+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

SDS - Processing Time 2023

saisuri2015

Sep 7, 2023
I applied though SDS-stream via a lawyer. My biometrics were done on the 25th of July. My classes started on September 6th (Now it is September 7th Today). My university says the last day to drop courses are 15th of September and recommends those that can't make it by this date to consider deferring to next year (12 months gap) (Defer from Fall 2023 to Fall 2024). My upfront medical examination was taken care of, and everything is, for the most part, in order. I'm unsure whether my application has been possibly backlogged, or it would be worth waiting past the 15th of September recommended date (by the university) as mentioned previously. My lawyer wants me to wait until close to 15th of September before deciding on deferring. It has been 6 weeks and + 2 days (or 44 days in total) since I submitted my biometrics. When I was submitting my biometrics, the person at the reception said, "...once you get your study permit which could be 2 months or 3 months from now". In 2023, the "target" processing times are 20 calander days for SDS-stream; however, are the average processing times different for India (in 2023 specifically)? Would it be worth waiting past 15th of September? My lawyer says that I have a strong application. Also, how would this affect my PGWP?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I applied though SDS-stream via a lawyer. My biometrics were done on the 25th of July. My classes started on September 6th (Now it is September 7th Today). My university says the last day to drop courses are 15th of September and recommends those that can't make it by this date to consider deferring to next year (12 months gap) (Defer from Fall 2023 to Fall 2024). My upfront medical examination was taken care of, and everything is, for the most part, in order. I'm unsure whether my application has been possibly backlogged, or it would be worth waiting past the 15th of September recommended date (by the university) as mentioned previously. My lawyer wants me to wait until close to 15th of September before deciding on deferring. It has been 6 weeks and + 2 days (or 44 days in total) since I submitted my biometrics. When I was submitting my biometrics, the person at the reception said, "...once you get your study permit which could be 2 months or 3 months from now". In 2023, the "target" processing times are 20 calander days for SDS-stream; however, are the average processing times different for India (in 2023 specifically)? Would it be worth waiting past 15th of September? My lawyer says that I have a strong application. Also, how would this affect my PGWP?
The target date of 20 days has not been met since before COVID. The issue is you still need to get approval and passport stamped. Don’t think this will happen within the week. Wait until the 13th and then defer. If you wait until past the 15th and your visa is refused then you don’t get money back. Can you even pass the courses by missing so many classes and possibly missing assignments?

Reactions: saisuri2015

saisuri2015

Sep 7, 2023
The target date of 20 days has not been met since before COVID. The issue is you still need to get approval and passport stamped. Don’t think this will happen within the week. Wait until the 13th and then defer. If you wait until past the 15th and your visa is refused then you don’t get money back. Can you even pass the courses by missing so many classes and possibly missing assignments?
True, that's something to think about. It could indeed be a stressful semester and I will likely miss attendance and assignments. However, with regards to the refund, they mentioned that I can get the tuition refunded in cases such as a study permit refusal. However, I am unsure if this would apply for those that have received decisions after the September 15th (university drop/add) deadline. Do you think I would still get a refund in this case?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
True, that's something to think about. It could indeed be a stressful semester and I will likely miss attendance and assignments. However, with regards to the refund, they mentioned that I can get the tuition refunded in cases such as a study permit refusal. However, I am unsure if this would apply for those that have received decisions after the September 15th (university drop/add) deadline. Do you think I would still get a refund in this case?
You have to ask the school because every school has different refund policies.

Reactions: saisuri2015

parrots

Jul 19, 2022
Hey @dcostaanisha! :) Sorry for a late reply! You should send your new LOA to the IRCC via the webform as soon as you get it. It will be instantly attached to your application. They probably will issue you your permits based on your old LOA and you'll have to extend your SP later. However, it is your obligation to inform the IRCC about the new LOA.

You cannot add your children to your current application. You will have to open a new one separately for them. If they are school kids, then you will have to apply for the study permits for them as well with all standard things for SP applications.

