+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Security checks/ DM delay based on nationality?

khanlov

May 25, 2011
I was wondering if country of origin correlates with DM delays due to longer security clearance. If you're DM is taking longer than usual can you share your timeline and country of origin? My parents are from Iran, and did their test on April 4th in Vancouver. I wonder when we can expect to move to DM.
Do people from middle east get next day DM as well?
Most ppl don't agree with this but i think it correlates. I am a perfect example. Am from one of your neighboring country, did my test in mid november and still no DM.
I also agree that it would be discrimination on part of IRCC if they do that but it doesn't have to be official. They have a lot of tools in their sleeve to make it happen while within the parameters.

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
Most ppl don't agree with this but i think it correlates. I am a perfect example. Am from one of your neighboring country, did my test in mid november and still no DM.
I also agree that it would be discrimination on part of IRCC if they do that but it doesn't have to be official. They have a lot of tools in their sleeve to make it happen while within the parameters.
Again, you might as well state "my eye colour is X and I haven't received DM yet so I am a perfect example that eye colour and processing time correllates."

A single data point can't suggest correlation.

Also why would they intentionally slow down your application using some tricks in their sleeves. What do they get from that?

There could be many other reasons why your app is delayed. For example your name might be similar to the name in one of the security databases and that slows down the security check. This is a common problem for people having very common names like James Smith, Mohammad Nassar or Chi Chen.

There could be thousands of reasons why your app is delayed.

Last edited:
Reactions: ChippyBoy

jamie hito

Star Member
Jun 16, 2017
Vancouver
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Japan

lonleyplanet1995

Jan 13, 2018
Again, you might as well state "my eye colour is X and I haven't received DM yet so I am a perfect example that eye colour and processing time correllates."

A single data point can't suggest correlation.

Also why would they intentionally slow down your application using some tricks in their sleeves. What do they get from that?

There could be many other reasons why your app is delayed. For example your name might be similar to the name in one of the security databases and that slows down the security check. This is a common problem for people having very common names like James Smith, Mohammad Nassar or Chi Chen.

There could be thousands of reasons why your app is delayed.
Man I have the weirdest name on earth and I don't think anyone else have Similar name as me and my application is delayed !

Reactions: Johnboy

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
Man I have the weirdest name on earth and I don't think anyone else have Similar name as me and my application is delayed !
There is thousands of reasons why your app could be delayed, I gave an example above.

Reactions: ChippyBoy

arise

Star Member
Feb 18, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CHC, Islamabad
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-11-2011
Doc's Request.
15-12-2011
Nomination.....
02-02-2012
AOR Received.
13-04-2012
IELTS Request
NA
Med's Request
26-06-2013
Med's Done....
26-07-2013, Received on 15-08-2013, in process 30/10/2013
Passport Req..
(new born medical + RPRF + Passport request) all received on 5-11-2013, Decision made on 25/11/2013
VISA ISSUED...
04/12/2013
LANDED..........
14/1/2014
Just to clarify, it's not "my" spreadsheet :) I'm not one of the spreadsheet organizers.

Maybe let me clarify a bit: I mean that the source country effect is rather negligible compared to other factors. But I still get where you are coming from.

A bit of topic, but Canada generally speaking seems to be less discriminatory towards certain nationals than the US. I'm not claiming that Canada is anywhere close to being discrimination-free, but it's better than in the US. At least that's what my visible minority friends report about their border experience in Canada versus the US. Again, I'm not saying Canada is good, they are just less worse.
I absolutely second this. @spyfy is spot on here. If it helps clarify things, here is the odds when i filed my application

• I am from a country that is often in news headlines (because of its volatile situation)
  • I was missing one of my passport, which include eligibility period, but i provided police report attached to my application
  • I did not had my daughter (minor) original documents as she was outside the country during the interview
  • There were few mistakes in the physical presence calculator but i had enough buffer to accomodiate those missing days

There were few other minor things yet i see decision made on my file.

Summary- The most important thing is to be honest and put everything truthfully. I did that and i was very much clear during the interview as well regarding my file.

imm_leb_01

Apr 3, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28 February 2013
AOR Received.
11 April 2013
Med's Request
25 April 2013
Med's Done....
8 May 2013
Interview........
RPRF Request june 18th
Passport Req..
26 February 2014
VISA ISSUED...
5 March 2014
LANDED..........
29 March 2014
Would you mind telling me from which country you come from ?

