+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Self-Employed Application 2018

dsgn

Star Member
Oct 30, 2020
This forum has been very helpful. I thank all. Pls am kind of worried on the age of funds. Do I allow 3 or 6 months before printing my bank statement prior to submitting my application?
2. Can anyone help me out with comprehensive documents check list or link to it.
Grateful

comerunning19

Sep 12, 2019
Canada
This forum has been very helpful. I thank all. Pls am kind of worried on the age of funds. Do I allow 3 or 6 months before printing my bank statement prior to submitting my application?
2. Can anyone help me out with comprehensive documents check list or link to it.
Grateful
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/application-permanent-residence-federal-self-employed-persons-quebec-selected-self-employed-persons.html

Form IMM5784 is the check list for this programme.

dsgn

Star Member
Oct 30, 2020
2. Can anyone help me out with comprehensive documents check
Thanks sir

j708angel

Sep 11, 2019
Hi everyone,

This thread has been very helpful in learning about this program. Could someone have a look at my profile and see if it's feasible to apply?

• I just graduated university with a Bachelor and seeking employment
  • I did 2 internships with Canadian companies, got paid well but only for 7 months
  • I was a volunteer writer for a local newspaper that focuses on Canadian culture and events for 3 years, not paid work
  • Currently doing freelance writing for other publications in Canada, though they don't pay a lot...
The requirement seems kinda vague with the contribution to canada culture thing so i'm not sure if my profile is good to apply.

Any replies are appreciated!
Hi there,
The program's basic requirements are listed "
  • have relevant experience in cultural activities or athletics and
  • be willing and able to make a significant contribution to the cultural or athletic life of Canada "
But, the actual requirements are more than listed if you want to stand out among all the amazing applicants. To pass this program an applicant should prove both economic and cultural contributions to Canada.
I guess you may be qualified for the cultural part but not the economic part if you don't get paid much. But the economic part is very important, especially after covid. My canadian lawyer highly suggested me to list the job offers I can provide in my business plan.

A qualified applicant should be able to make a good living on his/her self-employed work. It's not just a hobby but should be more like a successful cultural or athletics related business. Let's say a basic living cost in a city like Vancouver for one person could be around 3000 CAD. If you only make less than 3000 per month and your target city is Vancouver, that's too difficlt to impress the immigration officer.

So apart from the cultural contribution you can make, you may need to prove to the immigration officer that you have made good money through writing in the past three years, and prepare a solid practical business plan to make officers believe that you're able to continue this by self-employ in Canada , if better to provide job opportunities to local Canadians. Then you should be qualified. That's what I did in my application. Hope it can help.

j708angel

Sep 11, 2019
I submitted my application on the 16th of march 2020 and didn't receive the AoR

When did you receive your AoR?
Y
I submitted my application on the 16th of march 2020 and didn't receive the AoR

When did you receive your AoR?
It could be delayed because of covid. I saw from other forums saying that it may take more than 6 months to get AOR for applications after March.

Devinlok29

Oct 29, 2020
Hi there,
The program's basic requirements are listed "
  • have relevant experience in cultural activities or athletics and
  • be willing and able to make a significant contribution to the cultural or athletic life of Canada "
But, the actual requirements are more than listed if you want to stand out among all the amazing applicants. To pass this program an applicant should prove both economic and cultural contributions to Canada.
I guess you may be qualified for the cultural part but not the economic part if you don't get paid much. But the economic part is very important, especially after covid. My canadian lawyer highly suggested me to list the job offers I can provide in my business plan.

A qualified applicant should be able to make a good living on his/her self-employed work. It's not just a hobby but should be more like a successful cultural or athletics related business. Let's say a basic living cost in a city like Vancouver for one person could be around 3000 CAD. If you only make less than 3000 per month and your target city is Vancouver, that's too difficlt to impress the immigration officer.

So apart from the cultural contribution you can make, you may need to prove to the immigration officer that you have made good money through writing in the past three years, and prepare a solid practical business plan to make officers believe that you're able to continue this by self-employ in Canada , if better to provide job opportunities to local Canadians. Then you should be qualified. That's what I did in my application. Hope it can help.
Ah i see. That's interesting. I'll have a look at it again since COVID is not helping me find jobs during this time. Hope you got your PR card! :)

pathak2016

May 29, 2016
FINALLY..
My journey is almost over.. Received COPR on 15th March... Now the last step, landing, is what left.
This forum Self-Employed 2018 really helped me.
Here is the overview of final timeline

NOC 5131
Started immigration preparation in March 2018.
Sent File in June 2018
File Received: July 2018
AOR: August 2018
Interview Request: October 2019 (Delhi Visa Office)
Medical Request and Pre-Arrival: October 2019
Medical Passed: November 2019
Passport Request & COPR : March 2020

Summary: My journey was very much unpredictable. However, I did my best. Went through previous cases, studied and prepared file accordingly. For this particular category, Immigration agent was not much help except preparing and organising file.

Suggestion: For this kind of file, you should go for immigration lawyer. And applicant need to be prepared for interview. Be honest about everything. Don’t be dependent on agent.

I wish best for each and everyone in this forum..
Have you taken any help from Immigration Lawyer? Can you suggest any Immigration Lawyer?

pathak2016

May 29, 2016
We just got a letter saying: "We are pleased to inform you that you, your spouse and dependants can now receive free pre-arrival services funded by the Government of Canada. These services are available before you arrive and are meant to better prepare you for life in Canada." But the rest of the online info hasn't changed and still says "determining eligibility." Dare we hope??
Hi, have you appointed any immigration lawyer? Any business plan you submitted at the time of your application?

JaunRaza

Star Member
Mar 27, 2017
UAE
Category........
FSW
App. Filed.......
12-08-2019
AOR Received.
12-08-1988
Hello Folks,

I am confused with the latest information on cic.gc,ca official website. have they updated the eligible NOCs.? because when I applied under cultural activities only a few NOC were given now they have mentioned to many NOC like almost all.

This page is saying>>>> https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=291&top=6

Under the Self-Employed Persons Program, what does cultural activities mean?
Cultural activities include jobs generally seen as part of Canada’s artistic and cultural fields. Examples include:
  • authors and writers,
  • creative and performing artists,
  • musicians,
  • painters,
  • sculptors and other visual artists,
  • technical support and other jobs in motion pictures,
  • creative designers and
  • craftspeople.
Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC) provides a full list of qualifying activities for self-employed persons.

Thanks.

dsgn

Star Member
Oct 30, 2020
-----------------------------------------------------

Dear Sir,
I am a graphic designer. I intend to go through the self-employed. I'd be happy to send you a business plan to take advantage of that template.

thanks.

best wishes,
Kereng Bandari

comerunning19

Sep 12, 2019
Canada
Hello Folks,

I am confused with the latest information on cic.gc,ca official website. have they updated the eligible NOCs.? because when I applied under cultural activities only a few NOC were given now they have mentioned to many NOC like almost all.

This page is saying>>>> https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=291&top=6

Under the Self-Employed Persons Program, what does cultural activities mean?
Cultural activities include jobs generally seen as part of Canada’s artistic and cultural fields. Examples include:
  • authors and writers,
  • creative and performing artists,
  • musicians,
  • painters,
  • sculptors and other visual artists,
  • technical support and other jobs in motion pictures,
  • creative designers and
  • craftspeople.
Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC) provides a full list of qualifying activities for self-employed persons.

Thanks.
It has always been the NOCs that begin with 51/52 as far as I know.

Last edited: