+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

SCLPC class and open work

am84pm

Oct 25, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello and thanks for helping me, just to give you a brief background about myself; I'm a ph.D student and I have a valid study permit till 2019 and it's been 3 years that I'm living in Canada and studying my ph.D . I am married with a Canadian girl and it's been more than a year that we are married in Canada and everything is official. I still haven't applied for my PR and was busy with my school. Now I'm planning to apply for PR under the SCLPC class and my wife is going to be my sponsor.
I read on CIC website that I'm eligible to apply for an open work visa and I should apply for my PR and open work at the same time. Now my question is, if I apply for an open work permit, is my study permit going to be canceled after I got my open work permit? If yes, can I continue my ph.d with the open work permit?
and last but not least, do you advice me to apply for the open permit? I have study permit and I really don't need an open work permit. I just thought maybe I have an opportunity later and I can use the open work permit.

Thanks again for spending time to read and giving me suggestions. I do appreciate it in advance.
Sincerely,
Jc

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
am84pm said:
do you advice me to apply for the open permit?
100% NO. Do NOT apply for your PR using INLAND application.

Apply using the OUTLAND application. You can remain in Canada and continue your studies while the OUTLAND app is processing, and you will get PR in much quicker time vs the inland app.

Outland Package is here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/fc.asp

am84pm

Oct 25, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you very much for you reply.
I'm living with my wife now in Canada, if I want to go with outland, wouldn't be a problem since I have all my addresses in Canada? One more thing, can I go out and enter to Canada while my PR is under process?

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
am84pm said:
Thank you very much for you reply.
I'm living with my wife now in Canada, if I want to go with outland, wouldn't be a problem since I have all my addresses in Canada?
No it's perfectly fine to have all your addresses on the app as in Canada. When the app is finished, they will mail all your landing documents directly to your Canadian address.
Since you are here on a valid study permit for so long, there's a good chance CIC will process your app in CPC-Ottawa.

One more thing, can I go out and enter to Canada while my PR is under process?
Yes with an Outland app you can come and go from Canada as you please during the process.

With an Inland app, leaving Canada would be a risk.

am84pm

Oct 25, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Rob_TO said:
Since you are here on a valid study permit for so long, there's a good chance CIC will process your app in CPC-Ottawa.
So where do I have to send my PR application? to CPC-Ottawa or I can send it to any Canadian embassy? and is there any advantages that COC-Ottawa review my application than somewhere else?

And one more thing, you are sure about this right? I have completed my PR inland forms and I have a pre-medical appointment on June. So I had a plan to submit everything right after my pre-medical test. But now that you are advising me about this I'm really considering to change my whole thing to outland and do it the way you advised me.
Do you know anyone that applied the similar situation that I have and followed like your advice and got the PR? I'm kind of scared that I sent my documents and when they see my address in Canada and status as a student in Canada will be pissed and reject my application or send it over after couple of month and I have to apply again my inland... ??? ??? ???

Thanks for your advice.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
am84pm said:
So where do I have to send my PR application? to CPC-Ottawa or I can send it to any Canadian embassy? and is there any advantages that COC-Ottawa review my application than somewhere else?
You always send it to CPC-Mississauga. Address is in the Outland application guide. After assessing the sponsor portion, CIC will then send the rest of the application on to appropriate visa office.

Do you know anyone that applied the similar situation that I have and followed like your advice and got the PR?
Thousands of people have applied outland while living in Canada, including my wife. She was living here and all her addresses were here but we applied through Korea visa office. CIC even recommends it in the inland guide, to apply outland instead. Where you live is irrelevant to applying outland. Nobody has ever had issues applying outland while living in Canada.

Inland should ONLY be used for those desperate for a work permit asap, or who may otherwise have difficulty remaining in Canada under valid status (so don't hold a visa-exempt passport).

Again, do NOT apply inland. Re-do the necessary forms using outland package I linked to above, and do your medical exam just before you send the application.

am84pm

Oct 25, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I really really appreciate your help man. Thanks a bunch again. I'll do what you said.

am84pm

Oct 25, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I just had a look at this link: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/
and it asked about:
  • What are you applying for? (required)
  • Who are you sponsoring? (required)
  • Where are you applying from? (required)

can you please answer these questions?
For the first one I'd say "Sponsoring a family member"
For the second one I'd say "Spouse living inside Canada?" or is it outside of Canada? we are both living in Canada.
and last one is it applying from Canada or the country that I born?

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
am84pm said:
For the second one I'd say "Spouse living inside Canada?" or is it outside of Canada? we are both living in Canada.
If an outland application, then it's "outside of Canada" despite the fact you're actually in Canada now. Not very good wording by CIC.

and last one is it applying from Canada or the country that I born?
It may be either. After your app is done at CPC-Mississauga, they will forward the app to the outland visa office. It's up to CIC if this will be based on your citizenship, or your current Canadian residency.

Keep in mind also that all those times for outland processing on the CIC website, are useless. They are more worst case times, and 80% of apps are processed quicker then the time you see.

am84pm

Oct 25, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You are the best man. 1+++
Thank you again for you help.

Apr 26, 2018
hi sir
my wife doing study in canada and i have open work permit.can i apply PR application on my behalf? coz her college is private not eligible to pgwp.