+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sample of explanation letter for online application for a Citizenship Certificate for baby outside Canada

ILoveCanada9999

Oct 22, 2021
Dear All,

I trust you're all doing well. I became a Canadian citizen last year, and since then, my wife and I have been eagerly awaiting the arrival of our baby, due later this year. As part of the process, I'm looking to apply for a Canadian citizenship certificate for our soon-to-be-born child. However, I've encountered a bit of a roadblock during the application, specifically regarding the requirement for identification documents.

The instructions state that two valid identification pieces are needed to establish identity, both displaying the name and date of birth, with one requiring a photo. The suggested documents are as follows:

Two pieces of valid identification are required to establish your identity. Both documents must show your name and date of birth. One must have your photo on it.
driver’s license
age of majority card
passport
certificate of Indian status card
health insurance identification card
senior citizen’s card
travel document

Note: If you’re applying on behalf of a minor who does not have two pieces of identification, or does not have a photo ID, please include an explanation letter with the application.
My hope is to have a health insurance identification card as the first valid document for our baby when they are born. However, I'm unsure of the exact content and format that the explanation letter should follow. If any of you have experience with this or could provide a sample explanation letter, I would greatly appreciate your assistance.

Thank you in advance for your help and guidance.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
The explanation letter would be a simple and brief factual explanation addressijg why you cannot provide as required. Eg "in Dokustan there are no official identification cards available to minors under the age of two that have a photo."
But I'd urge you to attempt to provide even if it takes a bit longer eg by applying for a passport for the child. Then the letter could eg include either the passport or copy of application with photo noting passports typically take x months to receive. (Do this only if the wait is quite long)

Reactions: ILoveCanada9999

ILoveCanada9999

Oct 22, 2021
The explanation letter would be a simple and brief factual explanation addressijg why you cannot provide as required. Eg "in Dokustan there are no official identification cards available to minors under the age of two that have a photo."
But I'd urge you to attempt to provide even if it takes a bit longer eg by applying for a passport for the child. Then the letter could eg include either the passport or copy of application with photo noting passports typically take x months to receive. (Do this only if the wait is quite long)
I appreciate your guidance!

To be completely transparent, I'm in the process of preparing a spouse sponsorship application for my wife. A close friend of mine suggested that I include the Citizenship Certificate receipt, which will be issued once I submit the Citizenship Certificate application for my baby. Consequently, I'm wondering if it's feasible for me to submit the Citizenship Certificate application with just the explanation letter in lieu of the two required IDs. My plan is to later supplement the application with the baby's passport, although it may take several months to obtain.

Your insights on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

To be completely transparent, I'm in the process of preparing a spouse sponsorship application for my wife. A close friend of mine suggested that I include the Citizenship Certificate receipt, which will be issued once I submit the Citizenship Certificate application for my baby. Consequently, I'm wondering if it's feasible for me to submit the Citizenship Certificate application with just the explanation letter in lieu of the two required IDs. My plan is to later supplement the application with the baby's passport, although it may take several months to obtain.

Sorry, are you looking to apply for the baby's citizenship certificate before the child is born?

At a minimum, you need at least one ID. I think the application will be returned as incomplete with no IDs.

The citizenship certificate receipt doesn't add any value to your wife's sponsorship application. Just include the baby's birth certificate.

ILoveCanada9999

Oct 22, 2021
Sorry, are you looking to apply for the baby's citizenship certificate before the child is born?

At a minimum, you need at least one ID. I think the application will be returned as incomplete with no IDs.

The citizenship certificate receipt doesn't add any value to your wife's sponsorship application. Just include the baby's birth certificate.
Hello scylla,

No, I will only apply when the baby’s birth certificate is ready, but at the time the baby will be born, I don’t think he will have any other IDs besides the birth certificate.

Yes, I tend to add the baby’s birth certificate to my wife’s sponsorship application, but do not know that the receipt will not add any value to sponsorship application :-(

Thanks

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015

Submit your spousal sponsorship before the child is born.

Afterwards - once you get all the stuff - you can submit evidence that you've applied for the citizenship certificate (a copy is more than enough). It's a courtesy to advise them of the child's birth but as a citizen, the child does NOT need to be 'added' to the app. Though they may (will ) ask for evidence the child is a putative citizen.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
If they apply before the birth, won't be needed at the application stage at all. BUT: for those applying with kids that are (putative) citizens, I would say in most cases show evidence that a citizenshp application is in the works (I seem to recall the app asks for something like this but not certain and a bit lazy).

ILoveCanada9999

Oct 22, 2021
@armoured and @scylla: A heartfelt thank you to both of you once again for your invaluable assistance. I'm thrilled to share the news that my baby has already received the Citizenship certificate. Honestly, I can hardly believe how quickly it all happened! Much appreciated!

Reactions: armoured and scylla

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
@armoured and @scylla: A heartfelt thank you to both of you once again for your invaluable assistance. I'm thrilled to share the news that my baby has already received the Citizenship certificate. Honestly, I can hardly believe how quickly it all happened! Much appreciated!
I'm not clear whether you've already submitted the sponsorship application for your spouse - if not, obviously include copy of the citizenship certificate; if you have, just send a webform (to your sponsorship application's file) with copy to advise IRCC.

Reactions: ILoveCanada9999

Julskrish

Feb 16, 2024
Hi @ILoveCanada9999, congratulations about this. May i kindly ask what did you provide if you only have 1 valid id for the baby? If in case the explanation letter, may I ask also what did you put in the letter? Coz we're planning to apply for my baby's citizenship as well. Appreciate your response. Thank you so much !

ILoveCanada9999

Oct 22, 2021
Hi @ILoveCanada9999, congratulations about this. May i kindly ask what did you provide if you only have 1 valid id for the baby? If in case the explanation letter, may I ask also what did you put in the letter? Coz we're planning to apply for my baby's citizenship as well. Appreciate your response. Thank you so much !
I just provided the explanation letter and told them that I was planning to apply the other ID for my baby but it will take 1-2 months so I will add that ID later on if they request.