+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Safe Time to apply for PR Card renewal before the first five-year anniversary of PR landing date.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
I got the new PR card after renewal today. I had applied on June 6th without the documents to prove residency. I got the card at the same time as other people applying with documents to prove residency. It was not delayed, and I am glad it worked smoothly. The letter attached with the new card says about destroying the old card. Should i wait or can I go ahead and destroy the old card.
Wait for what?

If you have the new PR card in possession, and as @armoured noted it appears correct, you are required to destroy the old card forthwith.

Always appreciate updates about how things actually went in particular cases.

CanadianDreamer@TO

Jul 23, 2021
Thanks @dpenabill @armoured . I destroyed my old card. I got an opportunity to use the new card for a recent trip to United States. I went to Seattle from Toronto. On the way back, the journey was via Vancouver. I scanned the PR card at the automated machine upon arrival, and it all worked well.

Last edited:

af56939

Jul 20, 2018
Hi team ,

I have 8 months left for my PR expiry. I am a cross border worker and travel to USA daily for work. My travel history is very long and i have documented each and every day i have travelled outside canada. I have completed around 761 days in canada with everyday travel to US. Given my situation is it safe to apply for renewal or should i wait little longer and get more days accumulated ?.
I am not sure if my case will be considered for secondary review and should i attach the CBSA or I94 travel history along with documentation. Please advise

Fyi- I was out of canada 2 yrs after softlanding.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi team ,

I have 8 months left for my PR expiry. I am a cross border worker and travel to USA daily for work. My travel history is very long and i have documented each and every day i have travelled outside canada. I have completed around 761 days in canada with everyday travel to US. Given my situation is it safe to apply for renewal or should i wait little longer and get more days accumulated ?.
I am not sure if my case will be considered for secondary review and should i attach the CBSA or I94 travel history along with documentation. Please advise

If your calculations are correct, I don't see why you need to keep waiting. Btw, that's my opinion and I'm not in a team. Only the forum moderators work in a team. Although some other posters share the same account.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi team ,

Would personally wait at least another month or until you have closer to 60 day buffer of days. it’s impossible to tell if you will end up in secondary review. When you say PR expiry do you mean card expiry or in the 5 years since landing? Would include as much information as possible with your renewal. It appears as though you may have consistent crossing pattern which can also help during processing. Are you crossing Mon-Fri except work holidays and then going to the US once in a while on the weekend?

af56939

Jul 20, 2018
Would personally wait at least another month or until you have closer to 60 day buffer of days. it’s impossible to tell if you will end up in secondary review. When you say PR expiry do you mean card expiry or in the 5 years since landing? Would include as much information as possible with your renewal. It appears as though you may have consistent crossing pattern which can also help during processing. Are you crossing Mon-Fri except work holidays and then going to the US once in a while on the weekend?
Yes thats corrrct Mon -Fri.

Card will expire in next 8 months and it will be 5 yrs since landing as well.

One more question - Do we get any application number after we mail/courier the documents or we are in the dark till we recive the card?.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes thats corrrct Mon -Fri.

Card will expire in next 8 months and it will be 5 yrs since landing as well.

One more question - Do we get any application number after we mail/courier the documents or we are in the dark till we recive the card?.
No not blind. Can’t remember exactly what you get. Would include an explanation with the list of times in and out of Canada that the times in and out represents crossing the border daily most Mondays to Fridays excluding vacations starting on X date.

af56939

Jul 20, 2018
Update - PR renewed without any issues.
Timelines -
application sent -16 jan
Linked AOR-19th feb
Approved -22nd feb
Card received 27 feb

Reactions: armoured