should order everything online for delivery. Like grocery, food and more. But the grocery deliver service from like loblaws, cornershop only deliver to big city. Do you guys know more APP can deliver grocery to small city? I personal do not want to live in big city for the COVID reason, small city is more safety.

Another question is that what is 14 days, so if I reserve a hotel, I should reserve 14 nights or 13 nights (from in to out should be 14 days)

Thanks.
Check if instacart delivery is there where you plan to quarantine. We used instacart delivery for groceries from Walmart. ubereats/doordash for food.

ccqq

Dec 24, 2018
Thanks for your quick reply. So can we go to the hotel dinning room for breakfast? The hotel offer free breakfast anyway.

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016

Thanks.
As guca said, check the delivery availability of that city's postal code at https://www.instacart.ca/.
Also you need to note that most grocery stores and restaurants are allowing for curbside pickup where you just need to be in parking lot and open the trunk and they would deliver the items - you dont need to go inside at all. But if you are renting the car then this can be an option which you can verify couple of grocery stores and restaurants in that city.

Thanks for your quick reply. So can we go to the hotel dinning room for breakfast? The hotel offer free breakfast anyway.
I believe that quarantine is nothing but dont involve with other people unnecessarily and dont go out unnecessarily. So certainly you can go and take you meal inside the hotel and pickup your groceries and food from the stores and restaurants. All essentials are certainly not restricted.

ccqq

Dec 24, 2018
Thanks. So we can even go to the grocery store for drive through grocery pick up?

As guca said, check the delivery availability of that city's postal code at https://www.instacart.ca/.
Also you need to note that most grocery stores and restaurants are allowing for curbside pickup where you just need to be in parking lot and open the trunk and they would deliver the items - you dont need to go inside at all. But if you are renting the car then this can be an option which you can verify couple of grocery stores and restaurants in that city.

I believe that quarantine is nothing but dont involve with other people unnecessarily and dont go out unnecessarily. So certainly you can go and take you meal inside the hotel and pickup your groceries and food from the stores and restaurants. All essentials are certainly not restricted.

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Thanks. So we can even go to the grocery store for drive through grocery pick up?
Correct all essentials are certainly allowed. Quarantine is not house arrest as per my understanding ;) because we cant get food from a foreign country without going out while staying alone without knowing anyone here.

zaid.ahmed23

Oct 30, 2019
Day 1 starts when you land. So if you land on Monday, that is counted as Day 1 of your 14days. Once the 14th day is completed at mid-night, your quarantine officially ends.

ccqq

Dec 24, 2018
Day 1 starts when you land. So if you land on Monday, that is counted as Day 1 of your 14days. Once the 14th day is completed at mid-night, your quarantine officially ends.

Thanks, i understand now. So still need to reserve 14 nights hotel.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Correct all essentials are certainly allowed. Quarantine is not house arrest as per my understanding ;) because we cant get food from a foreign country without going out while staying alone without knowing anyone here.
This is incorrect. Quarantine is essentially like house arrest. You can’t leave to pick up groceries. You need to get them delivered right to your door.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

This is incorrect. You can’t go to a hotel dining room. You must remain in your hotel room or home for the 14 days.

Reactions: danilorniepes

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
No. The hotel may be willing to bring you free breakfast and leave it at your door if you explain that you are in quarantine. If you go to the dining room you are exposing all the other hotel occupants and employees this defeating the purpose of quarantining.

Reactions: danilorniepes

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
This is incorrect. Quarantine is essentially like house arrest. You can’t leave to pick up groceries. You need to get them delivered right to your door.
No. The hotel may be willing to bring you free breakfast and leave it at your door if you explain that you are in quarantine. If you go to the dining room you are exposing all the other hotel occupants and employees this defeating the purpose of quarantining.
Your quarantine measures are applicable only for covid positive cases whoever are asked to be at home due to mild symptoms. And people dont travel with symptoms and they are anyway not allowed.

So how about this: Meeting cbsa inspection officers while inspection and paying the fees. Taking a cab to hotel (no autonomous car hence meeting the driver). Meeting the hotel reservation guys. What about the people in elevator. What about the food delivery guys many dont come till the door and they would stop outside the building for which you go and collect it from that guy. If one forgets his medication and one needs to go to pharmacy/store to get milk/products/items for family/kids as not all products are available for delivery/instacart and not all restaurants deliver food. So you can meet all these guys while under quarantine but not take the car and pickup the food from restaurant/grocery store where you dont actually meet anyone which you think that this would be a problem.

Your house arrest quarantine is for covid positive patients, not for the travellers who dont have covid.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/travel-restrictions-exemptions.html#quarantine
Here it doesnt say about your concept of house arrest. One should have a plan but plan is not for house arrest which they would have clearly mentioned that they would be house arrest and things would be delivered to them.

Last edited:

guca

Star Member
Aug 24, 2018
Your quarantine measures are applicable only for covid positive cases that are asked to be at home.

So how about this: Meeting cbsa inspection officers while inspection and paying the fees. Taking a cab to hotel (no autonomous car hence meeting the driver). Meeting the hotel reservation guys. What about the people in elevator. What about the food delivery guys many dont come till the door and they would stop outside the building for which you go and collect it from that guy. If one forgets his medication and one needs to go to pharmacy/store to get milk/products/items for family/kids as not all products are available for delivery/instacart and not all restaurants deliver food. So you can meet all these guys while under quarantine but not take the car and pickup the food from restaurant/grocery store where you dont actually meet anyone which you think that this would be a problem.

Your house arrest quarantine is for covid positive patients, not for the travellers who dont have covid.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/travel-restrictions-exemptions.html#quarantine
Here it doesnt say about your concept of house arrest. One should have a plan but plan is not for house arrest which they would have clearly mentioned that they would be house arrest and things would be delivered to them.
This defeats the purpose of quarantine. You should arrange for delivery of groceries and medicines, if needed. That is why bnb's are prefered than hotels for quarantine.

Nick1233

Star Member
Dec 16, 2019
Your quarantine measures are applicable only for covid positive cases whoever are asked to be at home due to mild symptoms. And people dont travel with symptoms and they are anyway not allowed.

Given some cases are asymptomatic, play safe and stay in house. Its just 14 days. There is really no reason (unless emergency) to step out risking public health.