+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Rumors about an executive order that bans the entry H1b holders around.

rk1234

Jun 25, 2020
I know many who took flight from Toronto to Newark with AVR.
Thank you. last when I came back to US, the airlines wasn't issuing me a boarding pass. They made so many back and forth calls with their manager (since they get penalized if they allow someone with expired Visa; and they were not aware about AVR and how to read I-797); but finally after meeting their manager and they calling the US Border representative, I was finally issued a boarding pass. Was quite a tedious process to get the boarding pass. (US Immigration went fine, they made we sit aside to verify some information; once verified I was good to go.)

Therefore, wanted to know what do folks usually tell the Airlines to get the boarding pass with ease.

This information would be very helpful.
Thank you in advance.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
So I will be moving permanently on July 1st. Do you guys have any idea if the 14 days quarantine is mandatory for first time visitors during Covid like me? even if my company provides a letter stating that I am an essential employee?
Will be up to CBSA to determine if you are truly an essential worker especially as cases increase in the US.

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
Therefore, wanted to know what do folks usually tell the Airlines to get the boarding pass with ease.
Nothing can be done. Its all untrained workers at airlines. We cant change it hence we need to deal with the delay. Only thing we can do is that we can take the print out of AVR and show them and ask them to call cbp to verify.

guca

Star Member
Aug 24, 2018
Thank you. last when I came back to US, the airlines wasn't issuing me a boarding pass. They made so many back and forth calls with their manager (since they get penalized if they allow someone with expired Visa; and they were not aware about AVR and how to read I-797); but finally after meeting their manager and they calling the US Border representative, I was finally issued a boarding pass. Was quite a tedious process to get the boarding pass. (US Immigration went fine, they made we sit aside to verify some information; once verified I was good to go.)

This information would be very helpful.
Thank you in advance.
Nothing can be done much. Traveling with AVR causes delays. I wasn't allowed to board the bus from Canada to NY because my stamped visa was expired. That driver doesn't understand what I797 is. It took me 20 minutes to finally explain him that I am allowed to travel and can take care of this at the border.

cancan0505

Star Member
Mar 5, 2020
Sorry I have no idea regarding entry into Canada on a student visa/study permit. So I am not sure what the CBSA personnel will be looking for to grant you entry. Try checking with people who entered Canada recently on a study permit. They'll have a better idea.

For Question 2, I have no answer as well.
Zaid, were you able to make it back safely?

ccaallvviinn

Star Member
Sep 13, 2019
Just wanted to contribute data points.

For the AVR travellers back from Canada to the US, I called a couple of CBP officers again today in MN and MI. Got really conflicting answers - MN officers are really firm on not allowing AVR, while Detroit said OK.

kubernetes

Jun 23, 2020

For the AVR travellers back from Canada to the US, I called a couple of CBP officers again today in MN and MI. Got really conflicting answers - MN officers are really firm on not allowing AVR, while Detroit said OK.
Are you calling them daily?

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016

Did MN officers say it is not allowed, or were they unsure whether it would be allowed or not? CBP head has clarified that AVR is not impacted by the proclamation. Also, I would go with whatever Detroit officers say as they deal with these things more frequently than any other ports and people have been let in on AVR from there.

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........

Some officers on phone and some officers at the booth are useless or dont want to learn or dont want to give all information over the phone and they dont understand many specific cases. So usually these things will get cleared up once they are sent to secondary inspection. Its should be fine once they go inside and will get clearance.

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
Some officers on phone and some officers at the booth are useless or dont want to learn or dont want to give all information over the phone and they dont understand many specific cases. So usually these things will get cleared up once they are sent to secondary inspection. Its should be fine once they go inside and will get clearance.
but if the officer says he cannot let you in, would someone need to request for secondary inspection or they will be taken there automatically? how does entry denial typically happen? one just needs to take U turn if officer says he can't let you in or what happens?

ccaallvviinn

Star Member
Sep 13, 2019
Did MN officers say it is not allowed, or were they unsure whether it would be allowed or not? CBP head has clarified that AVR is not impacted by the proclamation. Also, I would go with whatever Detroit officers say as they deal with these things more frequently than any other ports and people have been let in on AVR from there.
The MN POE officers were very firm and confidently said AVR not allowed. What makes it more frustrating is that I called the same POE a week ago and the answer was a clear yes. Could you share the source of the CBP head that clarified that AVR is not impacted by the proclamation? Much appreciate it. I think it might be best to travel with some evidence in hand from them internally.

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
but if the officer says he cannot let you in, would someone need to request for secondary inspection or they will be taken there automatically? how does entry denial typically happen? one just needs to take U turn if officer says he can't let you in or what happens?
Denial doesnt happen without secondary as far as i know because i think that its the procedure. I dont think that the booth officer can just deny and send them back. I believe that the denial record update happens only at the secondary.

I think that during the flag pole the booth guys let them take u turn.

Let me ask my colleague whose wife got denied few years ago. Will post here.

bcpnpapplicant

Star Member
Jan 17, 2019
San Francisco
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
18-08-2019
I just called Peach Arch POE, they confirmed we can use AVR. He said going back to work in US is considered essential travel.

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
Yep Ambassador Bridge, Toronto Pearson, and the various Seattle/Vancouver CBP offices come to mind. Which else?
I suggest you to stick to popular port of entries like Detroit where more commuter traffic is present and not to take less familiar ports like MN. If not, just take the air route where it is lot less stressful to deal with the officers (at airport then road) as you’d still be within Canada.