+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Letter of Explanation for Refusal - Review & Thoughts

archit.shah

Star Member
Apr 11, 2018
I have been admitted to University of Waterloo for MMath CS for Fall 18. I had applied for study permit on 24th May 2018 from India and my application was rejected (reasons below). I have put together a letter of explanation for the refusal. If interested, please review the same and post your thoughts, might be very helpful for me and other re-applicants.

Really appreciate your time :) Here's the draft:

Subject: Student Visa Permit Re-application Reference File no: ***

Respected Authority,

This letter is in reference to the re-application of my student visa. My previous application was returned with a couple of questions, which I have respectfully answered in this application. I have also made significant changes to my study permit application by adding new documents, as listed towards the end of this letter.

Please allow me to address the reasons that were stated in the correspondence letter, which are as follows:

1. You have not satisfied me that you would leave Canada at the end of your stay. In reaching this decision, I considered several factors, including:
· Purpose of visit
· Travel history
2. Your proposed studies are not reasonable in light of one or more of:

· Your language qualifications are insufficient.

JUSTIFICATION:

(a) Purpose of Visit

I have been admitted to the prestigious University of Waterloo for Master of Mathematics in Computer Science (Coursework) program. This program is offered by University of Waterloo’s Cheriton School of Computer Science department, which is very well reputed globally and is home to several distinguished computer scientists.

I hold a bachelor’s degree in Computer Science & Engineering and for the past two years, I have been working as Business Intelligence and Analytics Consultant in Bangalore. My current job involves helping organizations extract useful information with data analytics and mathematical models. I have realized that in order to engage in challenging projects for data analytics, I need to undertake graduate studies and build upon my knowledge. There is a considerable overlap between Mathematics and Computer Science, especially when dealing with data analytics. Cheriton School of Computer Science offers several courses that incorporate this overlap very well.

My sole purpose of visiting Canada is to attend University of Waterloo for this program. I wish to learn advanced computer science subjects specializing in data analytics as it will help me expand my knowledge & expertise in this field. I also wish to interact with the pioneers of this field at University of Waterloo, and learn from their experience.

Upon completion of my program in Canada, I wish to return to my family in India and pursue a career in data analytics. India is an emerging data analytics hub for both private and government organizations. This field holds immense potential for professionals with an advanced skillset in data analytics. A graduate degree from University of Waterloo coupled with two years of work experience in India, will help me pursue a challenging career at research and development departments related to data analytics in India.

To further underline my purpose of visiting Canada, I have attached the receipt of my first-year tuition fee payment from University of Waterloo along with a Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC) from ICICI bank to cover my expenses for the first year.

(b) Travel History

As submitted with my application, I hold a single passport with number *** issued by Government of India on ***, valid until ***. I do not hold any passport from other countries. Also, I do not hold any expired passport issued by India or any other country.

As shown in my submitted passport, I have not yet travelled to any other countries outside of India until now. I did not have any purpose to visit other countries until now as I have been focused on my academic and professional goals, preparing for a higher education.

(c) Insufficient Language Qualifications

To underline my English language qualification, I have attached my TOEFL scorecard with the application. I had appeared for a TOEFL iBT (Test of English as a Foreign Language Internet based test) exam on 6th August 2016 and scored a total of 108 out of 120. Individual-section wise I have scored reading-28, listening-25, speaking-27 and writing-28.

My TOEFL scores have been accepted by University of Waterloo as proof of my English language proficiency. The minimum required TOEFL score for my program is 100 (As mentioned on University website: https://cs.uwaterloo.ca/future-graduate-students/applying-admissions).

Additional Information: New documents that are enclosed with this re-application are listed below.

1. First year tuition fee receipt from University of Waterloo – CAD 22,800
2. Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC) – CAD 10,025
3. Family wealth statement from Chartered Accountant
4. Property Evaluation Document Copy

To conclude, I would like to bring to your attention that I have got a confirmed admission to University of Waterloo for Masters of Mathematics in Computer Science course for Fall 2018. I would request you to kindly reconsider my study permit application and grant me the approval, so I can pursue higher studies in Canada.

All the details furnished by me and all the documents attached with my applications are true and correct. For any further clarification, please reach out to me on the below details and I would be happy to address your concerns.

Thank you very much for your valuable time.

Yours Sincerely,
Phone: ***

Email: ***

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You've misunderstood the travel history refusal. Ideally CIC is looking for previous travel to countries requiring visas such as the US and UK. The travel history refusal means that one of the reasons why you are being refused is because you haven't previously traveled to a country such as this. Based on that, I'm not sure you've included the right explanation in your letter.