There is no time restriction now on when you can arrive to Canada prior to your studies, but the implication is about 2-1 months in advance. Any time earlier would be a bit suspicious.

Hope this helps! How is it going with your application now?

@parrots I also wanted to ask, the process. I mean, now once we inform the uni and the program for me is deferred to next year, do I need to update something to IRCC? and if so when? Wait for the decision and after that or right away?
am assuming after the in progress decision changes to let's says visa granted' then which documents and how to update to IRCC? Also, I had not added our kids in this joint application so far, as had planned to take them after their academic session completed in Feb 24. Now that this looks like September 24 for me, can I amend the overall application or apply fresh for
THEN, what is next....how soon are we allowed to go to Canada, I was reading not before 90 days of the course start date?

thomas06

Star Member
Feb 18, 2020
HELLO GUYS

PLEASE ANYONE ADVICE ABOUT THE LANGUAGE TEST FOR STUDY PERMIT - The university is accepting the Duolingo English test but I observed in IRCC they asked only about IELTS and TOEFL.

So please advise anyone who is applying for a study permit with a Duolingo English test certificate.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
HELLO GUYS

PLEASE ANYONE ADVICE ABOUT THE LANGUAGE TEST FOR STUDY PERMIT - The university is accepting the Duolingo English test but I observed in IRCC they asked only about IELTS and TOEFL.

So please advise anyone who is applying for a study permit with a Duolingo English test certificate.
IRCC doesn’t accept Duolingo.

victoriauy

Sep 19, 2023
Hello! I applied for a study permit under the SDS category and submitted an application for a TRV as well. For context, I already have an ETA and was very negligent with my mistake (which i fully acknowledge). With this, i was wondering what would happen to my VISA application? would they cancel it?

Aesha05

Oct 15, 2023
I submitted under sds category on 23 sept and biometric completed on 27 sept. When should i expect my ppr. It has been more than 20 days.

xyrane

Oct 20, 2023
  • Upfront Medical: 25th September 2023
  • File Lodged: 4th October 2023
  • Biometrics Updated: 20th October 2023
  • Biometrics Completed: 20th October 2023
  • Background Verification: In Progress
  • Medical Exam: updated 20th October
  • Eligibility: Not Started
  • PPR 20th October 2023

Aesha05

Oct 15, 2023
  • Upfront Medical: 25th September 2023
  • File Lodged: 4th October 2023
  • Biometrics Updated: 20th October 2023
  • Biometrics Completed: 20th October 2023
  • Background Verification: In Progress
  • Medical Exam: updated 20th October
  • Eligibility: Not Started
  • PPR 20th October 2023
Background Verification and Eligibility both are complete right?
Congratulations for the PPR!

rakmognihsoh

Oct 16, 2023
India
Category........
STUDY
Visa Office......
India
App. Filed.......
04-10-2023
Med's Done....
20-09-2023
Passport Req..
03-11-2023
I submitted under sds category on 23 sept and biometric completed on 27 sept. When should i expect my ppr. It has been more than 20 days.
Hey did you receive any update on your application?

Junera

Oct 2, 2023
I did my biometrics and medical on the 3rd of Aug, 2023, but I was asked for a sputum test, which the result came out on the 17th October 2023 as negative but to do a repeat xray on the 3rd of Nov, 2023, but I checked my tracker for the first time on the 10th of Oct, it should Eligibility- Completed, and on the History, there was an update on the 15th of Sept for Medical Exam on the timeline, which was in progress. But I checked again yesterday and discovered “Eligibility” changed to “in progress” again, BG- In progress, Medical in progress, just Biometrics Completed, I want to know the meaning of this, I don’t know if anyone must have experienced this.

Aishi_x

Oct 17, 2023
Hey everyone
SDS study visa, country India
Biometrics - 6sept 2023
Medical updated - 14 sept 2023
Background check- in process since the start
Eligibility - not yet started
It's more than one and half and my application status has not changed since 14 sept.
Does anyone know how long background check usually takes? Really worried by the wait