+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

SDS Visa Rejected based on Purpose of Visit

pranotimulay

Apr 1, 2019
what rejection quota? dont talk nonsense unless you have proof.

if your reasons are valid why would canada not want you to study and earn your money?
Hello, I did not mean to offend anyone, apologies for that. But this is what I've heard from a lot of people around. And if I'm not wrong, people share their opinions and thinking on the forum without proofs. :)
Sorry if I've misspoken my mind.

archit.shah

Star Member
Apr 11, 2018
Sorry to hear your application was rejected. I know how disturbing it is, I went through the same thing last year.

First of all, I think your initial set of documents seems just fine - I have seen people get visa with much less than that. Although, I can still point out a couple of things that could have made your profile better.

1. SOP as long as 3.5 page - that's a big no no. Think about it, visa officers have limited time on their hand and they evaluate so many applications, so as soon as they see something as long as that they will just skip it or skim through it. You need to answer all those important questions within one or two short sentences while making the most sense. I know its difficult, but it has to be that way. The maximum I would go is 1.5 page not more than that.

2. Did you submit your bank statements? I know you submitted GIC and first year fee but they actually look for bank statements as per the application website.

Even with these 2 above pointers, I think your profile might still would have been rejected because it seems to be purely random. The fact that they did not even bother to give a proper reason (apart from purpose of visit) is mind-boggling. I seriously do not believe your 10-12th grade would have a huge impact because logically speaking they want to look at what you were doing just before applying for graduate course, and in your case your UG scores are above average.

I wouldn't bother waiting on CAIPS Notes if I were you, there are generally useless too. My advice would be to apply again with some additional documents and make your case stronger. You do have an advantage applying for the second time - you will mention on your application form now that you have been rejected for visa once and that means the VO will look into your profile more carefully and that's an opportunity for you to present a stronger and clearer case for yourself with a rejection explanation letter (not more than 1 page again lol).

Here's what I would do, address 2 pointers aggressively - returning to India and purpose of visit.

1. Rejection Explanation Letter - It can be something like this link at the end, although it is 1.5 page because in my case they had mentioned 3 reasons. Take this as an opportunity to counter your rejection reasons head-on by pointing to right documents and facts in your application. Try to explain your purpose things like - Your profession, career goals, why this particular course will help reach there, why Canada and not India. Mention WHY your would return to India, say things like family ties, better job opportunities or growing market in your profession and so on.
Convince them that the rejection grounds are invalid - https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/letter-of-explanation-for-refusal-review-thoughts.568210/#post-7039097

2. SOP - Write a new one, this time just strictly 1 page because you also have a rejection letter. Be sure to answer all standard questions that you mentioned at the start of your post - but briefly. It should not be a life long story, stick to the main points. I do believe each question can be answered in one or two sentences. Anytime you come across something you have answered in rejection letter, just start with "As mentioned in my rejection explanation letter, I would..." and explain it shortly by just referencing to it. To make sure you don't overlap or write the same things again and again.

3. CA Certificate - This one is optional since you did not get rejected on financial reasons, but I think it is kind of re-assuring for them that you are a genuine student with strong ties in India to which you will return. It is easier to get a CA certificate if you have one in your friend circle/family - all you need is a letterhead from their office. Make one mentioning all the assets and property that is in your sponsor's name - usually that would be your parents. And then get an affidavit on stamp paper that they will financially support you during your stay in Canada and upon completion of your studies you will return back.

4. Attach bank statements for you if you didn't already and your sponsor, because it is actually listed on application's financial documents.

Every day we are seeing more and more rejections even with people who have good profiles. It makes me wonder if they actually have some kind of weird "quota" system (as someone mentioned earlier on thread), to limit the exploding influx of students since 2016. It does sound stupid af, but we will never know even if it exists. All we can do is guess what could have made the application better and apply again.

Hope this helps, all the best!

Last edited:

notjonsnow

May 13, 2019
Sorry to hear your application was rejected. I know how disturbing it is, I went through the same thing last year.

First of all, I think your initial set of documents seems just fine - I have seen people get visa with much less than that. Although, I can still point out a couple of things that could have made your profile better.

1. SOP as long as 3.5 page - that's a big no no. Think about it, visa officers have limited time on their hand and they evaluate so many applications, so as soon as they see something as long as that they will just skip it or skim through it. You need to answer all those important questions within one or two short sentences while making the most sense. I know its difficult, but it has to be that way. The maximum I would go is 1.5 page not more than that.

2. Did you submit your bank statements? I know you submitted GIC and first year fee but they actually look for bank statements as per the application website.

