+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

SDS 2022 Processing Time

parrots

Jul 19, 2022
Hey @thomas23 Yes, I really wish for the same! ;)

We did our Biometrics on May 12 after we submitted our first SP + OWP SDS application on May 8 last year. We got a refusal on September 11 (18 weeks in process) for "purpose of visit is inconsistent with...". This is our second application.

Thanks a lot parrots! I really hope we hear some news soon. When did you do your biometrics?

parrots

Jul 19, 2022
We had two updates on April 19, my Biometrics changed from "In progress" to "Completed" and my husband's Biometrics changed from "Not started" to "In progress". The Biometrics in our GCKey still reads "We do not need your fingerprints."

Everything else remained the same - Medical "Completed" for me and "Not started" for my husband, and "Eligibility" and "Background Check" "In progress" for both of us. These are all the same in GCKey as well.

@trkm93 expressed an idea that April 19 was a kind of monthly update cause another one happened on March 20. I tend to agree with this because my Medical was updated precisely on March 20 in both GCKey and the Tracker. I do not believe these updates mean anything. Let's wait for May 19-20 and confirm this :rolleyes:

Hey parrots! I’m wondering, what was the updates you got on the 19th of april? Mine also updated on the 19th. Were these updates already present on your GCKEY?

parrots

Jul 19, 2022
Thank you for this information @thomas23 It sheds some light on the way things are and I think this is very close to reality. Once I tried to do math myself by putting together the number of applications, number of the IRCC officers, and hours in the working week. It does look incredibly rushed. I am very concerned about this as I've tried to go through our application with all our documents and quite lengthy LOEs and it took me a fair 30 minutes or more. But I know all our documents and letters and understand them. For a first-time read, I would say it should take at least an hour or two. I have no idea how they do it in 7 minutes.

Well sorry to be the bearer of bad news but actually, an officer takes about 16-28 minutes to review a study permit application.

Quotes from an immigration lawyer :

In 2019, it took the average IRCC officer 16-28 minutes to process initial study permit applications.

Of this, 3-10 minutes was spent on Pre-Assessment, which includes intake, file-creation, pre-screening, biometric enrolment, manual inputting of up-front medical results and adding information about co-op work permits, if applicable.

1. 7 minutes was spent on Eligibility, which includes assessing eligibility and verifying documents.
  2. 6 minute was spent on Admissibility, which includes assessing admissibility, file transfer, medicals, and background checks.
  3. 6 minutes was spent on Decision, which includes drafting and sending an approval or refusal.

1-2 minutes was spent on Post-Decision, which includes printing visas in passports if required.

ridhamp00

Mar 8, 2023
Well sorry to be the bearer of bad news but actually, an officer takes about 16-28 minutes to review a study permit application.

Quotes from an immigration lawyer :

In 2019, it took the average IRCC officer 16-28 minutes to process initial study permit applications.

Of this, 3-10 minutes was spent on Pre-Assessment, which includes intake, file-creation, pre-screening, biometric enrolment, manual inputting of up-front medical results and adding information about co-op work permits, if applicable.

1. 7 minutes was spent on Eligibility, which includes assessing eligibility and verifying documents.
  2. 6 minute was spent on Admissibility, which includes assessing admissibility, file transfer, medicals, and background checks.
  3. 6 minutes was spent on Decision, which includes drafting and sending an approval or refusal.

1-2 minutes was spent on Post-Decision, which includes printing visas in passports if required.
hey @thomas23 the acts you've mentioned are already done in small bits and parts, not one single officer does it all... for pre assessment you already submitted an online application so they dont have to manually do stuff there, you get your application summary instantly after applying and BIL too for your biometrics, rest each point you've mentioned there are carried on by different officers i've got a strong arguement to back my words. why would an officer leave your file mid way after your eligibility when he can just spend 12 more minutes to clear your file xD? hence the decision making is done by visa officer and chores are led by junior officers or support staff. As of passport printing you havent sent your passport with your file so you only get your passport request if your visa is confirmed. What you've told here is for offline application which truly require efforts to process but still the tasks are done by different people and not just one. Its more effective and feasible to them.

Latifa Annie

Feb 21, 2023
Hey @Latifa Annie Could you, please, share your timeline with us? Which country did you apply for? Are you a family applicant? :)
Hello sure ofc
This is my 3rd study permit application since my first 2 was refused
I applied on 25th March
Got BVL on 31st march
Afterwards no update

tracker says eligibility & biometric is completed but background check is in progress.

Reactions: parrots

step1234

Mar 8, 2023
Thank you for this information @thomas23 It sheds some light on the way things are and I think this is very close to reality. Once I tried to do math myself by putting together the number of applications, number of the IRCC officers, and hours in the working week. It does look incredibly rushed. I am very concerned about this as I've tried to go through our application with all our documents and quite lengthy LOEs and it took me a fair 30 minutes or more. But I know all our documents and letters and understand them. For a first-time read, I would say it should take at least an hour or two. I have no idea how they do it in 7 minutes.
@parrots someone sent me this. Thought I should share with you. Most people had updates on the 19th. I think its a general update from IRCC. I believe you will get your good news soon. Keep the faith, pray and trust the Process.

https://www.facebook.com/reel/175715292036833?s=yWDuG2&fs=e&mibextid=Nif5oz

timpaine

Apr 24, 2023
@parrots Hello, was hoping to get some clarity here

Here's my timeline:

Application submitted: 6th April, 2023
Biometrics completed: 12th April, 2023
Biometrics updated: 13th April, 2023

I have had no change in my profile since - "We are processing your application. We will send you a message when there is an update or if we need more information from you."
I had gone and completed my medicals on 9th March, 2023 itself and they said it would be sent directly, however this hasn't been updated on my profile and under medicals its saying 'You do not need a medical exam. We will send you a message if this changes.' I can't see anything under the estimated completion date too.
I'm unsure what to do and what the next steps are + how much more time would it take to see an update on my profile. Any help on this would be appreciated. (Application from India, going to BC).

