Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 4th 2016
IELTS Request
Band - 7
LANDED..........
Hopefully 2017
Yes i do issues an invoice, the money has been receiving in cash. However for the last 10 months, i have been receiving cash in my personal bank account as well.
If you have record of your transactions then you are good to go.. as a Self Employed crafts person

theguv

Dec 8, 2016
London UK
Category........
NOC Code......
Dear Members,
Seems like this group is very useful in helping those who are planning to apply under Self-Employed Category.

I have the following background:
1. I have done Masters in Fine Arts from a university in the year 2010. My complete education is of 16 years.
2. I intend to apply under NOC 5136 "Painters, Sculptors, and Visual Artists".
3. After completing my Masters in 2010 i am earning through selling my paintings and art works.
4. I am a freelancers means my business is not registered anywhere.
5. I have not declared my business income in any of my Income Tax Returns till 2018.
6. My husband has a sibling who is a Canadian citizen.

Now given the background as above i have a few question, would be encouraged if someone answer to those.
1. Do i qualify under the Self-Employed Visa Category?
2. Do i need to get my credentials equivalency from WES?
3. How can i prove my freelancer work experience of past 5 years?
4. What additional should i do to enhance my profile and get better chances of success?

Thanks and Best Regards:

Amna
1 section points 4 & 5: I'm pretty sure that your business should be registered SOMEWHERE if you're earning a living at it and making enough money for it to be considered some for of income. Point 5, I'm pretty sure failing to declare income FROM ANY SOURCE on a tax return is fraud and thus illegal in pretty much every country and territory on earth so you might want to be a bit wary about that (at least admitting it on a public forum!)...

I can't help thinking that people are not considering the scale of the requirements to get in as a freelance/self employed person. Yes the requirements say minimum of 2 years experience in fields x, y and z (and we can all claim that), the major issue for me is have you (or I) been doing this at a level that is recognised at a level outside of our immediate environment and better yet, internationally.

Canada is a big old country and it has plenty of people WHO ALREADY WORK FREELANCE IN THESE AREAS. Our job is to demonstrate that the work we have done while freelance is of a sufficient importance, scale and recognition that letting us in to Canada will "enrich and enhance the cultural life of Canada".

if you're a photographer and you shoot wedding and pets you probably don't stand a chance against a photographer who shoots war zones for international media outlets for example.

We as applicants have to assume that we're going up against some very, VERY well known (albeit in a small field) opposition and weigh up whether the work we do is a career with international scope or just a reasonably well paid hobby...

Best of luck but it's a very expensive undertaking to move forward on without having done some very serious self reflective evaluation of your work and it's place in the global market place.

Nov 8, 2016
VISA ISSUED...
10-11-2018
LANDED..........
15-04-2019
Dear Members,
Seems like this group is very useful in helping those who are planning to apply under Self-Employed Category.

I have the following background:
1. I have done Masters in Fine Arts from a university in the year 2010. My complete education is of 16 years.
2. I intend to apply under NOC 5136 "Painters, Sculptors, and Visual Artists".
3. After completing my Masters in 2010 i am earning through selling my paintings and art works.
4. I am a freelancers means my business is not registered anywhere.
5. I have not declared my business income in any of my Income Tax Returns till 2018.
6. My husband has a sibling who is a Canadian citizen.

Now given the background as above i have a few question, would be encouraged if someone answer to those.
1. Do i qualify under the Self-Employed Visa Category?
2. Do i need to get my credentials equivalency from WES?
3. How can i prove my freelancer work experience of past 5 years?
4. What additional should i do to enhance my profile and get better chances of success?

Thanks and Best Regards:

Amna
If you are a freelancer earning income, surely there's an account dedicated to your business, invoices, receipts provided and/or registration of your business name somewhere, right? If you're just selling paintings and artwork without any paper trail or payments of tax (if you live in a tax jurisdiction) or any sort of professional documentation, then I don't think your application will be successful or that you even qualify for the SE program because you don't sound self-employed based on the information you provided.

If you're not registered anywhere, haven't paid tax and have no paper trail, how are you supposed to prove you've been a freelancer for 5 years? Letters from people who bought your artwork won't cut it either.

You need to start documenting your business transactions, keeping records, paying tax and doing business the proper way, then in 2 years, you may be able to apply. Being a freelancer doesn't mean you can't have a registered business.

You can still apply now if you wish but you will likely be wasting your money. HTH.

sohailirfan

Jun 12, 2016
Hi,
Im from Pakistan with 5+ years of Upwork (Top Rated) and Direct International US EU CA AU Clients. I design and develop their websites and they can help me with providing all the necessary letters (as I have a lot of clients and made a decent money these years). I can prove all the work experience with banking transactions from all these businesses. I have a decent IELTS as well as I'm an Electrical Engineer. Ideally my best suitable NOC is 2175 but for SE I have some duties under 5241. So I will go with 5241, my questions are:

1) Am I eligible for this stream?
2) What does it mean by World Class...? I don't have any worldwide official recognition but yes worldwide clients and plenty of reviews + $$$.
3) Would I still be able to apply in parallel for EE (trying to improve ielts to get into OINP EE directly) with noc 2175? as some part of it is in 5241 for SE.

