+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Searching for accomodation in Montreal

next2015

Nov 18, 2014
Hi All,

My family and I will be finally landing in Montreal this summer, so we're putting together our relocation plan.

Generally, accommodation is our biggest concern; we know for a fact, we should get short-term accommodation on landing (say 30days or even less), as we settle in. Our problem is; which areas to consider for accommodation options, and what value qualifies for a reasonable cost. I've done some research and determined, the West Island part of Montreal is the best option for anyone with bad (or no) french, and prefers a predominantly anglophone community.

Question:

(1) I've identified places such as Pointe-Claire, NDG, Beaconsfield etc. Which part of the West Island area would you recommend for a small, young family of professionals? I don't mind if the recommendation is tied to the nature of accommodation i.e. place(s) X on landing(short-term) and place(s) Y for permanent accommodation options.

(2) I've seen furnished apartments charging $1500 for 30 days' stay, the amount includes power, water, cable tv, internet, and telephone for some. What would one consider a reasonable cost for a furnished apartment rate over a 30 day period with utilities included? Is $1500, $1300, $1000 too high or a good deal?

I'll appreciate any answers and advice.

mrbeachman

Oct 24, 2011
I don't know what you read, but there is no anglophone community in Montreal.

Everyone on West Island speaks French as it is the law, you will not get around that.

I actually would not recommend you to live on West Island especially if you don't have a car. It's far from everywhere and transportation in Montreal is lacking. I actually spent 20 years in Montreal and got by with no French. I can tell you with certainty that it doesn't matter where you live, if you don't speak French you are pretty much at the disadvantage in Quebec. I lived in Plateau, NDG, Downtown even Laval. It's same. You need French.

NDG would probably be your best bet and it's English (sort of). It is still very close to downtown. The only problem with that area is that is right in between 2 Concordia University campuses, you I would suggest you pick a place where there are no students nearby.

I don't know what a reasonable cost for anything less than a year would be. I would suggest you sign a one year contract instead of wasting money. These short term rentals are aimed at tourists and are probably 100% over market.

next2015

Nov 18, 2014
Mrbeachman,
Thank your response.
Just to clarify, I'm aware French is critical in Quebec, generally, so I have no expectation of an English speaking colony in the province. What I have come to understand is; some areas in Montreal have a higher concentration of native English speakers compared to others. It is those areas that I was referring to, and wish to know. My research, most of it validated by members of this forum, indicates these areas are within the West Island part of Montreal. Just clarifying...

I've noted your point on the proximity of the West Island area and downtown Montreal. I'll take that into consideration. Any areas other than NDG you'd recommend? You mentioned some, but you didn't say how far or close they are to downtown. Note that proximity to downtown is for purposes of completing my landing formalities and settling in, once that's achieved I'd certainly be happy leaving for a quieter place.

On the cost, again to clarify, the short term option is for purposes of settling in as we complete the landing formalities as I wish to have easy access to the relevant government service centers e.g RAMQ. Personally, I believe it'd be very unwise to sign a lease term for a house/apartment with no knowledge of the areas, and before finding work since as its its wiser you know where your work will be located. I'm sure every immigrant on landing didn't get into a one year lease; they found a hotel or Airbnb etc, a place where they'd stay for a week or so as they settled in. That's what I mean when I talk about "short-term".

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
next2015 said:
but you didn't say how far or close they are to downtown.
You can use google maps to find the distance/travel time between one point to another using your car or public transits or walking.

mrbeachman

Oct 24, 2011
Downtown Montreal is very small. Actually Montreal is a very small city. However, West Island is located on the outskirts only accessible by highway. So is Laval.

I strongly recommend you avoid living there in the beginning (that includes Baconsfield) just because there are marginally more English people there. Most English speaking people will be communicating in French with you anyway.

I am not sure what kind of work you are looking for and why you choose Montreal. Do you have something lined up? If you don't this might be a really, really long job search. Montreal is not really known as a place of opportunities. This is why I suggest you settle in a cheaper location close to downtown such as NDG, Verdun, Hochelaga-Maisonneuve....

What is the budget for your place?

