+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Self-Employed Application 2018

Palamon

Star Member
Feb 12, 2019
A bit of research on the forum leads to the conclusion that there's no one rule fits all sort of thing. Some people have had to wait for weeks for their PPR after their status changed to 'Decision Made'. For some, the PPR came that very day.

Reactions: dsgn and MinhAnh

Joseph12$

Jul 10, 2020
So a second development after the above. My application status changed from 'In Process' to 'Decision Made'. This is on the portal which is updated daily, not on the one where you log in with your GC Key. Can anyone tell me how long does it take to receive PPR after the status has changed to 'Decision Made'? We have cleared our medicals.
Oh wonderful!! Hopefully, it will move faster now. I think they’ll forgotten all about us though.

Reactions: Palamon

pathak2016

May 29, 2016
Can anybody tell me how long it takes to receive a application no? I applied on November 2021 but till date I have received nothing. Is it normal?

Palamon

Star Member
Feb 12, 2019
Finally got the COPR! Here's my timeline -

Application received at NS: April 23, 2019

AOR and Request for Biometrics: May 23, 2019

Biometrics Done: May 29, 2019

Telephone Interview with New Delhi VO: Nov 20, 2020

Medical Request: Nov 20, 2020 (a few minutes later)

Invitation to Pre-Arrival Services: Nov 21, 2020

Medicals Passed: Dec 7, 2020

------ PANDEMIC ------

Re-medicals Request: Jan 29, 2022

Re-medicals Passed: Feb 7, 2022

Passport Request (PPR): Apr 3, 2022

Confirmation of Permanent Residence: Apr 22, 2022

A journey of almost 3 years, not counting the prep-time and research (which took another 6 months). Will be landing in Toronto on the 18th of May. This forum has given me a lot of two things - information and hope. Thank you, and I wish you all the best of luck in your immigration journey.

Serhat

Mar 28, 2022
Hello every one! Do you think that to act as a composer in a festival film that has been invited to an international film festival can meet the condition of having participated in a world-class cultural event?

A film that I compose original score for this has been invited to Karlovy Film Festival. This was my first experience about film music.

And also I am an arranger and we are working on 3 songs now. And that songs will be published in another country. so it is a global work.

But I am not sure that they can work for self employed immigration both. I am also a self employed musician for 15 years in Turkey. But I can not declare this or I don't know how..

Composers and arrangers are in the same NOC for express entry. But the musicians are not.. I can not use all of these experiences. So what do you think?

I graduated from State Conservatory in Istanbul and also I am a music teacher but I have no experience about this.

My brother is living Canada and he has PR.

What do you suggest for me about this profile..?

dsgn

Star Member
Oct 30, 2020
Finally got the COPR! Here's my timeline -

Application received at NS: April 23, 2019

AOR and Request for Biometrics: May 23, 2019

Biometrics Done: May 29, 2019

Telephone Interview with New Delhi VO: Nov 20, 2020

Medical Request: Nov 20, 2020 (a few minutes later)

Invitation to Pre-Arrival Services: Nov 21, 2020

Medicals Passed: Dec 7, 2020

------ PANDEMIC ------

Re-medicals Request: Jan 29, 2022

Re-medicals Passed: Feb 7, 2022

Passport Request (PPR): Apr 3, 2022

Confirmation of Permanent Residence: Apr 22, 2022

A journey of almost 3 years, not counting the prep-time and research (which took another 6 months). Will be landing in Toronto on the 18th of May. This forum has given me a lot of two things - information and hope. Thank you, and I wish you all the best of luck in your immigration journey.
Congratulations.

Reactions: Palamon

Palamon

Star Member
Feb 12, 2019
Hello every one! Do you think that to act as a composer in a festival film that has been invited to an international film festival can meet the condition of having participated in a world-class cultural event?

A film that I compose original score for this has been invited to Karlovy Film Festival. This was my first experience about film music.

And also I am an arranger and we are working on 3 songs now. And that songs will be published in another country. so it is a global work.

But I am not sure that they can work for self employed immigration both. I am also a self employed musician for 15 years in Turkey. But I can not declare this or I don't know how..

Composers and arrangers are in the same NOC for express entry. But the musicians are not.. I can not use all of these experiences. So what do you think?

I graduated from State Conservatory in Istanbul and also I am a music teacher but I have no experience about this.

My brother is living Canada and he has PR.