Answer would be appreciated. Thanks
can someone answer above?

theguv

Dec 8, 2016
London UK
Category........
NOC Code......
can someone answer above?
1) superficially yes. if you've been freelance for 2+ years and can prove it with paperwork and references etc then yes.
2) if you're an athlete or artist then you need to be operating at scale that your work and name are known around the world as one of the best in your field. For supporting roles in the Arts and Athletics then the 2 year minimum is the main requirement but the longer and more high profile your freelance work the better your chances. NOC 5241 is on the list of work types for the SE program but in all honesty I'd go down the EE route, the benchmark of "World Class" or high profile isn't there and if you've got high enough IELTS and CRS score then the SE route is a waste of time and cash.
3) Yes, you can still apply under EE while doing this. :)

sohailirfan

Jun 12, 2016
1) superficially yes. if you've been freelance for 2+ years and can prove it with paperwork and references etc then yes.
2) if you're an athlete or artist then you need to be operating at scale that your work and name are known around the world as one of the best in your field. For supporting roles in the Arts and Athletics then the 2 year minimum is the main requirement but the longer and more high profile your freelance work the better your chances. NOC 5241 is on the list of work types for the SE program but in all honesty I'd go down the EE route, the benchmark of "World Class" or high profile isn't there and if you've got high enough IELTS and CRS score then the SE route is a waste of time and cash.
3) Yes, you can still apply under EE while doing this. :)
Thanks for your reply. Some more ongoing q's
1) For EE I make up to 439 with non accompanying spouse. Can I apply as Noc 2715 as it is more tailored to my duties instead of 5241 under SE?
2) EE and SE can have different NOCs in parallel?

SMani

Aug 17, 2014
Chennai
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 4th 2016
IELTS Request
Band - 7
LANDED..........
Hopefully 2017
[QUOTE="Yes the requirements say minimum of 2 years experience in fields x, y and z (and we can all claim that), the major issue for me is have you (or I) been doing this at a level that is recognised at a level outside of our immediate environment and better yet, internationally.

Canada is a big old country and it has plenty of people WHO ALREADY WORK FREELANCE IN THESE AREAS. Our job is to demonstrate that the work we have done while freelance is of a sufficient importance, scale and recognition that letting us in to Canada will "enrich and enhance the cultural life of Canada".[/QUOTE]

Some of the artists are unique for their talents .. "Big fish in a small pond".. They may have certain qualities which current new set of immigrants and few old immigrants of Canada will feel is very necessary for their identity and cultural traditions..

So if you feel that you are unique with your talents then you can try to migrate to canada as a self employed.

SMani

Aug 17, 2014
Chennai
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 4th 2016
IELTS Request
Band - 7
LANDED..........
Hopefully 2017
Wow.. This is amazing information for all of us

Do I Qualify for the Federal Self-Employed Program if I Have a Full-Time Job?

If you have a full-time job but have been working for yourself on the side as well for at least 2 years out of the 5 years preceding your application, yes you qualify. Working full time doesn’t automatically exclude you from this category.

However, you should have documentation that proves you have been working on the side under cultural activities or athletics for these two years in order to qualify.
For instance, if you work as a customer service executive during the day but you are also a photographer during the evenings and on weekends, and make income from your photography and intend to continue doing this in Canada, then yes you qualify.
How you represent all of this clearly on your application is what will help the officer who gets your file to make an informed decision about your case.

Yiyang

Nov 9, 2019
Hi Yiyang,

Did you submit yours via a lawyer/ consultant or by yourself?
I submitted via a Canada immigration registered consultant. I hope someone who is an experienced professionalist can help me to double-check my documents and make sure all format was correct.

Tr1992

Dec 11, 2019
38 days to the end of the timeline and still no news...
No update no medical req and anything else...
Does anybody's case look like mine?

Jenny19

May 23, 2019
I’ve just applied Nov2019 and got file number after 26 days with requirement for biometrics. I will do the biometrics next week. Hope the process will be quick.

Silvyism

Nov 13, 2019
How about secondary/ post-secondary studies?

"Points are awarded for earned educational credentials as well as the number of years of full-time studies or full-time equivalent studies. To be awarded points, you must meet both stated criteria."
Hello,
Im a bit confused so seeking help. To my understanding, an ECA from WES or any other authorised organization isn't required while applying for SWLF

Silvyism

Nov 13, 2019
How about secondary/ post-secondary studies?

"Points are awarded for earned educational credentials as well as the number of years of full-time studies or full-time equivalent studies. To be awarded points, you must meet both stated criteria."
Hello,
Im a bit confused so seeking help. To my understanding, an ECA from WES or any other authorised organization isn't required while applying for Self Employed stream. Am I correct or do I need to have the ECA done? Kindly reply.
Regards