+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Self-Employed Application 2018

gmeet2010

Jul 7, 2010
Congratulations!
Glad you made it through the long journey.

However I would not recommend an immigration agency unless there is a complication in the application and history.

Save your money. (thousands of $) I hired one and then fired them( losing my initial payment) . I knew more than than the agency re the self employed application. Got my AOR to COPR in 3 months just applied myself...and this forum was the most helpful and informative.

------------------------------------------------------------
  • AOR: 16 Jan 2019 (Application Sent: 11 Oct 2018)
  • Biometrics: 1 Mar
  • Additional Information: 28 Feb - 15 Mar
  • Medical Request: 4 Mar
  • Medical Done: 13 Mar
  • PPR: 27 Mar
  • COPR: 17 Apr 2019
  • Landing: 7 Aug 2019
am also applying for Author/writer category.please guide me.i need your email.or contact no.please

Nov 8, 2016
VISA ISSUED...
10-11-2018
LANDED..........
15-04-2019
FINALLY..
My journey is almost over.. Received COPR on 15th March... Now the last step, landing, is what left.
This forum Self-Employed 2018 really helped me.
Here is the overview of final timeline

NOC 5131
Started immigration preparation in March 2018.
Sent File in June 2018
File Received: July 2018
AOR: August 2018
Interview Request: October 2019 (Delhi Visa Office)
Medical Request and Pre-Arrival: October 2019
Medical Passed: November 2019
Passport Request & COPR : March 2020

Summary: My journey was very much unpredictable. However, I did my best. Went through previous cases, studied and prepared file accordingly. For this particular category, Immigration agent was not much help except preparing and organising file.

Suggestion: For this kind of file, you should go for immigration lawyer. And applicant need to be prepared for interview. Be honest about everything. Don’t be dependent on agent.

I wish best for each and everyone in this forum..
Mabrouk but immigration lawyer is not needed if you can understand and fill forms. Everything you need to know with links is in this thread. An immigration lawyer is useful if English or French isn't your first language and you find the forms overwhelming because of it.

nivetha

Jul 26, 2018
Dear all,
I have my self employed exp from Mar 2016-nov 2018 as a makeup artist and I establish 7 branches in just 2.7 yrs, with more than 100+ employees in my firm. Unfortunately, due to family disturbances,I have sold all branches to the competitor, and not running business from nov 2018

relevant experience-It must be during the period starting 5 years before the day you apply and ending on the day we make a decision on your application.
am I still eligible in my case for self employed visa and with above statement ??
pls urgent advice needed from members.

Pls Pls advice sooner

comerunning19

Sep 12, 2019
Canada
Dear all,
I have my self employed exp from Mar 2016-nov 2018 as a makeup artist and I establish 7 branches in just 2.7 yrs, with more than 100+ employees in my firm. Unfortunately, due to family disturbances,I have sold all branches to the competitor, and not running business from nov 2018

relevant experience-It must be during the period starting 5 years before the day you apply and ending on the day we make a decision on your application.
am I still eligible in my case for self employed visa and with above statement ??
pls urgent advice needed from members.

Pls Pls advice sooner
My understanding on this matter is:
Say if you're applying on April 1 2020, then your 2+ years of experience should be between April 1 2015 and ... something around Jan 1 2022.
So I think by definition you are eligible to apply through SE stream.

Last edited:

nivetha

Jul 26, 2018
Thanks for your reply.

I understood the first sentence
What exactly does it mean for
" and the day we make a decision on your application".

Lets say in a case that CIC decision is finilising today, will they check 2yr exp for the past 5 years from today?

comerunning19

Sep 12, 2019
Canada
Thanks for your reply.

I understood the first sentence
What exactly does it mean for
" and the day we make a decision on your application".

Lets say in a case that CIC decision is finilising today, will they check 2yr exp for the past 5 years from today?
Let's break the sentence down:

"the 2 years of relevant experience... must be during the period
A) starting 5 years before the day you apply; and
B) ending on the day we make a decision on your application. "

Given the current estimated processing time being 21 months,
Say you have applied 21 months ago (July 2018)
As long as your 2 yrs of experience was between July 2013 and today in April 2020, you are eligible for applying through SE stream.

Reactions: corporatewokerlady

nivetha

Jul 26, 2018
Thank you for your detailed explanation.
I understood.

Once visa approved,are we still need to be self-employed in Canada?
Or we can commence work ?

Palamon

Star Member
Feb 12, 2019
I am waiting for my self-employed PR decision, I have 9 months left on my estimated timeline. My spouse is a part of my application, as my dependent.

1. If my spouse accepts an offer from a Canadian University to study a one-year graduate program, will this affect her (or my) chances of getting the PR that is in process?

2. Will this affect the chances of her getting a student visa? If I wish to travel with her as her dependent, could this affect my chances of getting my in-process self-employed PR?

3. While we are in Canada and she is studying, and in case my PR process is moving towards medicals etc, can we continue to appear for our medicals, provide documents from within Canada? Do we have to leave Canada to get COPR?

Thanks.

theguv

Dec 8, 2016
London UK
Category........
NOC Code......
I understood.

the whole point of the SE stream is to attract people who are going to be self employed in Canada. If you want to get out there and just get a job there are over 50 other easier routes...

BaNana82

Star Member
Jun 29, 2017
Nairobi
Category........
Visa Office......
Nairobi
App. Filed.......
14-10-2016
AOR Received.
23-03-2017
IELTS Request
Sent with application
Med's Request
06-06-2017
Med's Done....
24-06-2017
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
01-11-2017
I understood.

Once you are approved it is not required that you be self-employed when you land. But you need to show the intention to be self employed when you're applying

Reactions: Amos TT and Amos033

sohailirfan

Jun 12, 2016
Does Tech NOCs fall into this category as they dont start with NOC 5xxx but 21xx for example 2175 Web Developer? I am self employed for past 5 years, and top rated on many freelancing sites making decent $$$ but only cause of TECH NOC im still not applying as its not under Cultural or Athletes NOC

JaunRaza

Star Member
Mar 27, 2017
UAE
Category........
FSW
App. Filed.......
12-08-2019
AOR Received.
12-08-1988
Congratulations!
Glad you made it through the long journey.

However I would not recommend an immigration agency unless there is a complication in the application and history.

Save your money. (thousands of $) I hired one and then fired them( losing my initial payment) . I knew more than than the agency re the self employed application. Got my AOR to COPR in 3 months just applied myself...and this forum was the most helpful and informative.

------------------------------------------------------------
  • AOR: 16 Jan 2019 (Application Sent: 11 Oct 2018)
  • Biometrics: 1 Mar
  • Additional Information: 28 Feb - 15 Mar
  • Medical Request: 4 Mar
  • Medical Done: 13 Mar
  • PPR: 27 Mar
  • COPR: 17 Apr 2019
  • Landing: 7 Aug 2019
Can i DM you ?

Feb 25, 2016
I want to know one thing is it necessary to have a world class experience or its ok to have self employed experience.
My wife is a dance artist and perform in various functions and get paid for it..

Can i apply for the self employed category visa for artist ?