+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Self-Employed Application 2018

typeaimages

Star Member
Apr 1, 2020
Can we please talk about the "world renown" situation. I've gotten different answers from different people. Some are insisting you must be "known internationally" for what you do (and HOW known!?) and some are insisting this is not true and that they were successful in this stream with only a few publications or a small business that was not known around the world.

So which is it? What do they consider "world-renown" and is it even truly a factor or no?

Nov 8, 2016
VISA ISSUED...
10-11-2018
LANDED..........
15-04-2019
IRCC says experience must be in one of the following areas – self-employment in cultural activities or athletics OR participating in cultural activities or athletics at the world-class level.

These are two classifications. The second classification is for people who are world-renowned or international athletes like Olympians for instance. The first classification is what most people will fall under. IRCC will decide where you fall under based on the content and information of your application. Hope this clears it up.

Reactions: typeaimages

typeaimages

Star Member
Apr 1, 2020
IRCC says experience must be in one of the following areas – self-employment in cultural activities or athletics OR participating in cultural activities or athletics at the world-class level.

These are two classifications. The second classification is for people who are world-renowned or international athletes like Olympians for instance. The first classification is what most people will fall under. IRCC will decide where you fall under based on the content and information of your application. Hope this clears it up.
Thank you SO much (BTW, I had messaged you on your awesome blog with the same question, you can ignore it!) Much love!

typeaimages

Star Member
Apr 1, 2020
One more question (well, who am I kidding, I'll have a billion more questions)
Can you do your own fingerprints if you have access to the official fingerprint form or do you have to get it done at the police dept. I do not have a usable USPS office near me.

comerunning19

Sep 12, 2019
Canada
One more question (well, who am I kidding, I'll have a billion more questions)
Can you do your own fingerprints if you have access to the official fingerprint form or do you have to get it done at the police dept. I do not have a usable USPS office near me.
Fingerprints, or biometrics so they call it, will be requested after your application forms are received, and those must be collected at a specific centre.
For police certs, every one in your family will be required to apply for one.
These information are accessible on the official website.

typeaimages

Star Member
Apr 1, 2020
Fingerprints, or biometrics so they call it, will be requested after your application forms are received, and those must be collected at a specific centre.
For police certs, every one in your family will be required to apply for one.
These information are accessible on the official website.
Thank you for the response. I guess my confusion comes with the biometrics being listed on the "checklist" of items that need to be sent in with the application (the checklist available online) and then being told it's submitted AFTER the application is.....Are you able to just submit everything together?

comerunning19

Sep 12, 2019
Canada
Thank you for the response. I guess my confusion comes with the biometrics being listed on the "checklist" of items that need to be sent in with the application (the checklist available online) and then being told it's submitted AFTER the application is.....Are you able to just submit everything together?
You may wish to go through the official “how to apply” session and the checklist again for biometrics..

If you can apply for police certs without a letter of request in your country, then you can send them together with your application. But in some countries it requires a letter from the Canada consulate to proceed.

nat4lp

Jun 16, 2019
Category........
BUSINESS
NOC Code......
I am preparing my documents to submit under NOC 5241 as a Graphic Designer and I run a design studio llc. Do we need police certificates as part of the initial application itself or can it be sent later when requested?

comerunning19

Sep 12, 2019
Canada
I am preparing my documents to submit under NOC 5241 as a Graphic Designer and I run a design studio llc. Do we need police certificates as part of the initial application itself or can it be sent later when requested?
it was JUST asked and answered..

If you can apply for police certs without a letter of request in your country, then you can send them together with your application. But in some countries it requires a letter from the Canada consulate to proceed.. if thats the case you submit first and wait for the letter..

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/medical-police/where.html

EdithF86

Star Member
Oct 31, 2016
Hey guys,

Only just looking into this type of visa and I had 2 questions that I couldn't quite find the answer to:

1) Can some or all of that self employed / world class experience be Canadian experience?

2) Is it okay if it is (at least) 2 years in total or does it have to be 2 x one year of continuous work?

Last edited:

sohailirfan

Jun 12, 2016
So freelancers outside of Cultural Activities are not eligible? I'm a top rated Web Developer on Upwork 2175 NOC not sure if it counts as cultural or world class?