+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Safe Time to apply for PR Card renewal before the first five-year anniversary of PR landing date.

CanadianDreamer@TO

Jul 23, 2021
I have no travel planned in the near future and that is the reason, I am going ahead with submitting the application for PR card renewal. My other assumption is that it might very well be two months after submission before IRCC starts processing my application. By that time, I would have already completed the 730 days in the past five years since becoming PR. Saw in another thread when someone checked with IRCC in May'23 about their PR Renewal application and they were told that IRCC is still processing applications from Feb'23.

The other comforting factor is that I recently got US B1/B2 visa stamped on my passport which I can use to travel to Canada via US. This is in case I need to travel to India and I do not have the renewed PR card with me.

Concur in thumbs-up so long as there is NO travel planned in the near future, at least none other than brief trips.

Otherwise, a more conservative view:

The conventional wisdom still applies: best approach is to wait to make a PR card application until in compliance with the RO based on days present in Canada (that is, not counting credit for future days on the calendar until the fifth year anniversary of landing).

A big part of what makes that the conventional wisdom is that it is simple and straightforward, not subject to conditions or contingencies. No complicated calculations necessary: when the days in Canada since landing AND within the previous five years (again, BOTH) total at least 730 days, the PR is demonstrably in RO compliance.

Then as long as they PR does not go outside Canada for a period of time resulting in having been IN Canada fewer than 730 days within the previous five years, there is no RO breach, no risk of inadmissibility.

Beyond that, the variables are many, and the nature and extent of risks also varies considerably.

The headliner risk is loss of PR status. There is NO risk of this if the PR is in RO compliance as of the day an application for a new PR card is made (as is the case discussed here) AND the PR continues, thereafter, to be in RO compliance. So, if that is the only risk of concern, @CanadianDreamer@TO can safely proceed with the application . . . again, so long as there are no subsequent absences that result in failing to comply with the RO.

But concerns about the timeline are generally tethered to either planned or potential travel abroad (there is no timeline concern if no travel outside Canada is likely for a good long while). In which cases, when and for how long are key factors. We know for example (acknowledging there is some dissent regarding this), that an extended period of time abroad while a PR card application is in process increases the risk of non-routine processing. How much so, we do not know.

Further Observations:

I disagree that the discussion about what is a "good idea" took a "semantics" detour. Recognizing the scope of contingencies and variable factors in how these things go, and that the actual facts in an individual case can (and often will) make a big difference, but also recognizing it is extremely difficult to quantify the odds, means that what is a good idea for one PR may not be a good idea for another PR even though their circumstances are quite similar. That's not semantics, that is recognizing different PRs can (and, again, many will) have different experiences, different outcomes.

Moreover, it warrants remembering that there is significant variability in the risks themselves, and what is at stake for particular PRs also varies. Note, for example, being outside Canada without a valid PR card can pose a more serious risk for some PRs compared to others. PRs who can travel via the U.S., for example, are only risking the inconvenience of traveling through the U.S. For a PR who cannot travel via the U.S. and who has a job in Canada they need to return to within a tight time frame, ending up having to suffer a potentially slow application process to obtain a PR TD could cost them their job. For some, shrug, there's another job readily available. For others, losing their job could be harsh or even devastating.

For those who choose or are compelled to do some colouring outside the lines (those who cannot always stay in RO compliance, or those needing to travel outside Canada without a valid PR card in possession), that is personal decision-making country, an individual judgment call.

Reactions: armoured

CanadianDreamer@TO

Jul 23, 2021
As of today, I have completed 710 days out of the 730 days required for maintaining PR status. I have 47 more days till the First five years since becoming PR in which to complete these 20 days. I had already filed for PR renewal without the two mandatory documents required to prove residency hence waiting with bated breath on how PR renewal would be processed. In the meantime, I have requested for Travel History from CBSA just in case needed.

Last edited:

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
As of today, I have completed 710 days out of the 730 days required for maintaining PR status. I have 47 more days till the First five years since becoming PR in which to complete these 20 days. I had already filed for PR renewal without the two mandatory documents required to prove residency hence waiting with bated breath on how PR renewal would be processed. In the meantime, I have requested for Travel History from CBSA just in case needed.
When did you apply? If before they made the recent changes, then that should not be an issue.