Similarly the purpose of visit refusal can refer to a lot more than just your planned studies. This can often mean that you didn't demonstrate sufficient ties to your home country and IRCC has concerns you have plans to remain in Canada long term.

Reactions: visatest and Yvee

archit.shah

Star Member
Apr 11, 2018
You've misunderstood the travel history refusal. Ideally CIC is looking for previous travel to countries requiring visas such as the US and UK. The travel history refusal means that one of the reasons why you are being refused is because you haven't previously traveled to a country such as this. Based on that, I'm not sure you've included the right explanation in your letter.

Similarly the purpose of visit refusal can refer to a lot more than just your planned studies. This can often mean that you didn't demonstrate sufficient ties to your home country and IRCC has concerns you have plans to remain in Canada long term.
Hi Scylla, thank you so much for your reply. Below are my thoughts, do let me know what you think!

1. For travel history, I was not sure whether they suspect I am hiding my foreign travels or whether they are not sure I will leave Canada upon completion of studies because I have not yet travelled to any other country as you have mentioned. So I tried to address both. And on your point, I genuinely do not have any other reason apart from the one mentioned "I did not have any purpose to visit other countries until now as I have been focused on my academic and professional goals, preparing for a higher education." Do you think is there a better way communicate this? What do people with no travel history mention in their refusal letter?

2. For purpose of visit, I have kept it focused on my actual purpose of visit for the first 3 para and have subtly mentioned that I will return to my family upon completion on 4th para. But I do see your point and it makes sense. I have put together a separate paragraph for the same below, do let me know your thoughts.

"I have a well established family in India, where my parents and my sister live at our family home. I have attached a property evaluation document of our home in India, which is owned by my father (Mr. Rakesh Chinubhai Shah). I have also attached a wealth evaluation certificate, issued by a Chartered Accountant, which lists all movable and immovable assets in the name of my parents and myself, demonstrating ties to my home country, India. Upon completion of my program in Canada, I wish to return closer to my family home with parents and pursue a career in India."

archit.shah

Star Member
Apr 11, 2018
I have been admitted to University of Waterloo for MMath CS for Fall 18. I had applied for study permit on 24th May 2018 from India and my application was rejected (reasons below). I have put together a letter of explanation for the refusal. If interested, please review the same and post your thoughts, might be very helpful for me and other re-applicants.

Really appreciate your time :) Here's the draft:

Subject: Student Visa Permit Re-application Reference File no: ***

Respected Authority,

This letter is in reference to the re-application of my student visa. My previous application was returned with a couple of questions, which I have respectfully answered in this application. I have also made significant changes to my study permit application by adding new documents, as listed towards the end of this letter.

Please allow me to address the reasons that were stated in the correspondence letter, which are as follows:

1. You have not satisfied me that you would leave Canada at the end of your stay. In reaching this decision, I considered several factors, including:
· Purpose of visit
· Travel history
2. Your proposed studies are not reasonable in light of one or more of:

· Your language qualifications are insufficient.

JUSTIFICATION:

(a) Purpose of Visit

I have been admitted to the prestigious University of Waterloo for Master of Mathematics in Computer Science (Coursework) program. This program is offered by University of Waterloo’s Cheriton School of Computer Science department, which is very well reputed globally and is home to several distinguished computer scientists.

I hold a bachelor’s degree in Computer Science & Engineering and for the past two years, I have been working as Business Intelligence and Analytics Consultant in Bangalore. My current job involves helping organizations extract useful information with data analytics and mathematical models. I have realized that in order to engage in challenging projects for data analytics, I need to undertake graduate studies and build upon my knowledge. There is a considerable overlap between Mathematics and Computer Science, especially when dealing with data analytics. Cheriton School of Computer Science offers several courses that incorporate this overlap very well.

My sole purpose of visiting Canada is to attend University of Waterloo for this program. I wish to learn advanced computer science subjects specializing in data analytics as it will help me expand my knowledge & expertise in this field. I also wish to interact with the pioneers of this field at University of Waterloo, and learn from their experience.

Upon completion of my program in Canada, I wish to return to my family in India and pursue a career in data analytics. India is an emerging data analytics hub for both private and government organizations. This field holds immense potential for professionals with an advanced skillset in data analytics. A graduate degree from University of Waterloo coupled with two years of work experience in India, will help me pursue a challenging career at research and development departments related to data analytics in India.

To further underline my purpose of visiting Canada, I have attached the receipt of my first-year tuition fee payment from University of Waterloo along with a Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC) from ICICI bank to cover my expenses for the first year.

