+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Self-Employed Application 2018

Feb 25, 2016
@vs587

I have a quick question for you u had world class experience or u were self employed?

I want to know is it mandatory to have a world class experience or its ok to have self employed experience.
My wife is a dance artist and perform in various functions and get paid for it..

Can i apply for the self employed category visa for artist ?

Huda Sam

Mar 20, 2019
@vs587

I have a quick question for you u had world class experience or u were self employed?

I want to know is it mandatory to have a world class experience or its ok to have self employed experience.
My wife is a dance artist and perform in various functions and get paid for it..

Hello, This stream looks like very easy condition, but actually competition is very high, like for example if you are a musician, u know that hundreds can apply under the same category, so your chance will be less, So you should be world class to be accepted, but if you apply under subcategory your chance could be higher even though you are not a world class artist, as conclusion, you need to find the way to convince the officer that your work in Canada would make significant influence on culture.

typeaimages

Star Member
Apr 1, 2020
Does anyone have a link to number of how many people actually APPLY under this stream per year? I can't find this anywhere.

Runroad

Dec 14, 2018
I remembered reading about it somewhere but I couldn’t remember where exactly I found those info, so please don’t quote this from me!

It says that they accept about 500-600 applicants a year, and I remembered reading something about a 20% success rate. That means there are probably about 2500 applicants a year for this category.

Hopefully this helps but thinking back this 20% doesn’t mean anything once you have lodged your application. As long as you meet the requirements they’d probably give it to you.

Reactions: comerunning19

comerunning19

Sep 12, 2019
Canada
The below data, though can't answer @typeaimages's question above, might shed some light on the full picture.
I tried to post it here earlier but as I have also posted it on the 2019 & 2020 threads it got rejected here...

Table 3: Permanent Residents Admitted in 2018 by Destination and Immigration Category
Source: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/annual-report-parliament-immigration-2019.html#s11

Immigration Category: EconomicNLPENSNBQCONMBSKABBCYTNTNUNot StatedTotal
Federal economic – BusinessFootnote3622361503101484932550757
Footnote 36: Includes admissions in the Self-Employed Persons Program, Start-up Visa Program and Immigrant Investor Venture Capital Program.

Summary of adjustments to levels targets in 2020 and 2021
Source: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/news/notices/supplementary-immigration-levels-2020.html

Immigrant Category
EconomicTargetLow RangeHigh RangeTargetLow RangeHigh RangeTargetLow RangeHigh Range
Federal BusinessFootnote27505001,4007505001,5007505001,500
Footnote 2: Includes the Start-up Visa Program and the Self-employed Program.

Palamon

Star Member
Feb 12, 2019
Don't mean to spam, but I had posted this earlier and didn't get a response. Trying again -

I am waiting for my self-employed PR decision, I have 9 months left on my estimated timeline. My spouse is a part of my application, as my dependent.

1. If my spouse accepts an offer from a Canadian University to study a one-year graduate program, will this affect her (or my) chances of getting the PR that is in process?

2. Will this affect the chances of her getting a student visa? If I wish to travel with her as her dependent, could this affect my chances of getting my in-process self-employed PR?

3. While we are in Canada and she is studying, and in case my PR process is moving towards medicals etc, can we continue to appear for our medicals, provide documents from within Canada? Do we have to leave Canada to get COPR?

Thanks.

Feb 25, 2016
Application completed and dispatched via UPS today. The waiting game commences....
Hi buddy i want to know did you had world class experience?

My wife is a dance artist she performs dance in various functions and events and she is in contract with some of the event management companies but receives her payment in cash is it possible to get a positive result in the self employed category.....

Feb 25, 2016
Hello, This stream looks like very easy condition, but actually competition is very high, like for example if you are a musician, u know that hundreds can apply under the same category, so your chance will be less, So you should be world class to be accepted, but if you apply under subcategory your chance could be higher even though you are not a world class artist, as conclusion, you need to find the way to convince the officer that your work in Canada would make significant influence on culture.
What do you mean by sub category is it under self employed but not as a dancer ?

comerunning19

Sep 12, 2019
Canada

My wife is a dance artist she performs dance in various functions and events and she is in contract with some of the event management companies but receives her payment in cash is it possible to get a positive result in the self employed category.....
If she has a complete income record and proof of tax payment I think those can prove her self employed status...

ParuMani

Star Member
Feb 23, 2020

You must have few records to support your claim that she is a performing artist, she was paid for the performance. bank statements, Tax, etc. She must also prove how her talent as an artist will be useful in canada and how she plans to perform in canada

vs587

Aug 29, 2018
@vs587

I applied as a Self Employed. In order to be world class, applicant should be well-renowned internationally.
It is ok to have self-employed experience. You have to prove that she is an self-employed through tax, reference letters, invoice or contracts. You’ll also need to show some evidence like Photographs etc. If she is covered by any newspaper then well and good.