What do you suggest for me about this profile..?
To me, your experience seems international, but I am not the visa officer. You have to understand that there's a lot of discretion involved in this self-employed category. I have even seen candidates who are NOT internationally renowned get PR. One of the sentences IRCC used to have in describing the requirements of this category (not sure of this sentence is still there though) that the requirement of international reputation and renown is primarily to discourage frivolous applications. Like I said before, this category is not exactly black & white, there's a lot of subjectivity involved. If your sibling lives in Canada and has PR, I would recommend you try out the free CRS score calculator to see what points you are getting (your age will play a big factor) and how those points compare with recent Express Entry cut-offs. After that, take a call which pathway you want to walk down. The self-employed one is a long and difficult journey. I am not discouraging you, but if my age would have favoured me like my education and everything else did in my CRS score, I would have chosen Express Entry. Hope this helps.

Serhat

Mar 28, 2022
To me, your experience seems international, but I am not the visa officer. You have to understand that there's a lot of discretion involved in this self-employed category. I have even seen candidates who are NOT internationally renowned get PR. One of the sentences IRCC used to have in describing the requirements of this category (not sure of this sentence is still there though) that the requirement of international reputation and renown is primarily to discourage frivolous applications. Like I said before, this category is not exactly black & white, there's a lot of subjectivity involved. If your sibling lives in Canada and has PR, I would recommend you try out the free CRS score calculator to see what points you are getting (your age will play a big factor) and how those points compare with recent Express Entry cut-offs. After that, take a call which pathway you want to walk down. The self-employed one is a long and difficult journey. I am not discouraging you, but if my age would have favoured me like my education and everything else did in my CRS score, I would have chosen Express Entry. Hope this helps.
Thank you very much. but I have been working as a composer and arranger just for 1 or 2 years. and also working as a musician for 15 years. I saw CRS score calculator and tried it. even assuming I have a job offer, my score is 433. I think this is not enough for express entry.
I don't know how can I declare that I have been working as a self employed musician for 15 years. if can, it is a good advantage because of 15 years.

on the other hand, I am planning to participate to an international film music competition on this summer.( if I can win this competition, maybe canada government can invite itself haha:)) but I am not sure that I can)
And also planning to publish a musical album in genre of world music (like ethnic jazz). I know that I need a few time for all this. maybe 1-2 years.
if I can continue to do some jobs like this, will my chances increase for self employed ? but you said you have even seen candidates who are NOT internationally renowned get PR.
Maybe I have to have some connections in canada to do the same job there and I have to declare this case..

Palamon

Star Member
Feb 12, 2019
Thank you very much. but I have been working as a composer and arranger just for 1 or 2 years. and also working as a musician for 15 years. I saw CRS score calculator and tried it. even assuming I have a job offer, my score is 433. I think this is not enough for express entry.
I don't know how can I declare that I have been working as a self employed musician for 15 years. if can, it is a good advantage because of 15 years.

on the other hand, I am planning to participate to an international film music competition on this summer.( if I can win this competition, maybe canada government can invite itself haha:)) but I am not sure that I can)
And also planning to publish a musical album in genre of world music (like ethnic jazz). I know that I need a few time for all this. maybe 1-2 years.
if I can continue to do some jobs like this, will my chances increase for self employed ? but you said you have even seen candidates who are NOT internationally renowned get PR.
Maybe I have to have some connections in canada to do the same job there and I have to declare this case..
You don't need to win that competition, you just need to participate. That would be good enough. Do keep an eye on the processing timeline for this category, and make your plans accordingly. Connections in Canada won't help. What would really help is if you can participate in some more international events, and if you can show proof that your music is being consumed worldwide. Rather than planning on how you can build a portfolio in the future for the purpose of immigration, I would recommend you find ways of proving your 15 years of past experience.

Reactions: Serhat and Amyyy

Serhat

Mar 28, 2022
You don't need to win that competition, you just need to participate. That would be good enough. Do keep an eye on the processing timeline for this category, and make your plans accordingly. Connections in Canada won't help. What would really help is if you can participate in some more international events, and if you can show proof that your music is being consumed worldwide. Rather than planning on how you can build a portfolio in the future for the purpose of immigration, I would recommend you find ways of proving your 15 years of past experience.
So how can I prove my 15 years of experience?
Would it work to have this confirmed by letter from every musician I work with?

Palamon

Star Member
Feb 12, 2019
So how can I prove my 15 years of experience?
Would it work to have this confirmed by letter from every musician I work with?
I'm afraid I'm not quite sure about that, sorry, primarily because I am not familiar with your industry. In my case, I just included details about all the books I had written up until then in my application package, and showed how they were available for sale and in libraries worldwide.

Reactions: Serhat

dsgn

Star Member
Oct 30, 2020
I think the most important thing here is to show that you are truly self employed and have genuine intention to be same in canada. Having international spread is an advantage if you can prove it. But not a must requirement.

Reactions: Palamon and Serhat