CanadianDreamer@TO

Jul 23, 2021
When did you apply? If before they made the recent changes, then that should not be an issue.
Applied on May 6th. On May 7th I came to know in the forum that we need to upload two documents like Bank statement, NOA etc. to prove residency in the last 5 years. There was another thing pointed out that this requirement was updated in April,23 itself however I had the understanding that this change was effective on May 7th i.e. after I had applied. Moreover I applied without completing 5 years of residency in Canada.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Applied on May 6th. On May 7th I came to know in the forum that we need to upload two documents like Bank statement, NOA etc. to prove residency in the last 5 years. There was another thing pointed out that this requirement was updated in April,23 itself however I had the understanding that this change was effective on May 7th i.e. after I had applied. Moreover I applied without completing 5 years of residency in Canada.
Hard to say, the bigger issue really is that it seems to be an easier approval for IRCC if you already have the 730 days. As you applied somewhat short of that (although still in compliance because of days remaining), they may ask for more evidence. Not a lot you can do but wait.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
As long as you are currently in RO compliance, and as long as you continue to be in RO compliance, there is virtually NO RISK of losing PR status.

The *RISK* is non-routine processing that could delay getting a new PR card.

There is, perhaps, some risk the application is returned as incomplete, but assuming your application was complete according to the checklist submitted with your application, the risk of that should be very low.

The bigger risk is non-routine processing. Perhaps ironically, if there is non-routine processing it will be better for you if that involves a request for more supporting documents to show you are RO compliant. Generally that will not delay getting a new card for any more than a few months, if that long. In contrast, cutting-it-close PRs have some risk of a referral to Secondary Review, and that can mean the application more or less goes into a dark closet for many months, up to nearly a year.

Otherwise, the application might be approved without delay, or subject to some level of review causing some delay ranging from weeks to a couple or more months.

As @armoured noted, not much to do now but wait to see how it goes.

Otherwise, main thing is to be sure to stay in Canada enough to not breach the RO going forward.

CanadianDreamer@TO

Jul 23, 2021
Happy Canada Day
It has been 25 days since I applied for PR card renewal. No update yet. I now have 12 days left to fulfill the residency obligation of 730 days within the first five years since becoming PR. I have 39 days available till Aug 9th 2023 to spend these 12 days.

nomad12

Jul 12, 2023
Out of interest when you filled in the pdf with your residency requirements, did you select that you had over 1095 days outside of Canada because I am in the same situation of being a few days short but everything I have read says to wait til the card expires to apply to ensure you have less than 1095 days outside of Canada and 730 days of residence. When I populate the PDF for PR renewal though it automatically calculates 5 years from the date I am completeing the PDF.

CanadianDreamer@TO

Jul 23, 2021
@nomad12 I agree with what you have stated. I applied online before completing five years and before spending 730 days in Canada however at the time of application, I had not spent more than 1095 days outside Canada.

Reactions: YVR123

CanadianDreamer@TO

Jul 23, 2021
Update to everyone. As of today (July 13th), I have completed 730 days of residency in Canada. There are still 26 days to go before I complete the first five years of my permanent residency in Canada. To meet this threshold, I have not moved out of Canada for the last 680 days (greater than 1 year and 10 months). I even refused my employer to travel to US for project requirements and was not able to travel to India when my mother was hospitalized.
I am glad on reaching this milestone since in September 2021 when I came back to Canada, I was at serious risk with 680 days of residency required to be met in 705 days. Thanks to all the forum members for helping me with my queries in this period.

Last edited:

CanadianDreamer@TO

Jul 23, 2021
As long as you are currently in RO compliance, and as long as you continue to be in RO compliance, there is virtually NO RISK of losing PR status.

The *RISK* is non-routine processing that could delay getting a new PR card.

There is, perhaps, some risk the application is returned as incomplete, but assuming your application was complete according to the checklist submitted with your application, the risk of that should be very low.

The bigger risk is non-routine processing. Perhaps ironically, if there is non-routine processing it will be better for you if that involves a request for more supporting documents to show you are RO compliant. Generally that will not delay getting a new card for any more than a few months, if that long. In contrast, cutting-it-close PRs have some risk of a referral to Secondary Review, and that can mean the application more or less goes into a dark closet for many months, up to nearly a year.

Otherwise, the application might be approved without delay, or subject to some level of review causing some delay ranging from weeks to a couple or more months.

As @armoured noted, not much to do now but wait to see how it goes.

Otherwise, main thing is to be sure to stay in Canada enough to not breach the RO going forward.
I got the new PR card after renewal today. I had applied on June 6th without the documents to prove residency. I got the card at the same time as other people applying with documents to prove residency. It was not delayed, and I am glad it worked smoothly. The letter attached with the new card says about destroying the old card. Should i wait or can I go ahead and destroy the old card.

Last edited: