+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Security checks/ DM delay based on nationality?

stshayesteh

Star Member
Oct 23, 2017
I was wondering if country of origin correlates with DM delays due to longer security clearance. If you're DM is taking longer than usual can you share your timeline and country of origin? My parents are from Iran, and did their test on April 4th in Vancouver. I wonder when we can expect to move to DM.
Do people from middle east get next day DM as well?

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
I was wondering if country of origin correlates with DM delays due to longer security clearance. If you're DM is taking longer than usual can you share your timeline and country of origin? My parents are from Iran, and did their test on April 4th in Vancouver. I wonder when we can expect to move to DM.
No, there is no such correlation. It would in fact be illegal for IRCC to discriminate based on nationality or country of origin. There is at most some coincidental correlation. For example, some countries make it harder to get entry/exit records. So if you happen to come from country X which makes getting these records hard and IRCC asks you for those records in form of a QA process, you might take longer than an applicant from country Y, where getting those records is faster.

And, as usual, it is important not to obsess about single days. Check your ECAS once every two weeks. Everything else will just make you go insane. As helpful as all these spreadsheets are, they are unfortunately also perfect to set you up for panic mode.

Reactions: speedtex

sns204

Champion Member
Dec 12, 2012
No, there is no such correlation. It would in fact be illegal for IRCC to discriminate based on nationality or country of origin. There is at most some coincidental correlation. For example, some countries make it harder to get entry/exit records. So if you happen to come from country X which makes getting these records hard and IRCC asks you for those records in form of a QA process, you might take longer than an applicant from country Y, where getting those records is faster.

And, as usual, it is important not to obsess about single days. Check your ECAS once every two weeks. Everything else will just make you go insane. As helpful as all these spreadsheets are, they are unfortunately also perfect to set you up for panic mode.
While I've voiced similar sentiments regarding claims of bias because of country origin by some posters, I do wonder if there are some countries in which there are more delays because of prolonged delays when doing background checks. It would be good to know so that people would understand there may be a plausible reason that a delay exists from a common country that isn't tied to discrimination.

Reactions: stshayesteh

Danielnases

Star Member
Apr 18, 2018
I did my interview and test on Jan 25th and still waiting for DM. I am also from Iran. but I know other Iranians that applied after me and they are already invited for oath.

desolate

Star Member
Jul 14, 2011
Mississauga
Category........
Visa Office......
Case Processing Centre: Mississauga, Ontario
App. Filed.......
12th April 2018
AOR Received.
29th May 2018
File Transfer...
In process since July 12 2018, File transferred to Scarborough, Ontario on May 24th 2019
Interview........
September 4th 2019 Citizenship Test/Interview
LANDED..........
21-08-2011
the more u look into finding reasons what is causing the delay will make u crazy its better to just wait it out....

stshayesteh

Star Member
Oct 23, 2017

I would not consider that discrimination on IRCC's part. There could be different protocols for background clearance based on country of origin. As you mentioned getting or confirming information from some countries might take much longer than others. I think the spreadsheet is great to get a better understanding of the timeline in average and if there is a higher chance of delay due to country of origin it would be nice to know.

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
I would not consider that discrimination on IRCC's part. There could be different protocols for background clearance based on country of origin. As you mentioned getting or confirming information from some countries might take much longer than others. I think the spreadsheet is great to get a better understanding of the timeline in average and if there is a higher chance of delay due to country of origin it would be nice to know.
You would have a way too small sample size for the data to be meaningful. Apart from countries with a large number of recent naturalizations (according to the most recent IRCC statistics that's the Phillippines, India and China) you would probably have like two people from the same country in the spreadsheet for each month. That is not enough to infer anything. What I mean is: You would then see that the other two people from Country X took 4 months and 10 months respectively. What do you read from that? Exactly: Nothing.

So even if there were some correlation, the spreadsheet sample size is way too small to give meaningful info about it.

Reactions: sns204

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
Another example is: I would have to run the data in detail, but there doesn't seem to be any correlation between physical presence days and processing time. Still the spreadsheet collects physical presence days which is completely useless since it doesn't tell you anything about the processing time anyways. They might as well have a column "eye colour".

stshayesteh

Star Member
Oct 23, 2017
You would have a way too small sample size for the data to be meaningful. Apart from countries with a large number of recent naturalizations (according to the most recent IRCC statistics that's the Phillippines, India and China) you would probably have like two people from the same country in the spreadsheet for each month. That is not enough to infer anything. What I mean is: You would then see that the other two people from Country X took 4 months and 10 months respectively. What do you read from that? Exactly: Nothing.

So even if there were some correlation, the spreadsheet sample size is way too small to give meaningful info about it.
The background check is probably regardless of location and month, so sample size is actually not as small as it might look. It might sound strange to you that clearance for people might depend on their nationality, but I know for a fact that Iranian's background check for visa and green card can take much longer in the US, so I will not be surprised if it is the case in Canada as well. I saw a few comments here and there about it, and thought it would be nice to get data in one thread. I wasn't suggesting to add country of origin to the spreadsheet, though I think it could add meaningful insight. I do agree that presence days is probably unrelated and can be safely dropped from the spreadsheet.

Last edited:

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
The background check is probably regardless of location and month, so sample size is actually not as small as it might look. It might sound strange to you that clearance for people might depend on their nationality, but I know for a fact that Iranian's background check for visa and green card can take much longer in the US, so I will not be surprised if it is the case in Canada as well. I saw a few comments here and there about it, and thought it would be nice to get data in one thread. I wasn't suggesting to add country of origin to your spreadsheet, though I think it could add meaningful insight. I do agree that presence days is probably unrelated and can be safely dropped from the spreadsheet.
Just to clarify, it's not "my" spreadsheet :) I'm not one of the spreadsheet organizers.

Maybe let me clarify a bit: I mean that the source country effect is rather negligible compared to other factors. But I still get where you are coming from.

A bit of topic, but Canada generally speaking seems to be less discriminatory towards certain nationals than the US. I'm not claiming that Canada is anywhere close to being discrimination-free, but it's better than in the US. At least that's what my visible minority friends report about their border experience in Canada versus the US. Again, I'm not saying Canada is good, they are just less worse.

gino007

Star Member
Oct 19, 2017
Sorry to add this as I believe when it comes to citizenship apps the best rememdy is to just wait. And, there is no direct relation between security clearances for PR and citizenship cases. But yet, according to this article, it seems PR applicants from Iran are receiving some sort of much logner processing times than the average. The samples size is 4,000 (1000 PR and 3,000 undeclared type of cases).

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/politics/article-iranians-accuse-ottawa-of-discrimination-as-permanent-residency/