+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Scanning requirements when scanning documents ?

ahmadka

May 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-07-2015
Doc's Request.
07-08-2015
AOR Received.
01-10-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
Hi guys .. I'm about to start scanning documents for my PR application and was just wondering if CIC has any specific requirements for the scans/documents you attach with your application ?

1) Like does the scan have to be a certain DPI or resolution or color depth, etc .. ?
2) Do scans have to be in color or is grayscale/black and white scanning fine too ?
3) What format do I have to attach scans in, e.g. JPG, PNG, PDF, etc .. ?
4) When attaching multiple scans to the same category (e.g. for the Financial Support or Education categories), can you append all scans in the same PDF file, and attach that one file, or can you attach multiple standalone files for the same category ?
5) When scanning a document, do you have to scan both sides of it even if the back side is blank (e.g. my degrees) ?

Thanks guys !

EmmEmm

Mar 27, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
28-04-2015
Passport Req..
25-09-2015
ahmadka said:
Hi guys .. I'm about to start scanning documents for my PR application and was just wondering if CIC has any specific requirements for the scans/documents you attach with your application ?

1) Like does the scan have to be a certain DPI or resolution or color depth, etc .. ? - i think for photos it is 400 dpi, otherwise minimum 200 dpi. The more the dpi, more will be the size.
2) Do scans have to be in color or is grayscale/black and white scanning fine too ? - color would be a better option but BW also works
3) What format do I have to attach scans in, e.g. JPG, PNG, PDF, etc .. ? - pdf is fine
4) When attaching multiple scans to the same category (e.g. for the Financial Support or Education categories), can you append all scans in the same PDF file, and attach that one file, or can you attach multiple standalone files for the same category ? - append all related documents in one file, you cannot upload multiple documents in most of the cases.
5) When scanning a document, do you have to scan both sides of it even if the back side is blank (e.g. my degrees) ? - no, only the front side.

Thanks guys !

psharma.np

Star Member
Apr 4, 2015
Is 200 DPI the minimum resolution for scanned documents? Are there any other requirements for scanning documents, converting into PDF and uploading ?

Please share!

Thanks.

nokia3315

Aug 12, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
psharma.np said:
Is 200 DPI the minimum resolution for scanned documents?

In my opinion go for 300 dpi as I think its a balance between quality & size.Personally I cant find concrete answer for the same question as its not mentioned on CIC website.

Are there any other requirements for scanning documents, converting into PDF and uploading ?

I think there is a 4MB maximum size limit. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=1123&t=23 Please wait for more replies to confirm that.

Please share!

Can someone confirm if the required settings for photos it is 400 dpi,

Thanks.

harry16125

Star Member
Feb 1, 2014
Calgary
Visa Office......
New Delhi
App. Filed.......
14-11-2015
Passport Req..
21-12-2015
VISA ISSUED...
24-12-2015
LANDED..........
11-04-2016
psharma.np said:
Is 200 DPI the minimum resolution for scanned documents? The minimum resolution shud be 300 dpi.

Are there any other requirements for scanning documents, converting into PDF and uploading ? Files converted into PDF, are not accepted. Your papers shud be originally scanned in PDF format.

Please share!

Thanks.
Hi

see my inserts in blue.

good luck

psharma.np

Star Member
Apr 4, 2015
What do you mean when you said "Files converted into PDF are not accepted" ?

In most of my cases (except photo), I have converted all my documents (as there are multiple) including passport into PDF and uploading it.

Is there any problem on doing this ?

Thanks.

bassem.mf

Star Member
Jun 19, 2016
Egypt
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
psharma.np said:
What do you mean when you said "Files converted into PDF are not accepted" ?

In most of my cases (except photo), I have converted all my documents (as there are multiple) including passport into PDF and uploading it.

Is there any problem on doing this ?

Thanks.

It is perfectly OK to concatenate multiple scans in a single PDF. Actually, CIC recommends that you do that when you have multiple documents that need to be uploaded to the same field. Here is a quote from CIC

"You can only upload one document per field. If you try to upload multiple documents in the same field, only one will be saved. This could cause your application to be incomplete.

If you are uploading text documents, you can just cut and paste from one document to the other.

If you are uploading PDFs or image files, you should make a multi-page PDF. There are a few ways of doing this, depending on your computer and software. There are also free online services that you can use."

Jul 20, 2014
hi guys,
do you guys know if i can submit my applications forum scanned? My son mailed me his application forms however, he made a mistake on one of the forms so i told him to do make the corrections, sign it then print and scan it to my email and i would download it from off my email.
thanks in advance for answering

adrlim

Nov 18, 2016
hi guys,
do you guys know if i can submit my applications forum scanned? My son mailed me his application forms however, he made a mistake on one of the forms so i told him to do make the corrections, sign it then print and scan it to my email and i would download it from off my email.
thanks in advance for answering
Not sure what you mean. Everything needs to be scanned and attached. If it's an online form that needs to be filled in online then no scanning is needed. Since this requires signature then I'm assuming you must scan it

Jul 20, 2014
Not sure what you mean. Everything needs to be scanned and attached. If it's an online form that needs to be filled in online then no scanning is needed. Since this requires signature then I'm assuming you must scan it
no, i am not submitting online. I am going to mail it to immigration. however, i am asking if my son print and scan a document to my email and i print it off and mail it with the other documents if the immigration officers will accept it. I am filing for my son btw.

noscaf2014

Nov 2, 2016
no, i am not submitting online. I am going to mail it to immigration. however, i am asking if my son print and scan a document to my email and i print it off and mail it with the other documents if the immigration officers will accept it. I am filing for my son btw.
If you are not submitting an online application, then no, signatures have to be original. Good Luck!

adrlim

Nov 18, 2016
not familiar with mailing an application. most of us here are all online submission.

Dhruv1997

Feb 3, 2020
Hey there,

Major concern here for me.
My original docs are not with me due to COVID-19 lockdown.
I do have scanned copies in Cam Scanner.
They are visible correctly.

I am applying for student visa.
While visa will these documents work?
I dont have any way to going to the place where my original docs are.

Please help if someone is facing same issue

Regards,
Dhruv

kmsbytes

Star Member
Apr 22, 2018
Category........
Other
Hey there,

Major concern here for me.
My original docs are not with me due to COVID-19 lockdown.
I do have scanned copies in Cam Scanner.
They are visible correctly.

I am applying for student visa.
While visa will these documents work?
I dont have any way to going to the place where my original docs are.

Please help if someone is facing same issue

Regards,
Dhruv
try OfficeLens or Adobe Scan, they generate good quality pdf much better than CamScanner and Camscanner PDF has some known issues that pdf fails to open and big problem.
So use OfficeLens or Adobe scan android app to be safe i feel. Adobe scan won't make pdf not opening in Adobe reader which i think CIC uses.