+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Security Checks with the CBSA

natassica

Dec 2, 2011
Does anyone know if there is a maximum amount of time that it can take to process a security check with the CBSA, for an individual that has submitted a spousal sponsorship application.
They say 12-18 months, however we are at twenty now and they said we have no news, checks are still underway and we will inform you when there is anything new.
I have two small kids, the older has not seen his father almost an entire year and the younger has never met his dad!

Is there a way to find out how much longer you have to wait or what is going on with the CBSA?

The hardest part is just not knowing and not being able to plan anything!

And is there a way to contact CBSA and find out the status of your application? If you are familiar with procedure please let me know how to go about doing this.
Thanks for all your help!

Fencesitter

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 13, 2012
AOR Received.
AOR2 July 25, 2012
File Transfer...
July 13, 2012
Med's Done....
Mar 1, 2012
Interview........
WAIVED!
Passport Req..
Aug 28, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
Sept 24, 2012
LANDED..........
Jan 30, 2013
Is this an inland or outland application?

FS

GOGOGO

Jan 12, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo->New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-09-2011
Doc's Request.
23-02-2012
AOR Received.
04-01-2012 (Email from Buffalo)
File Transfer...
02-02-2012 (Buffalo->New York: notified by email from Buffalo)
Med's Done....
18-01-2012
Passport Req..
11-04-2012; 23Apr: PP copy delivered at NY
VISA ISSUED...
01-05-2012 (as per COPR); 4May: Decision Made on eCAS; 8May: COPR rcvd (Canada address)
LANDED..........
10-05-2012; 12May: Status in eCAS disappeared; 13Jul: PR Card rcv'd
You may consider contacting MP for help.

natassica

Dec 2, 2011
I applied from within Canada.
My husband has never been here, nor will they let him till this is over.
I called the MP, the Minister of Immigration (they told me they don't deal with immigration, but politics)!!!

They only thing left it seems is the newspaper :)

muffy1

Feb 21, 2012
Natassica-
One of our other forum members posted that she contacted Minister Kenney's office and they were very helpful and responsive to her. I'm sorry I only skimmed over your post but have you tried calling your local MPP? I would think that they would be able to help you. A friend of mine who works for a local MP's office stated that (even if an application is within normal processing times) the MP is able to at the very least check into the status of an app. I would think, given your case, someone should be able to assist you. I hope you are able to find help somewhere...I'll say a little prayer tonight :)

NBaker

Oct 23, 2011
The checks completed are not only done by CBSA - very little in fact, but other departments. It is very much dependent upon the country how long the checks will take.

Have you requested exactly when the request to start this step was made? You might want to request copies of the notes and so on and check into whether the request got lost for the security checks or there was a computer glitch that the request did not get to the department, but the time line is really not that far off for 2 extra months.

The timelines are always an estimate of the average processing so there will be many cases that take much longer than the posted times.

angelbrat

Oct 31, 2009
I think you will find that it is not really Canada's fault. Depending which Country involved, getting information from that Country can be a nightmare, especially if there is any military connection.

I know someone, that has been in the Pakistan military and applying for PR to Canada. Right now, they have been waiting nearly 3 years for a back ground check to be finalised and it is the Pakistan government departments that are at fault.

Canada has no way of forcing other countries to speed up this process, the best bet is to get your husband to investigate in his Country.

Sorry you are having to go through this but no matter how slow or inefficient Canada seems, there are 100's of Countries that are far worse.