+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Salary Decrease Due to Covid-19 Canadian Work experience Scenerio?

danda

Mar 5, 2018
Hey Everyone,

There has been talks in the company that I work for about reducing Salary and work hours due to COVID-19. Don't really know what's really happening at the moment as no final decision was made. How does that really affect me and will I be able to apply for CERB? If I had my monthly salary reduced for example below $1000 while I'm working full-time will I be eligible for CERB? or If I had my work hours reduced will that make me a part-time employee? and what happens to my eligibility under express entry to claim work experience points? how is all that put into perspective?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hey Everyone,

There has been talks in the company that I work for about reducing Salary and work hours due to COVID-19. Don't really know what's really happening at the moment as no final decision was made. How does that really affect me and will I be able to apply for CERB? If I had my monthly salary reduced for example below $1000 while I'm working full-time will I be eligible for CERB? or If I had my work hours reduced will that make me a part-time employee? and what happens to my eligibility under express entry to claim work experience points? how is all that put into perspective?
There is a legal minimum wage that an employer could not go under. If you are working full-time it would be impossible to make under $1000 by my calculations.

danda

Mar 5, 2018
There is a legal minimum wage that an employer could not go under. If you are working full-time it would be impossible to make under $1000 by my calculations.
I apologize for not explaining everything in more detail. I was writing that post in panic. I didn't know that employers have to abide by minimum wage law during the covid-19 crisis when they're making nothing to cover costs. What if I was full-time during the middle of the month and all of a sudden without any notice they turn us all into part-time workers due to COVID-19 what happens then in terms of Express Entry eligibility? will all my future hours become based on part-time hours or will they consider them as full-time hours based on my initial employment record.

I really don't know anything as of yet it is really likely that they will switch us as part-time workers with a possibility that my income will lie in the $900-$1000 range a month due to cost/hour reductions. I don't really know what hours will be dictated to whom. I have a friend who worked for a company and the owner business became bankrupt due to Covid-19 so he didn't pay him his dues and told him to get EI off the government, he had a month left before attaining his 12-month work experience. We live in scary times.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I apologize for not explaining everything in more detail. I was writing that post in panic. I didn't know that employers have to abide by minimum wage law during the covid-19 crisis when they're making nothing to cover costs. What if I was full-time during the middle of the month and all of a sudden without any notice they turn us all into part-time workers due to COVID-19 what happens then in terms of Express Entry eligibility? will all my future hours become based on part-time hours or will they consider them as full-time hours based on my initial employment record.

I really don't know anything as of yet it is really likely that they will switch us as part-time workers with a possibility that my income will lie in the $900-$1000 range a month due to cost/hour reductions. I don't really know what hours will be dictated to whom. I have a friend who worked for a company and the owner business became bankrupt due to Covid-19 so he didn't pay him his dues and told him to get EI off the government, he had a month left before attaining his 12-month work experience. We live in scary times.
IRCC has announced no rule changes to Express Entry due to COVID-19. Your future hours will be based on whatever number of hours you actually work. If your hours are reduced and drop below 30 hours a weeks, then this will be classified as part time work experience for the purposes of Express Entry (just like before COVID-19) which means it will take you longer to achieve 1 year of work experience.

Agreed these are very uncertain times.