+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Self Employed Work Permit R205

Alexusz

Nov 30, 2016
Hello,

So my situation is a bit of an odd one, just hoping to get a bit of advice.

I'm currently self-employed in the UK running a YouTube channel full time (for approx 2 years), I've previously worked in Canada in Marketing at Telus working with local filmmakers to help promote their films. My girlfriend in Canadian and lives in Canada.

I've seen on CIC that I can apply for a WP application under R205 economic/cultural benefits as a self employed person. Does anyone have any experience of a similar process?
My plan is currently to apply for that work permit, then if approved move in with my partner then after a year she's said she'd like to sponsor myself for PR.

I don't have enough points for Express Entry nor enough funds for an investor visa so I'm in a bit of a tricky situation as I could try and get a job at a Canadian firm but my self employment income is higher than id get at a position working for a company.

Thanks in advance

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello,

So my situation is a bit of an odd one, just hoping to get a bit of advice.

I'm currently self-employed in the UK running a YouTube channel full time (for approx 2 years), I've previously worked in Canada in Marketing at Telus working with local filmmakers to help promote their films. My girlfriend in Canadian and lives in Canada.

I've seen on CIC that I can apply for a WP application under R205 economic/cultural benefits as a self employed person. Does anyone have any experience of a similar process?
My plan is currently to apply for that work permit, then if approved move in with my partner then after a year she's said she'd like to sponsor myself for PR.

I don't have enough points for Express Entry nor enough funds for an investor visa so I'm in a bit of a tricky situation as I could try and get a job at a Canadian firm but my self employment income is higher than id get at a position working for a company.

Thanks in advance
I think you will likely struggle to prove the benefit is significant / notable / important which is a core requirement for this visa. However you can certainly give it a shot. We really don't see very many applications here under this exemption since it's difficult to qualify.

I assume you've already had an IEC visa and that's not an option?

Alexusz

Nov 30, 2016
I think you will likely struggle to prove the benefit is significant / notable / important which is a core requirement for this visa. However you can certainly give it a shot. We really don't see very many applications here under this exemption since it's difficult to qualify.

I assume you've already had an IEC visa and that's not an option?
Thanks for your reply, I've already used my IEC visa from 2015 - 2017 so that is no longer an option unfortunately. I'm tempted to apply and just see if I can get through, if I can't I'm tempted to study for a year but it's been a decade since I've been in any form of education.

I spend several months in Canada at a time currently as as long as I have an internet connection I can 'remote work' to the UK, In my mind it would make sense to get a work permit so I pay all my tax etc in Canada rather than in the UK but I know it's not as simple as that.