Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-07-2014
Med's Request
28-01-2015
VISA ISSUED...
07-05-2015
Hello, fellow Canadians and Canadians-to-become!

I'm thinking about applying for the Self-Employed program as a translator. They have this profession in the list, I work in this field for 15 years, have a stable network of clients, and fully support myself and my family (and of course I can easily prove this).

However, the visa consultants I've contacted do not seem to be too interested. One has told me that the judgment on "level of contribution to Canadian culture" actually depends on the individual visa officer and it is extremely difficult to argue this decision. They have also added that translators per se are not likely to be accepted (but what is the point of keeping this profession in the list then?).

Another agency has simply told me that they would likely be unsuccessful with my application, but did not provide any details.

So I'm thinking here: what is really the problem? Is it my profession, or maybe the lawyers prefer clients with applications that they're used to fill in?

Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Reactions: natbastidas

Vicksy

Star Member
Sep 2, 2016
Hello, fellow Canadians and Canadians-to-become!

I'm thinking about applying for the Self-Employed program as a translator. They have this profession in the list, I work in this field for 15 years, have a stable network of clients, and fully support myself and my family (and of course I can easily prove this).

However, the visa consultants I've contacted do not seem to be too interested. One has told me that the judgment on "level of contribution to Canadian culture" actually depends on the individual visa officer and it is extremely difficult to argue this decision. They have also added that translators per se are not likely to be accepted (but what is the point of keeping this profession in the list then?).

Another agency has simply told me that they would likely be unsuccessful with my application, but did not provide any details.

So I'm thinking here: what is really the problem? Is it my profession, or maybe the lawyers prefer clients with applications that they're used to fill in?

Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks in advance!
Hi,

I'm about to apply under this category. Have you succeeded with your application?

GeorgeOu

Apr 25, 2020
I am also a freelance translator, but I've only been working in this industry for roughly 4 years.

At my individual level, I think their answers showed limited value if they could not provide details to convince me. I'm DIYing my application and there might be bumps in the road, but everything seems fine so far.
Why don't you take a shot by yourself? It could do no harm. :)

Good luck.