I am from Lebanon and my security clearance are taking a lot of time

ZingyDNA

Champion Member
Aug 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-06-2013
AOR Received.
28-08-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
Med's Request
21-02-2014 (principal applicant)
Med's Done....
07-03-2014 (both, upfront for spouse)
Passport Req..
10-04-2014
VISA ISSUED...
22-04-2014
LANDED..........
13-06-2014
When it comes to security checks, I bet they do quite a bit of profiling, *cough *cough not discrimination. That's one of the most effective ways to increase efficiency, which govern agencies severely need.

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
When it comes to security checks, I bet they do quite a bit of profiling, *cough *cough not discrimination. That's one of the most effective ways to increase efficiency, which govern agencies severely need.
While there might very well be subconscious bias and therefore unintentional profiling, I highly doubt there is an official policy supporting this. In fact if it existed it would be illegal.

If I recall, the major issue that slows down security checks is that some governments are less cooperative and much slower when Canadian agencies ask them for clearance. For example it is safe to say that Canada can acquire security clearance much faster for a resident of the UK than for a resident of Iran, simply because Canadian and UK agencies cooperate on a much more integrated level for a multitude of reasons, many of them geopolitical.

stshayesteh

Star Member
Oct 23, 2017
While there might very well be subconscious bias and therefore unintentional profiling, I highly doubt there is an official policy supporting this. In fact if it existed it would be illegal.

If I recall, the major issue that slows down security checks is that some governments are less cooperative and much slower when Canadian agencies ask them for clearance. For example it is safe to say that Canada can acquire security clearance much faster for a resident of the UK than for a resident of Iran, simply because Canadian and UK agencies cooperate on a much more integrated level for a multitude of reasons, many of them geopolitical.
That would have been true if Canada obtained security clearance from country of origin for a citizenship applicant. Is that the case? I thought that clearance is already obtained during PR background check and if they need more they ask for it through police certificate. Do you know if Canada actually acquires security clearance from the country of origin?

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
It is called "implicit bias" these days.

Is it the case that IRCC is conducting security checks through foreign governments these days? My understanding is that there are three checks in the citizenship process: FOSS (Immigration); RCMP (Criminal) and CSIS (National Security). You are required to submit police clearances for foreign countries if you lived there, but what is the actual level of cooperation between IRCC and foreign security agencies in this process?

Reactions: stshayesteh

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
Do you know if Canada actually acquires security clearance from the country of origin?
I know that they do for spousal sponsorship. Not sure about citizenship

ChippyBoy

Dec 5, 2016
The background vetting process can actually encompass all sorts of avenues, not only those that are explicitly stated in the official descriptors for the process. For example, if an officer feels that it's warranted, s/he can search through an applicant's social media contacts, banking records, internet search history, etc.

Joshua1

Nov 18, 2013
In the age of terrorism, if you're from certain countries in the Mideast, North Africa and other hotbed countries (and your name is common), it's not farfetched to assume that your application will get additional security vetting. CSIS collaborates will all the western and international security agencies to find the truth on who will get a Canadian passport. No administration/government/agency wants to be the one who signs off on a citizenship grant and later found that this person is part of a terrorist network. This is common sense. While I'm not from any of those countries, I can empathize with those applicants and understand their paranoia. The 99.9% suffers because of the action of a few.

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
It is called "implicit bias" these days.
Thanks, that's what I meant but the word was escaping me.

Is it the case that IRCC is conducting security checks through foreign governments these days? My understanding is that there are three checks in the citizenship process: FOSS (Immigration); RCMP (Criminal) and CSIS (National Security). You are required to submit police clearances for foreign countries if you lived there, but what is the actual level of cooperation between IRCC and foreign security agencies in this process?
I am not sure myself. I think it all comes down to what CSIS does. I mean IRCC is asking CSIS "Is applicant X clean?" and then CSIS does what CSIS does to come to a yes or no answer. Naturally, CSIS doesn't share the details of what they do.