Even with these 2 above pointers, I think your profile might still would have been rejected because it seems to be purely random. The fact that they did not even bother to give a proper reason (apart from purpose of visit) is mind-boggling. I seriously do not believe your 10-12th grade would have a huge impact because logically speaking they want to look at what you were doing just before applying for graduate course, and in your case your UG scores are above average.

I wouldn't bother waiting on CAIPS Notes if I were you, there are generally useless too. My advice would be to apply again with some additional documents and make your case stronger. You do have an advantage applying for the second time - you will mention on your application form now that you have been rejected for visa once and that means the VO will look into your profile more carefully and that's an opportunity for you to present a stronger and clearer case for yourself with a rejection explanation letter (not more than 1 page again lol).

Here's what I would do, address 2 pointers aggressively - returning to India and purpose of visit.

1. Rejection Explanation Letter - It can be something like this link at the end, although it is 1.5 page because in my case they had mentioned 3 reasons. Take this as an opportunity to counter your rejection reasons head-on by pointing to right documents and facts in your application. Try to explain your purpose things like - Your profession, career goals, why this particular course will help reach there, why Canada and not India. Mention WHY your would return to India, say things like family ties, better job opportunities or growing market in your profession and so on.
Convince them that the rejection grounds are invalid - https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/letter-of-explanation-for-refusal-review-thoughts.568210/#post-7039097

2. SOP - Write a new one, this time just strictly 1 page because you also have a rejection letter. Be sure to answer all standard questions that you mentioned at the start of your post - but briefly. It should not be a life long story, stick to the main points. I do believe each question can be answered in one or two sentences. Anytime you come across something you have answered in rejection letter, just start with "As mentioned in my rejection explanation letter, I would..." and explain it shortly by just referencing to it. To make sure you don't overlap or write the same things again and again.

3. CA Certificate - This one is optional since you did not get rejected on financial reasons, but I think it is kind of re-assuring for them that you are a genuine student with strong ties in India to which you will return. It is easier to get a CA certificate if you have one in your friend circle/family - all you need is a letterhead from their office. Make one mentioning all the assets and property that is in your sponsor's name - usually that would be your parents. And then get an affidavit on stamp paper that they will financially support you during your stay in Canada and upon completion of your studies you will return back.

4. Attach bank statements for you if you didn't already and your sponsor, because it is actually listed on application's financial documents.

Every day we are seeing more and more rejections even with people who have good profiles. It makes me wonder if they actually have some kind of weird "quota" system (as someone mentioned earlier on thread), to limit the exploding influx of students since 2016. It does sound stupid af, but we will never know even if it exists. All we can do is guess what could have made the application better and apply again.

Thanks a lot Archit for your reply. I really appreciate your detailed insight and it does clear a few doubts of mine.
Yes I wont be waiting for CAIPS notes as I actually don't have time for those, I would be reapplying in a few days. I will definitely work on my SOP and make a shorter one as pointed out by few other users as well. For financial documents, I had already attached 2 years ITRs of my sponsors. Now will also attach a Net Worth Certificate from CA and a Property Valuation Certificate. I've looked at your Letter of Explanation and will draft something similar based on my rejection reason. I hope these are enough and I get through this time.
Again, thank you for your assistance, it really means a lot.
Regards.

Reactions: archit.shah

backendcode

Apr 18, 2014
Guelph
Hello everyone,

My student visa was rejected 2 days back on the following grounds:
  • I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay, as stipulated in subsection 216(1) of the IRPR, based on the purpose of your visit.
This is very disheartening and I'[m still trying to understand what could've gone wrong from my end. I had all my documents in order and had clearly explained in SOP everything. The course is in line with my undergrad degree, why I am choosing to study this in Canada and not in India, why I am choosing Canada, why this course specifically, what are my plans after my course completes, I explained everything.
Only thing I can think of is that I didn't attach any financial documents like property valuation or net worth certificate. I only attached ITRs of family. Maybe that's the reason? Its just a guess. If anyone has any insight on this, please help out, I would really appreciate.

My Academic Profile:
10th: 64%
12th: 58%
BBA: 8 CGPA
IELTS: 7.5 (L: 8.5, R: 8.0, W: 7.0, S: 7.0)
No Backlogs
Scholarship awarded in 1st year
Multiple extra curriculum awards and certificates.
Course I'm applying for: Global Business Management (2 year course)
Qualification: Ontario Post-Graduate Certificate

Work Profile:
2.5 Yrs of Work Exp

My timeline (SDS Online, India):
Medical Upfront: 12th June
Application Submitted: 18th June
Biometric Request: 19th June
Biometric Submitted: 20th June
Medical Passed: 4th July
Biometric Correspondence Letter: 15th July
VISA Rejected: 16th July

Thank you :)
you have a strong profile and I would highly recommend you to apply PR rather than student visa!

