+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

SDS 2022 Processing Time

parrots

Jul 19, 2022
Any idea what is the average processing time for family applications this year in case of SP + SOWP + Kid, all applied together in one application?
It seems this update is not available anywhere, maybe I am not unable to locate.
There is no official timeline for family applicants. It is supposed to be the same timeline as for non-SDS or SDS SP as the spouse's application should be processed together with a prime student applicant. However, based on the stories from people of this forum, it seems that almost all family applicants have gotten their results in 16+ weeks with an average of 20 weeks and one extreme case of 10 months than I can think of and that I feel I am personally heading towards as well.

Ad123j

Jul 11, 2022
There is no official timeline for family applicants. It is supposed to be the same timeline as for non-SDS or SDS SP as the spouse's application should be processed together with a prime student applicant. However, based on the stories from people of this forum, it seems that almost all family applicants have gotten their results in 16+ weeks with an average of 20 weeks and one extreme case of 10 months than I can think of and that I feel I am personally heading towards as well.
ok, almost 16 weeks are over now/109 days from the date of file submission.

I came across this community link on YouTube, it has screenshots of ppr timelines of family applicants. (2405) CanadaTuber - YouTube

parrots

Jul 19, 2022
Hey guys, my husband and I have received a refusal on our SP / OWP application from the IRCC this morning.

The processing time of our application has taken exactly 18 weeks to the date: from May 8 (application submitted, Biometrics May 12) to September 11 (decision made). We have received our BVL and decision letters all four together. Everything was updated on my husband's application on 11 September as well except for his Medical (this one remains without an update). My application had previous updates of Biometrics (May 12), Medical (June 29).

We have got only one reason of refusal: "The purpose of your visit to Canada is not consistent with a temporary stay given the details you have provided in your application." To tell you all the truth, we are absolutely relieved to only receive one reason of refusal because we were especially concerned with my applying for a second BA degree being over 25 years old. We are expats in China, which makes it extremely difficult for us to prove our ties to our home country or the country of residence and we also had profiles in Express Entry in 2021, which could have been a red flag for the IRCC.

I am immensely grateful to you @Geet7 for your candid answers to all questions and the fact that you shared your story because, as I mentioned before, you are our greatest support and inspiration and, probably, one of the strongest reasons we will re-apply. Thank you so much! And thank you to our group of family applicants, you know who you are, and to everyone here!

We will wait for our GCMS notes to arrive to learn the exact detailed reason for the refusal and I will also contact my university with a request to defer for September 2023. The reason for this is that we do not think that there is enough time for us to re-apply for the Winter 2023 semester, taking into consideration that GCMS notes might take 1-2 months and the re-application another, say, 18 weeks. So, the best strategy we see now is to contact the university and get ready for a re-application in March 2023 (to give us plenty of time for another 18-week SDS processing time - still wondering where is a palm face emoji on this forum?).

All in all, we feel all right and ready to continue our journey :p And of course, I'll continue posting with our updates here ;)

One more thing I forgot to add, we sincerely wish good luck to every applicant on this forum regardless of the decision you get because as much as it sucks to get a refusal, I have to honestly say, that it still feels that we are on the right track and as someone on this forum (who has been waiting for his family application for 10 months) said, "may be that is the right time for us". We feel the same way. Good luck everyone! :D

Last edited:

Pravee_S

Jun 27, 2022
Hey guys, my husband and I have received a refusal on our SP / OWP application from the IRCC this morning.

The processing time of our application has taken exactly 18 weeks to the date: from May 8 (application submitted, Biometrics May 12) to September 11 (decision made). We have received our BVL and decision letters all four together. Everything was updated on my husband's application on 11 September as well except for his Medical (this one remains without an update). My application had previous updates of Biometrics (May 12), Medical (June 29).

We have got only one reason of refusal: "The purpose of your visit to Canada is not consistent with a temporary stay given the details you have provided in your application." To tell you all the truth, we are absolutely relieved to only receive one reason of refusal because we were especially concerned with my applying for a second BA degree being over 25 years old. We are expats in China, which makes it extremely difficult for us to prove our ties to our home country or the country of residence and we also had profiles in Express Entry in 2021, which could have been a red flag for the IRCC.

I am immensely grateful to you @Geet7 for your candid answers to all questions and the fact that you shared your story because, as I mentioned before, you are our greatest support and inspiration and, probably, one of the strongest reasons we will re-apply. Thank you so much! And thank you to our group of family applicants, you know who you are, and to everyone here!

