+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Security checks/ DM delay based on nationality?

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
In the age of terrorism, if you're from certain countries in the Mideast, North Africa and other hotbed countries (and your name is common), it's not farfetched to assume that your application will get additional security vetting. CSIS collaborates will all the western and international security agencies to find the truth on who will get a Canadian passport. No administration/government/agency wants to be the one who signs off on a citizenship grant and later found that this person is part of a terrorist network. This is common sense. While I'm not from any of those countries, I can empathize with those applicants and understand their paranoia. The 99.9% suffers because of the action of a few.
Totally and I can imagine it sucks. As mentioned before I also think that being from particular countries slows down the security screening. What I don't think is happening is that on the IRCC level people are like "Oh, this guy is from country X, let's put it in the don't-look-at-this-for-a-month-just-because-they-are-from-that-country-pile." I felt that people were insinuating this.

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
Just to clarify one more time, so I am not misunderstood: I have no doubt that when it comes to citizenship processing times, privilege comes into play - just like in so many other areas of life. That is of course not a good thing.

Joshua1

Nov 18, 2013
I also want to clarify that CSIS does not necessarily have a straight line to some countries' security apparatus, so they use allies and proxies to get information (as spyfy implied). This also explains the delays for such applicants.

Last edited:

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
I am not sure myself. I think it all comes down to what CSIS does. I mean IRCC is asking CSIS "Is applicant X clean?" and then CSIS does what CSIS does to come to a yes or no answer. Naturally, CSIS doesn't share the details of what they do.
Right, CSIS is a black box, which allows IRCC to try to pass off delays as not their fault, but another agency's when the CSIS check takes forever. I wonder if IRCC even knows what CSIS does?