Thank you,

HenryVo

Jun 2, 2019
Yes, I somewhat agree with what you say.
Thank you for your input :)
Yeah, I think what I said about the bias towards university students is definitely true.
My status was updated to "Your application was approved" yesterday and I also received passport request letter. And yet, I did NOT even submit a SOP. I only submit the required documents stated in the application and didn't submit any extra document.

narayan55

Star Member
Aug 13, 2010
Have you reapplied? I'm planning on attaching all financial documents that shows strong ties to my home country and then reapplying. I thought I had a strong profile, guess I was wrong :(
i have reapplied with addressing caips note on 28th june

ams1_ind

Star Member
Aug 2, 2019
India
Hello All

I m from India, B Tech Electrical and work experience in UAE

Admission in University of Guelph
MENG Environmental 2 yr course without Co-Op (Env Engg Degree is a mandatory requirement as per my current job profession)

IELTS: 8, 6.5, 6.5, 6.5 and overall 7 band

attached Sponsorship and Job Offer after successful completion of course attested by Chamber of Commerce, Min of Ext Affrs and Canada Consulate in UAE.
Fixed and liquid asset evaluation certf from CA

My time line

1st Application
Applied online 7th June 2019 NON SDS from India
Biometric completed on 13th June 2019
1st Ack Letter on 21st June 2019
2nd Ack Letter on 5th July 2019
Biometric Correspondence letter on 5th July 2019
Refusal Correspondence Letter on 6th July 2019

I didn't submitted my mark sheets, transcripts, Bachelor degree and SOP with application as it was not mandatory.
Then thru webform i submitted SOP for which i received below reply on 2nd July 2019 from CE CSC Do Not Reply

Good day Amir Siddiqui,
Thank you for contacting Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).
We are pleased to confirm the reception of the following document:
  • LOE S30323****.pdf
We have forwarded it to the responsible office for their consideration.
Since your file is located at the Canadian visa office in New Delhi, India, we invite you to also contact them in order to:
  • Report important changes,
  • Provide documents,
  • Add a representative or designated individual on file,
  • Obtain information regarding the status of your application, or
  • Enquire on an outcome to a request.
You will find the complete list of visa offices on our website.

Reasons for refusal

I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay, as stipulated in subsection 216(1) of the IRPR, based on the purpose of your visit.
Your proposed studies are not reasonable in light of one or more of: your qualifications, previous studies, missing marks sheets, academic record, level of establishment, language abilities, or your future prospects and plans.

2nd Application thru IDP
Medical upfront on 9th July 2019 in Delhi
Applied online on 19th July 2019 SDS from India
E-mail from do not reply for app update on 20th July 2019 but cant see any update on GC portal

Attached Re-Application Letter for refusal explanation, Detailed SOP, all certf from 10th 12th and Engg Marksheets and Degree, All pages of new and old passports, CA certf, Marrg Certf, Police Clrnc, 1 yr Tution Fee CAD 25700, GIC CAD 10,000 from Scotia Bank, Sponsorship Letter etc

No update on Medical or Biometric till date.

HenryVo

Jun 2, 2019
Hello All

I m from India, B Tech Electrical and work experience in UAE

Admission in University of Guelph
MENG Environmental 2 yr course without Co-Op (Env Engg Degree is a mandatory requirement as per my current job profession)

IELTS: 8, 6.5, 6.5, 6.5 and overall 7 band

attached Sponsorship and Job Offer after successful completion of course attested by Chamber of Commerce, Min of Ext Affrs and Canada Consulate in UAE.
Fixed and liquid asset evaluation certf from CA

My time line

1st Application
Applied online 7th June 2019 NON SDS from India
Biometric completed on 13th June 2019
1st Ack Letter on 21st June 2019
2nd Ack Letter on 5th July 2019
Biometric Correspondence letter on 5th July 2019
Refusal Correspondence Letter on 6th July 2019

I didn't submitted my mark sheets, transcripts, Bachelor degree and SOP with application as it was not mandatory.
Then thru webform i submitted SOP for which i received below reply on 2nd July 2019 from CE CSC Do Not Reply

Good day Amir Siddiqui,
Thank you for contacting Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).
We are pleased to confirm the reception of the following document:
  • LOE S30323****.pdf
We have forwarded it to the responsible office for their consideration.
Since your file is located at the Canadian visa office in New Delhi, India, we invite you to also contact them in order to:
  • Report important changes,
  • Provide documents,
  • Add a representative or designated individual on file,
  • Obtain information regarding the status of your application, or
  • Enquire on an outcome to a request.
You will find the complete list of visa offices on our website.