I stayed once at this short term rental. It was ok, certainly did't look nice like the pictures. But it is downtown and is connected to underground stores. It's not cheap.

http://www.oxfordresidential.ca/rental-properties/property/lacit%C3%A9-apartments

next2015

Nov 18, 2014
mrbeachman,
Thank you; Im definitely going to explore options in the areas you mentioned. Ive also looked at the link, the rates (for furnished options), are a bit high compared to what I have seen on other sites - the pictures sure do look nice though ;D, I guess they'd charge even more if they matched the rooms. Anyways, i'm going to narrow my search to the areas you mentioned, it makes it easier for me.

I really have no specific budget yet on accomodation; I was still doing comparisons and the like, but generally I'd prefer to stay under $1400 for 1 month's accommodation (at the longest), with utilities included. Naturally, I prefer not to compromise on the safety of my family so much as I'd be happy to find a $500 option, i'd turn it down if safety proves to be an issue on the option - usually the case with real estate, higher rates for safer neighborhoods etc., but I won't be breaking the bank either.

On the job search, I have something in the works, so I'm really hopeful... That said, I do have a plan B, which I intend to activate immediately the need arises.

Again, thanks for the valuable info.

akosiempre

Star Member
May 16, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-05-2014
Med's Request
28-08-2014
Med's Done....
08-09-2014
Passport Req..
15-10-2014
VISA ISSUED...
27-10-2014
hi next.

first of all goodluck with your landing.. with regards to your question, yes, west island part of montreal is where the anglophones are concentrated..(you'll even be surprised that even some road signs were written in english!).. my suggestion is just check which part of west island can be reached by stm bus (www.stm.info)and you wont have problems with commute.. i myself lives in pierrefonds, work in downtown and i dont use a car... public transpo is very efficient and cheap.. also living farther from downtown makes your rent cheaper.. so if you're on a tight budget, i would recommend stay away from downtown (within west island area as east island is predominantly french). also, whenever considering an accommodation, be sure there's a bus stop nearby.

im not sure where the other poster got his statement that everyone in west island speaks french.. that's absurd generalization.. he even said that he'd been here 20 years without french.. contradicting aint it?

yes french is essential here in quebec but you can get by without it.

next2015

Nov 18, 2014
akasiempre,
Thank you for your response. It certainly adds a unique perspective coming from someone that is currently located in the city. I greatly appreciate it.

Like I mentioned in my earlier posts; my consideration for downtown is purely for purposes of completing the landing formalities - quick access to govt offices. Once I have completed that (may be a few weeks), I definitely plan on leaving the downtown area. Unless, there are service centers in the West Island area; then I'd gladly skip the entire downtown episode. I'm considering Pointe-Claire, NDG, and now Pierrefonds (following your mentions). What is your opinion on Pointe-Claire?

Did you land in Quebec following a CSQ issue? If so, please share with me your landing experience (I could use some pointers).

akosiempre

Star Member
May 16, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-05-2014
Med's Request
28-08-2014
Med's Done....
08-09-2014
Passport Req..
15-10-2014
VISA ISSUED...
27-10-2014
next2015 said:
akosiempre,
Thank you for your response. It certainly adds a unique perspective coming from someone that is currently located in the city. I greatly appreciate it.

Like I mentioned in my earlier posts; my consideration for downtown is purely for purposes of completing the landing formalities - quick access to govt offices. Once I have completed that (may be a few weeks), I definitely plan on leaving the downtown area. Unless, there are service centers in the West Island area; then I'd gladly skip the entire downtown episode. I'm considering Pointe-Claire, NDG, and now Pierrefonds (following your mentions). What is your opinion on Pointe-Claire?

Did you land in Quebec following a CSQ issue? If so, please share with me your landing experience (I could use some pointers).
with regards to government offices, they are actually scattered and you'll find one near pointe-claire. one Service Canada Center is near fairview mall pointe-claire. (you can check with google maps).. with regards to locations in west island, you may use www.navut.com/finder#/metro/montreal to compare neighborhoods within montreal. pointe-claire is a nice area and more accessible(compared to our location) as it is near highway 40. we actually considered and scouted many apartments/house within west island (pointe-claire, dorval, ddo, st. laurent, and as far as beaconsfield.) we just got a great deal on our apartment so we end up in pierrefonds.

I am actually under FSWP 2014 and not QSWP. we initally settled in Ottawa but I found a job in Montreal that's why we relocated. you can drop me a message so i can give you more tips and suggestions.

Cocoons

Feb 4, 2016
We are family of 3 ( 1 adult and 2 kids , 14 and 6 years old ) I am looking for short place to stay probably 3 weeks . Any advice for a place around Montreal . TIA