Latifa Annie

Feb 21, 2023
@parrots Hello, was hoping to get some clarity here

Here's my timeline:

Application submitted: 6th April, 2023
Biometrics completed: 12th April, 2023
Biometrics updated: 13th April, 2023

I have had no change in my profile since - "We are processing your application. We will send you a message when there is an update or if we need more information from you."
I had gone and completed my medicals on 9th March, 2023 itself and they said it would be sent directly, however this hasn't been updated on my profile and under medicals its saying 'You do not need a medical exam. We will send you a message if this changes.' I can't see anything under the estimated completion date too.
I'm unsure what to do and what the next steps are + how much more time would it take to see an update on my profile. Any help on this would be appreciated. (Application from India, going to BC).
Do you know how to use the tracker system? Check on the tracker if your medicals is updated there because these days gckey takes long to update. If tracker says medicals completed then it’s means it’s has been updated

timpaine

Apr 24, 2023
Do you know how to use the tracker system? Check on the tracker if your medicals is updated there because these days gckey takes long to update. If tracker says medicals completed then it’s means it’s has been updated
I just checked the tracker, and it still says medical exam- not started
In fact on the tracker, the application history is only till 'Application received' (it does say biometrics completed but doesnt show it on the timeline).

Latifa Annie

Feb 21, 2023
I just checked the tracker, and it still says medical exam- not started
In fact on the tracker, the application history is only till 'Application received' (it does say biometrics completed but doesnt show it on the timeline).
Okay you know what it’s still might be a bit early for any update’s considering the strike . Because I know someone who applied on 31st March and their eligibility started a day ago. So just be patience. The strike is slowing down processes

timpaine

Apr 24, 2023
Okay you know what it’s still might be a bit early for any update’s considering the strike . Because I know someone who applied on 31st March and their eligibility started a day ago. So just be patience. The strike is slowing down processes
Fair enough, thank you! It does say the background verification is in process so just gonna wait it out :)

parrots

Jul 19, 2022
Thank you @Latifa Annie for your reply :) I believe that you are on the verge of a great news, whenever it may be coming! If your Eligibility is "Completed" it should mean PPR. And the fact that you've received your BVL means that the decision has already been made. No-one can understand why BVL and PPR often times come so far apart from each other.

What were the reasons for your two refusals and how did you tackle them?

My husband and I are waiting for the decision on our second application from February 16. Our first reason for refusal was "unreasonable" program of studies. We haven't changed my program, but have written two stronger LOEs.

Hello sure ofc
This is my 3rd study permit application since my first 2 was refused
I applied on 25th March
Got BVL on 31st march
Afterwards no update

tracker says eligibility & biometric is completed but background check is in progress.

Reactions: Latifa Annie

Latifa Annie

Feb 21, 2023
Thank you @Latifa Annie for your reply :) I believe that you are on the verge of a great news, whenever it may be coming! If your Eligibility is "Completed" it should mean PPR. And the fact that you've received your BVL means that the decision has already been made. No-one can understand why BVL and PPR often times come so far apart from each other.

What were the reasons for your two refusals and how did you tackle them?

My husband and I are waiting for the decision on our second application from February 16. Our first reason for refusal was "unreasonable" program of studies. We haven't changed my program, but have written two stronger LOEs.
Thanks for your reply. And thanks for the motivation.
Well to keep it short. My 2 refusuals were because I applied to the wrong office. I’m from Ghana but I reside in UAE I should have applied to Ghana office then but I didn’t really know. I meant someone on this forum who was in the exact situation and he advised I should apply from home since when he did he got the visa also. So that’s basically why.
If I may ask. What does it say on the tracker for you & your husband? And have you done your medicals?

parrots

Jul 19, 2022
Hey @step1234, it's great to hear from you! :) Thank you for sharing this link! You have confirmed my suspicions, thanks you! Oh, you know, encouragement coming form you really does mean a lot as your timeline certainly gives a lot of hope for those of us who are still waiting. I have a feeling that more complex applications (like ours) are not considered by contractual workers, but by senior IRCC staff members. For this reason, we are just following the news on strike and hope that our application will be opened when the strike is over. Thank you for sharing your strength with us, it'll keep us going! :)

@parrots someone sent me this. Thought I should share with you. Most people had updates on the 19th. I think its a general update from IRCC. I believe you will get your good news soon. Keep the faith, pray and trust the Process.

https://www.facebook.com/reel/175715292036833?s=yWDuG2&fs=e&mibextid=Nif5oz