Reasons for refusal

I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay, as stipulated in subsection 216(1) of the IRPR, based on the purpose of your visit.
Your proposed studies are not reasonable in light of one or more of: your qualifications, previous studies, missing marks sheets, academic record, level of establishment, language abilities, or your future prospects and plans.

2nd Application thru IDP
Medical upfront on 9th July 2019 in Delhi
Applied online on 19th July 2019 SDS from India
E-mail from do not reply for app update on 20th July 2019 but cant see any update on GC portal

Attached Re-Application Letter for refusal explanation, Detailed SOP, all certf from 10th 12th and Engg Marksheets and Degree, All pages of new and old passports, CA certf, Marrg Certf, Police Clrnc, 1 yr Tution Fee CAD 25700, GIC CAD 10,000 from Scotia Bank, Sponsorship Letter etc

No update on Medical or Biometric till date.
You have a strong profile. But not submitting extremely important documents such as marksheets, transcripts and your Bachelor's degree is a really silly mistake and is an obvious reason for your first rejection.

If you attached all these documents and a strong SOP in your second application, I think you have a good chance at being approved.

ams1_ind

Star Member
Aug 2, 2019
India
You have a strong profile. But not submitting extremely important documents such as marksheets, transcripts and your Bachelor's degree is a really silly mistake and is an obvious reason for your first rejection.

If you attached all these documents and a strong SOP in your second application, I think you have a good chance at being approved.
Thanks for your good words. Hope all goes well as time is running out. till date nothing updated biometric, medical.......

Vishwas.exe

Sep 21, 2019

How much CAD should I show in my bank statement and what other documents are needed other than one year tuition fee and GIC?

Visa Guru

Mar 12, 2021
Hello everyone,

My student visa was rejected 2 days back on the following grounds:
  • I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay, as stipulated in subsection 216(1) of the IRPR, based on the purpose of your visit.
This is very disheartening and I'[m still trying to understand what could've gone wrong from my end. I had all my documents in order and had clearly explained in SOP everything. The course is in line with my undergrad degree, why I am choosing to study this in Canada and not in India, why I am choosing Canada, why this course specifically, what are my plans after my course completes, I explained everything.
Only thing I can think of is that I didn't attach any financial documents like property valuation or net worth certificate. I only attached ITRs of family. Maybe that's the reason? Its just a guess. If anyone has any insight on this, please help out, I would really appreciate.

My Academic Profile:
10th: 64%
12th: 58%
BBA: 8 CGPA
IELTS: 7.5 (L: 8.5, R: 8.0, W: 7.0, S: 7.0)
No Backlogs
Scholarship awarded in 1st year
Multiple extra curriculum awards and certificates.
Course I'm applying for: Global Business Management (2 year course)
Qualification: Ontario Post-Graduate Certificate

Work Profile:
2.5 Yrs of Work Exp

My timeline (SDS Online, India):
Medical Upfront: 12th June
Application Submitted: 18th June
Biometric Request: 19th June
Biometric Submitted: 20th June
Medical Passed: 4th July
Biometric Correspondence Letter: 15th July
VISA Rejected: 16th July

Thank you :)
Dear, to ascertain true n authentic reasons, plz apply for caips/GSM notes. After analysing reason for rejection, reapply.

All d best

Abdullahi98

Star Member
Mar 17, 2020
I am no expert here, but I think your low grades in 10th and 12th might be a problem. Your BBA grade is ok, but the high school grades are quite low and that could have raised questions.
I think it is best if you order CAIPS notes before reapplying.
Hello,i requested for my gcms notes after waiting for my study visa after a year,i receieved the notes and it says "satisfied applicant is a bonafide student.Satisfied applicant will leave canada at the end of study period." Does that mean i will get my visa?

Abdullahi98

Star Member
Mar 17, 2020
Hello,i requested for my gcms notes after waiting for my study visa after a year,i receieved the notes and it says "satisfied applicant is a bonafide student.Satisfied applicant will leave canada at the end of study period." Does that mean i will get my visa?

khokhar152

May 28, 2021
Lahore, Pakistan
I am no expert here, but I think your low grades in 10th and 12th might be a problem. Your BBA grade is ok, but the high school grades are quite low and that could have raised questions.
I think it is best if you order CAIPS notes before reapplying.
that is strange, IRCC should review other things. Its the university's task to check percentages. When the student is accepted by the uni grades shouldnt be a problem