+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Self Employed Photographer

paramveerz

Aug 7, 2019
Gurgaon
Hi,
I'm Param. I've been looking around for tips and advice on how to get a job which fits my credentials and would appreciate every help possible here as I do not have a clue about the provinces and still in the starting stage of express entry.

I'm a Wedding Photographer and run my own company. I have a masters degree in Journalism and Communication and looking forward to hunt for a job that fits the same stream.

I have the following questions at the moment :

1. Will Canada consider my 5 year of experience ( since I started my business ) via my bank statements as in my country ( India ) we need not charge tax till we have surpassed a threshold amount of Rs. 40,00,000. Hence I did not take a GST registration. Although, I do have my bank statements dating from 2015 and a Service Tax number which was later surrendered due to not reaching the threshold amount.
I hoping it does because that will impact my score.

2. When we talk about media and photography, which areas are preferable to keep on a priority list ?

3. My Facebook, Instagram accounts were all started in 2014 but current bank account was created in 2015. Will they count it as a 5 year or a 4 year experience ( assuming they will consider it ).

Thank you for your kindly help.. hope this thread helps other self employed professionals too.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi,
I'm Param. I've been looking around for tips and advice on how to get a job which fits my credentials and would appreciate every help possible here as I do not have a clue about the provinces and still in the starting stage of express entry.

I'm a Wedding Photographer and run my own company. I have a masters degree in Journalism and Communication and looking forward to hunt for a job that fits the same stream.

1. Will Canada consider my 5 year of experience ( since I started my business ) via my bank statements as in my country ( India ) we need not charge tax till we have surpassed a threshold amount of Rs. 40,00,000. Hence I did not take a GST registration. Although, I do have my bank statements dating from 2015 and a Service Tax number which was later surrendered due to not reaching the threshold amount.

2. When we talk about media and photography, which areas are preferable to keep on a priority list ?

3. My Facebook, Instagram accounts were all started in 2014 but current bank account was created in 2015. Will they count it as a 5 year or a 4 year experience ( assuming they will consider it ).

Thank you for your kindly help.. hope this thread helps other self employed professionals too.
I would recommend you look into the Express Entry program and forget about applying through the Self-Employment program. To qualify for the Self-Employment program, you have to be internationally recognized in your field.

If you have questions about the Express Entry program, you should be posting them to the Express Entry section of the forum rather than here.

To determine how many years of work experience you have, you will have to demonstrate income earned through your jobs. To count one year of work experience, you will need to show that you worked for at least 30 hours per week for 52 separate weeks (i.e. the job needs to be full time). When your facebook and instagram accounts were opened will not determine how many years of work experience you have.

Nornor

Star Member
Jul 3, 2018
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
I would recommend you look into the Express Entry program and forget about applying through the Self-Employment program. To qualify for the Self-Employment program, you have to be internationally recognized in your field.

If you have questions about the Express Entry program, you should be posting them to the Express Entry section of the forum rather than here.

To determine how many years of work experience you have, you will have to demonstrate income earned through your jobs. To count one year of work experience, you will need to show that you worked for at least 30 hours per week for 52 separate weeks (i.e. the job needs to be full time). When your facebook and instagram accounts were opened will not determine how many years of work experience you have.

You are wrong!!!! He doesnt have to be ‘internationally recognized’ to qualify. Please go on the 2018 Self-Employed thread and read people’s success stories, most of them were just local self-employed people in the relevant fields in their various countries. Even IRCC does not say one must be ‘internationally recognized to qualify’. Instead it says 2 years self- employed experience OR participation at world class level which is applicable to performers. A self-emplpyed photographer is qualified. He just needs to prove his experience beyond reasonable doubt, show proof of funds and convince VO that he is willing and able to be self-employed in Canada

paramveerz

Aug 7, 2019
Gurgaon
You are wrong!!!! He doesnt have to be ‘internationally recognized’ to qualify. Please go on the 2018 Self-Employed thread and read people’s success stories, most of them were just local self-employed people in the relevant fields in their various countries. Even IRCC does not say one must be ‘internationally recognized to qualify’. Instead it says 2 years self- employed experience OR participation at world class level which is applicable to performers. A self-emplpyed photographer is qualified. He just needs to prove his experience beyond reasonable doubt, show proof of funds and convince VO that he is willing and able to be self-employed in Canada
Thank you so much, it really helps me a lot and boosts my confidence. I'll work around that. Although my bank account is under my firm name and is opened since 2015 so there shouldn't be any issue with the experience proof and funds.
Now i'll just prepare for giving IELTS again and try cracking the Writing Task 2 to get better than the prev score of 7.5.. thank you, so much again, now i can focus on other things.

Reactions: Nornor

Azadehkhb

Feb 11, 2020
Hi,

Hello
Im photographer too and a want to apply as a self employed canada. I want to ask weather you were successful or not? What should i do?

Sunnyblue100

Star Member
Aug 11, 2019
Thank you so much, it really helps me a lot and boosts my confidence. I'll work around that. Although my bank account is under my firm name and is opened since 2015 so there shouldn't be any issue with the experience proof and funds.
Now i'll just prepare for giving IELTS again and try cracking the Writing Task 2 to get better than the prev score of 7.5.. thank you, so much again, now i can focus on other things.
IELTS 7.5 will do, concentrate on work evidence, reference letters and Co

dhruvnarang

May 19, 2021
Hi Param, have you been able to get the pr? what is your current status. I am too a wedding photographer and want to apply through self employed program

milon45

Star Member
Jul 10, 2023
Hi,

2. When we talk about media and Lisbon photographer, which areas are preferable to keep on a priority list ?

I am a Wedding Photographer moving to Japan from Australia, and I would like to know the best way to find agencies or wedding planners, and if anyone knows of any. Any other advice will be greatly appreciated.

milon45

Star Member
Jul 10, 2023
Hi,

I'm a San Antonio Photographer and run my own company. I have a masters degree in Journalism and Communication and looking forward to hunt for a job that fits the same stream.

1. Regarding your experience, Express Entry typically considers the last ten years of work experience. You can present your bank statements and any other relevant documentation to showcase your five years of experience as a wedding photographer. The absence of GST registration shouldn't be a major issue, but it's essential to provide clear documentation of your work and income.
  2. In the field of media and photography, cities like Toronto, Vancouver, and Montreal are known for vibrant creative industries. Explore job opportunities in these areas, as they host numerous events, media outlets, and creative agencies where your skills might be highly sought after.
  3. Your social media account start dates might not directly impact your work experience calculation. Express Entry tends to focus more on formal work experience. However, having a strong online presence could potentially complement your job application and showcase your portfolio.