We will wait for our GCMS notes to arrive to learn the exact detailed reason for the refusal and I will also contact my university with a request to defer for September 2023. The reason for this is that we do not think that there is enough time for us to re-apply for the Winter 2023 semester, taking into consideration that GCMS notes might take 1-2 months and the re-application another, say, 18 weeks. So, the best strategy we see now is to contact the university and get ready for a re-application in March 2023 (to give us plenty of time for another 18-week SDS processing time - still wondering where is a palm face emoji on this forum?).

All in all, we feel all right and ready to continue our journey :p And of course, I'll continue posting with our updates here ;)

One more thing I forgot to add, we sincerely wish good luck to every applicant on this forum regardless of the decision you get because as much as it sucks to get a refusal, I have to honestly say, that it still feels that we are on the right track and as someone on this forum (who has been waiting for his family application for 10 months) said, "may be that is the right time for us". We feel the same way. Good luck everyone! :D
Glad that you have already chalked out a clear plan, wishing you the absolute best for your application.

Reactions: parrots

Mayank_Choudhary

Star Member
Jun 28, 2022

Very bittersweet. I'm glad you guys got your decision instead of IRCC letting you stew in anxiety; even if it took them 18 weeks in total. I'm really happy to see you're not going to give up and are already planning out your next move to immigrate to Canada. I wish you guys great success in Attempt. 2!

parrots

Jul 19, 2022
Very bittersweet. I'm glad you guys got your decision instead of IRCC letting you stew in anxiety; even if it took them 18 weeks in total. I'm really happy to see you're not going to give up and are already planning out your next move to immigrate to Canada. I wish you guys great success in Attempt. 2!
Thank you so much! :) Yeah, I agree, it is a relief that the wait is over and we can relax. Oh, well, you know, when you have 18 weeks on your hands of waiting, you start making up plan B and plan C and plan D just out of pure boredom :D But seriously, we did realize that there could be a refusal, so of course we prepared. We'll start fresh again now.

Reactions: Mayank_Choudhary

nghivt09

Aug 10, 2022
Thank you so much! :) Yeah, I agree, it is a relief that the wait is over and we can relax. Oh, well, you know, when you have 18 weeks on your hands of waiting, you start making up plan B and plan C and plan D just out of pure boredom :D But seriously, we did realize that there could be a refusal, so of course we prepared. We'll start fresh again now.
So if your application is refused, ur family's applications will be refused too? Anw good luck with ur plans in the future.

parrots

Jul 19, 2022
So if your application is refused, ur family's applications will be refused too? Anw good luck with ur plans in the future.
Yeah, sure. Both my husband and I have received one same reason on our applications. Generally, SP applicant might be approved while his / her spouse applying for OWP might be refused, but it never happens the other way around.

Reactions: nghivt09

Geet7

Sep 13, 2021

I've been watching your posts and I can't believe you received a refusal... However, after reading your post, I'm confident you will overcome this obstacle and you will achieve your goal. Reaching a goal is more persistence than anything else so now is the time to take a step back, define a new strategy and give it a second go!

I think somebody posted in the forum that they received their GCMS notes faster requesting them through CBSA than IRCC. Maybe you could request both at the same time.

Also, you should do some research about immigration through studies to countries like Finland for example. They recently introduced a law that basically makes the process of getting PR after studies very easy for international students. Also, they have a Visa approval rate of 97% (the 3% are refused for not having funds or criminal reasons). Also, they have some very affordable tuition fees. This could be a good plan B or C hehehe...

Lastly, if I can be of help, feel free to reach out! I'll be more than happy to help you out in any way that I can! You've got this!!!

phoenix197

Star Member
Jul 1, 2021
Category........
STUDY
IELTS Request
23-10-2021
Med's Done....
09-05-2022

Am so disheartened to hear this @parrots... but this post is an inspiration to all others to stand tall and follow your dreams and never let downfalls affect you in any way. What a positive way to handle this...May you get the PPR for sure in 2023...

Geet7

Sep 13, 2021
Hi,
I have got my application rejected today due to the following reason.
The purpose of your visit to Canada is not consistent with a temporary stay given the details you have provided in your application.

I have been following your thread and I am in a same situation as you and in a dilemma how to re-apply.

Please help me in answering following queries.
1. First time I applied in SDS, should I apply for NON-SDS second time now after rejection?
2. What are the changes that you made in your application, since yours was successful in the second time, Probably I might follow the same.
3. Any other tips to make my decision come quickly because I won't get any refund if my decision is delayed beyound Dec'1st 2022

Please help me out
1. I don't see how it could work in your favor to change from one to the other.
2. Request GCMS notes to see the VO's comments in detail about your refusal.
3. You cannot speed up decisions. IRCC takes the time they take and there is nothing you can do about it. The only thing you can do is once your processing time has exceeded the standard time, you can raise a webform.