+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Salary mentioned in T4 is greater than the amount mentioned in Experience Letter

coolroby

Oct 23, 2012
Hi All,

I have a quick question.

Salary mentioned in latest T4 is greater than the amount mentioned in Experience letter provided by employer. Would there be any problem in application processing ? Or do we need to provide a clarification and supprting documents reflecting the same ?

Could you please help me.

Thanks

JBLoknath

Star Member
Feb 11, 2013
To
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-Jul-2012
AOR Received.
14-Aug-2012
Med's Request
06-Apr-2013
Med's Done....
14-Apr-2013
Passport Req..
16-May-2013
No. It shouldn't be a problem. I had the same issue since my T4 had more due to the fact that I received some good incentive.

Well, it may be something if it's way over the mark. For example if you state your comp as 50K, and the T4 shows 100K!!! In that case, you should attach an explanation letter (good to declare the lottery money, eh?) :)

coolroby

Oct 23, 2012
JBLoknath said:
No. It shouldn't be a problem. I had the same issue since my T4 had more due to the fact that I received some good incentive.

Well, it may be something if it's way over the mark. For example if you state your comp as 50K, and the T4 shows 100K!!! In that case, you should attach an explanation letter (good to declare the lottery money, eh?) :)
lol..i will be more happy if i get a lottery of worth 50k...fun apart, the difference in my case is around 9k and this is because salry of December 2011 got credited in Jan 2012 plus some incentive related to my promotion.

After seeing all the absurd reasons CIC is picking up to reject the applications, i am confused :(

CECFEB2013

Star Member
Mar 11, 2013
JBLoknath said:
good to declare the lottery money
Lottery money would not be reported in T4 issued by employer.

As mentioned by JBLoknath, if the difference is too high it's better to attach an explanation letter. I feel difference of 9k should be explained, but lets wait and see what other seniors has to say about this.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
coolroby said:
lol..i will be more happy if i get a lottery of worth 50k...fun apart, the difference in my case is around 9k and this is because salry of December 2011 got credited in Jan 2012 plus some incentive related to my promotion.
It's not a huge difference, but "incentives" or "bonuses" should be described in the letter of employment, along with salary & benefits.

If it is not, you can attach a brief explanation, then stop worrying about it. It's a bigger problem if your T4 shows you're making less than you claim :)

pingu

Aug 8, 2012
It's a bigger problem if your T4 shows you're making less than you claim
Do you know how CIC calculate hours worked?
Do they go by the time period we state in the application?
Or they calculate by dividing salary received by hourly rate?

I have some issue with my company's salary freeze.
In May 2012 I got evaluated and was promoted to the xx rate.
In the employment reference letter, my manager put that I received xx amount. I submitted application in July 2012.
Since then to now I still received yy (less than xx) due to company's bad economic situation.
I work exactly 40 hours per week.
But if they calculate by dividing salary on my T4 by stated hourly rate (xx) then I definitely worked less than 40 hours per week.

Any suggestion?

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
pingu said:
Do you know how CIC calculate hours worked? It is (should be) stated in your Letter of Employment.
Do they go by the time period we state in the application? Yes, among other things.
Or they calculate by dividing salary received by hourly rate? They certainly could do that to cross-check your information. I would expect they might only do that if something seems odd or off to them.

I have some issue with my company's salary freeze.
In May 2012 I got evaluated and was promoted to the xx rate.
In the employment reference letter, my manager put that I received xx amount. I submitted application in July 2012.
Since then to now I still received yy (less than xx) due to company's bad economic situation.
I work exactly 40 hours per week.
But if they calculate by dividing salary on my T4 by stated hourly rate (xx) then I definitely worked less than 40 hours per week.

That could certainly be a problem, it's hard to see it as anything but your employer lying to CIC (possibly to you as well). If the difference isn't too great, it might not be noticeable or it might not matter (like, if you still meet the work requirement).

yahoo7

Champion Member
Nov 8, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
JBLoknath said:

JBLoknath, just sent you a personal message...Please check and respond at your convenience.

pingu

Aug 8, 2012
Thank you Jes. Do you suggest i write them an explanation letter? Or just let the problem slide and hope the officer dont do the math?
My reference letter clearly states i work forty hours per week.

jsm0085

Champion Member
Feb 26, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
pingu said:
Thank you Jes. Do you suggest i write them an explanation letter? Or just let the problem slide and hope the officer dont do the math?
My reference letter clearly states i work forty hours per week.
I suggest an explanation letter. They won't really need to do much math to determine they are different... If you send something now it will save any hassle at a later date.

JBLoknath

Star Member
Feb 11, 2013
To
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-Jul-2012
AOR Received.
14-Aug-2012
Med's Request
06-Apr-2013
Med's Done....
14-Apr-2013
Passport Req..
16-May-2013
Yahoo7 - Replied to your pm.

CECFEB2013 said:
Lottery money would not be reported in T4 issued by employer.
Oh Yes, this won't be reflected in T4, but must be declared in return file, and thus would be reflected in NOA.

jsm0085 said:
I suggest an explanation letter. They won't really need to do much math to determine they are different... If you send something now it will save any hassle at a later date.
I second ^^

seton

Jun 6, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-06-2012
AOR Received.
05-11-2012
Med's Request
15-02-2013
Med's Done....
21-02-2013
Passport Req..
04-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
22-04-2013
LANDED..........
03-05-2013
Off topic but..

JBLoknath said:
Oh Yes, this won't be reflected in T4, but must be declared in return file, and thus would be reflected in NOA.
This is incorrect as lottery winnings are not taxable in Canada, and don't need to be declared on your tax return.

ravskabra

Star Member
Feb 13, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-01-2016
IELTS Request
Submitted along with the application
Hey folks,
In my reference letter the salary my employer has mentioned is higher then what I have in my T4 as I had one promotion within that year. But in my pay stubs, it clearly mentions the significant difference so, would there be any problem? Or I should have submitted the explanation letter.
Thanks.

JBLoknath

Star Member
Feb 11, 2013
To
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-Jul-2012
AOR Received.
14-Aug-2012
Med's Request
06-Apr-2013
Med's Done....
14-Apr-2013
Passport Req..
16-May-2013
seton said:
Off topic but..

This is incorrect as lottery winnings are not taxable in Canada, and don't need to be declared on your tax return.
:) :) Never won it, but know that lottery money is non-taxable in Canada.
I guess I am presuming that, even if it is non-taxable, you have to declare it.
Something like homemakers who have zero income, but still need to file return. I could be wrong, and way off the mark here! Or may be not!

seton

Jun 6, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-06-2012
AOR Received.
05-11-2012
Med's Request
15-02-2013
Med's Done....
21-02-2013
Passport Req..
04-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
22-04-2013
LANDED..........
03-05-2013
JBLoknath said:
I guess I am presuming that, even if it is non-taxable, you have to declare it.
Something like homemakers who have zero income, but still need to file return. I could be wrong, and way off the mark here! Or may be not!
Nope, you most certainly do not declare it.

May not be an immigration expert, but I am an accountant :)