(b) Travel History

As submitted with my application, I hold a single passport with number *** issued by Government of India on ***, valid until ***. I do not hold any passport from other countries. Also, I do not hold any expired passport issued by India or any other country.

As shown in my submitted passport, I have not yet travelled to any other countries outside of India until now. I did not have any purpose to visit other countries until now as I have been focused on my academic and professional goals, preparing for a higher education.

(c) Insufficient Language Qualifications

To underline my English language qualification, I have attached my TOEFL scorecard with the application. I had appeared for a TOEFL iBT (Test of English as a Foreign Language Internet based test) exam on 6th August 2016 and scored a total of 108 out of 120. Individual-section wise I have scored reading-28, listening-25, speaking-27 and writing-28.

My TOEFL scores have been accepted by University of Waterloo as proof of my English language proficiency. The minimum required TOEFL score for my program is 100 (As mentioned on University website: https://cs.uwaterloo.ca/future-graduate-students/applying-admissions).

Additional Information: New documents that are enclosed with this re-application are listed below.

1. First year tuition fee receipt from University of Waterloo – CAD 22,800
2. Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC) – CAD 10,025
3. Family wealth statement from Chartered Accountant
4. Property Evaluation Document Copy

To conclude, I would like to bring to your attention that I have got a confirmed admission to University of Waterloo for Masters of Mathematics in Computer Science course for Fall 2018. I would request you to kindly reconsider my study permit application and grant me the approval, so I can pursue higher studies in Canada.

All the details furnished by me and all the documents attached with my applications are true and correct. For any further clarification, please reach out to me on the below details and I would be happy to address your concerns.

Thank you very much for your valuable time.

Yours Sincerely,
Phone: ***

Email: ***
I am applying tomorrow, and I am a bit nervous about this letter. Would really love to have some thoughts from people in the forum.

Thanks.

Gayatriwilb

Sep 10, 2017
I am applying tomorrow, and I am a bit nervous about this letter. Would really love to have some thoughts from people in the forum.

Thanks.
I received a refusal on my application. While preparing a letter of explanation, I came across yours. What happened to your Visa? Did you receive an approval?

Reactions: DayDreamerBr

no.cap.alex

Apr 10, 2019
It was the same, I included the travel history as per the first comment.
awesome, so, i believe theres no need to explain why you chose canada and the course you plan to pursue like on the first sop or loe.
just to write about the refusal and how you tackle the refusal reason

Reactions: Shama001

archit.shah

Star Member
Apr 11, 2018
awesome, so, i believe theres no need to explain why you chose canada and the course you plan to pursue like on the first sop or loe.
just to write about the refusal and how you tackle the refusal reason
Yes, that’s correct. I attached the SOP as well while applying again, just in case they want to see it. But you are right, this one is purely to counter the rejection reasons.

Vedant46

Star Member
Apr 29, 2019
Kolhapur
Visa Office......
Delhi
Yes, let me know how I can help?
My visa also got refused today . So I need to ask that how I can reapply for visa ? And here is my reason for my refusal :-

• I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay, as stipulated in subsection 216(1) of the IRPR, based on the purpose of your visit.
• Your proposed studies are not reasonable in light of: your level of establishment, language abilities, financial ability and I am not satisfied you are a genuine student and that you will depart Canada at the end of your authorized stay.

So my question is what should I do now?

Reactions: Anaan

archit.shah

Star Member
Apr 11, 2018
My visa also got refused today . So I need to ask that how I can reapply for visa ? And here is my reason for my refusal :-

• I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay, as stipulated in subsection 216(1) of the IRPR, based on the purpose of your visit.
• Your proposed studies are not reasonable in light of: your level of establishment, language abilities, financial ability and I am not satisfied you are a genuine student and that you will depart Canada at the end of your authorized stay.

So my question is what should I do now?
I was in the similar situation as you are last year. You should re-apply as soon as possible with additional documents and countering their reasons, showing them why they are wrong, if you are a genuine student.

Can you share your profile and documents that you submitted last time?

Vedant46

Star Member
Apr 29, 2019
Kolhapur
Visa Office......
Delhi
I was in the similar situation as you are last year. You should re-apply as soon as possible with additional documents and countering their reasons, showing them why they are wrong, if you are a genuine student.

Can you share your profile and documents that you submitted last time?
Hi there can you share me your other mode of communication where I can reach . Because I have many doubts. So it will be kind if you shared your mobile no / mail id where I can reach !!!!

Thank you