+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Second LMIA request

vcmiranda

Sep 21, 2015
The company I work for is about to request an LMIA using Global Talent Stream. A company's employee (not the company) hired a lawyer to support him in his PR process. This lawyer is also supporting the company to fullfil the form and request LMIA.
The company is also interested in requesting an LMIA for me. I know my company can use the same plan to request additional LMIAs. Do I have to hire a lawyer for this process?

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
You don't have to, but it may be helpful, especially if you don't know anything about the process. You can either look up all the information yourself, or pay a professional who has experience in this field. If you're a busy professional, it makes sense to pay for expert advice.

Why don't you ask your colleague about his experience with his lawyer?

Reactions: vcmiranda

vcmiranda

Sep 21, 2015
My question is based on the LMIA document than PR process.I'm aware of all the steps, specially that the company just to need to fill this form for an additional position (after they already required the other employee's LMIA) - Global Talent Stream – Annex 1 Additional Occupation, and pay for it, of course.
My asking this because this person insists that I have to hire a lawyer, and I was sure that I didn't have to.
I know it makes sense to pay for expert advice, but I believe it's too expensive for something that I believe is simple (just the second LMIA, not PR process). Maybe, after getting the LMIA I would hire a professional to help me, which it would be way less expensive.
Thank you for the answer.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
My question is based on the LMIA document than PR process.I'm aware of all the steps, specially that the company just to need to fill this form for an additional position (after they already required the other employee's LMIA) - Global Talent Stream – Annex 1 Additional Occupation, and pay for it, of course.
My asking this because this person insists that I have to hire a lawyer, and I was sure that I didn't have to.
I know it makes sense to pay for expert advice, but I believe it's too expensive for something that I believe is simple (just the second LMIA, not PR process). Maybe, after getting the LMIA I would hire a professional to help me, which it would be way less expensive.
Thank you for the answer.
Oh you absolutely do not have to hire a lawyer. If you're comfortable doing it yourself, you can. There's no mandatory requirement to get a lawyer.

Reactions: vcmiranda