+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

School transfers for kids

Hot2Cold

Champion Member
Nov 16, 2014
Hi,

We hope to get our PPR by May 2016, and want to settle permanently by the following year.

I want to know how this will affect my son's schooling. He is currently studying in grade 7 (ICSE syllabus from India). Will he be in the same grade in Canada? Or will he lose/gain a year?

If any parents have been in a similar situation, I would welcome your feedback.

Thanks in advance.

alok4best

Dec 19, 2014
Frankfurt
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
8-Dec-2014
Nomination.....
24-Feb-2015
AOR Received.
7-Apr-2015
IELTS Request
Submitted with application
File Transfer...
7-Apr-2015
Med's Request
17-Jun-2015
Med's Done....
23-Jun-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
13-Jul-2015
VISA ISSUED...
03-Aug-2015
LANDED..........
27-Nov-2015
Hot2Cold said:
Hi,

We hope to get our PPR by May 2016, and want to settle permanently by the following year.

I want to know how this will affect my son's schooling. He is currently studying in grade 7 (ICSE syllabus from India). Will he be in the same grade in Canada? Or will he lose/gain a year?

If any parents have been in a similar situation, I would welcome your feedback.

Thanks in advance.
What I have heard from some of my colleagues at work is that grades in Canada are dictated by kid's age. So it does not matter which grade your kid is in India. When you come here, they will admit your son based on his age.
I hope this helps.

Hot2Cold

Champion Member
Nov 16, 2014
alok4best said:
What I have heard from some of my colleagues at work is that grades in Canada are dictated by kid's age. So it does not matter which grade your kid is in India. When you come here, they will admit your son based on his age.
I hope this helps.
Thanks Alok,

That's what I think as well. But heard from some sources that generally our kids lose a year because of the different start times of the academic year. We start in April, and they start in September. That is why we are concerned.

alok4best

Dec 19, 2014
Frankfurt
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
8-Dec-2014
Nomination.....
24-Feb-2015
AOR Received.
7-Apr-2015
IELTS Request
Submitted with application
File Transfer...
7-Apr-2015
Med's Request
17-Jun-2015
Med's Done....
23-Jun-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
13-Jul-2015
VISA ISSUED...
03-Aug-2015
LANDED..........
27-Nov-2015
Hot2Cold said:
Thanks Alok,

That's what I think as well. But heard from some sources that generally our kids lose a year because of the different start times of the academic year. We start in April, and they start in September. That is why we are concerned.
Yes, you're right. kids can lose or gain one year, based on which side of cut off dates their Birthday falls on.
But as I said, it has more to do with Date of Birth, than the nationality of students.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

alok4best said:
Yes, you're right. kids can lose or gain one year, based on which side of cut off dates their Birthday falls on.
But as I said, it has more to do with Date of Birth, than the nationality of students.
1. Also no matter what the age, the school will probably test the child to determine what grade that s/he should be in, depending on their language ability, previous studies. Depending on their level on English, they may find them selves in ESL classes at the start.

Hot2Cold

Champion Member
Nov 16, 2014
PMM said:
Hi

1. Also no matter what the age, the school will probably test the child to determine what grade that s/he should be in, depending on their language ability, previous studies. Depending on their level on English, they may find them selves in ESL classes at the start.
I should certainly hope that he does not need ESL classes, since English is definitely not our second language to us. :)

Do they accept any standardized international tests like ASSET? My kid's school holds them every year, and we were wondering if those would count as sufficient proof of proficiency in English / Sciences and Math.