+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Rumors about an executive order that bans the entry H1b holders around.

dry.00

Oct 4, 2018
Any one here doing daily commute to US on expired h1b but valid i797 on AVR?
It seems there are some people doing that in the other thread.
I don't know if people whose H-1b is approved after the EO is having trouble with AVR though.

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016

Ammjyo

Jun 2, 2019
Hello Everyone,

I also completed landing over the weekend at peace arch crossing (Blaine - Douglas).

1) Drove from SF Bay area (COPR approval date is June 2020)
2) Entered Canada and the lady asked if I am moving today and I said no, then she asked why are you not moving permanently today and I told her that because of COVID-19 I will need some time to arrange my permanent move and then she asked me to park my car. She also took our passports and COPR documents
3) Another officer came and took us inside the building and there was no one else in the building except the CBSA officers and us.
4) He asked us if we have any goods that we are taking today and any goods that needs to be followed. I told him we have goods to follow as I am not moving to Canada today and would return to US today. He made us sign the COPR document then and there.
5) He asked us to sit in the waiting area and when we were sitting in the waiting area, we could overhear the agents discussing if we need to quarantine or not. One officer said that now they are PR so they have to quarantine and then the another officer said logically we don't have to quarantine because we are returning back to US. After some time the officer called us to give us the stamped goods to follow list and our passports back with attached COPR document and told us you are PR now.
6) He showed us the way out and also told us from where to take the U-Turn.
7) At the US border post, I handed over the passports and I797 to the US border post agent.(We used AVR)
8) He pasted a yellow slip on the wind shield of our car and asked us to go the inspection area.
9) Another officer came and asked us the documents and I again handed over the passports and I-797 and then he went inside the building and came back after half an hour and handed over us the passports and I-797 and told us to proceed.

Thanks,
Hi , Congratulations !

Quick question - was your expired visa that you used for AVR is from your current employer or past employer ? Does it really matter in case of AVR ?

Thanks

Ammjyo

Jun 2, 2019
Hi Guys, Quick update on my soft-landing experience.

Flight to Canada:
We took flight from Boston to Toronto Pearson (06/26/2020 - after EO was announced)
- The flight was smooth, usual temperature check, plus CoPR doc check at the counter to receive boarding pass (Air Canada). The only question asked was the purpose of travel to Canada, for which we replied: we are immigrating to Canada.
- After landing, we heard the golden words "Welcome to Canada, Welcome Home" and given a printed document with instruction for mandatory quarantine. We had to provide our destination address and phone number.
- The immigration officer was very polite, took our CoPR+Passport, and asked for the address where PR Card needs to be sent. He also asked about our quarantine plan. We mentioned, we will be taking uber straight to XYZ hotel and will be ordering grocery and food using online Apps, etc.
- Next at the customs, We were asked for Goods to follow list (They didn't check or ask for Goods at arrival list). They added the final sum of all items on GTF list and provided the receipt with $0 tax for all the items on the list ( Make sure to collect the receipt before leaving the customs)
- At hotel, we received the same instructions and remained indoors for 14 days. We received multiple calls from the Government of Canada to ensure our stay/quarantine.

Flight back to USA (expired H1B but valid I-94) on (7/12/2020):
- We reached 5 hours early to the airport to allow airline staff to figure out AVR and issue boarding pass. The lady behind the counter was calm and was on the call with the helpdesk for 45 mins to complete our check-in and issued us boarding pass.
- Next at CBP, everything was quick and smooth, they asked for I797/I-94, passport and employment verification letter. They asked below questions:
-Where are you coming from?
-Where are you heading to the USA?
- How long you stayed in Canada?
Once answered the questions, they stamped the passport and allowed us to go to the gate.

Feel free to IM me if you have any questions.

Big thanks to this forum and @raxx.cater for all the information and help.
Hi , Congratulations !

Quick question - was your expired visa that you used for AVR is from your current employer or past employer ? Does it really matter in case of AVR ?

Thanks

Reactions: Y@$h

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
Hi , Congratulations !

Thanks
It doesn't matter. It can be from previous employer or even different visa class like F1..

despairedh1b

Star Member
Oct 7, 2018
Hi @kp549 , thanks for sharing your experience. Congratulations on successful soft landing and entry to the US. I am also planning to do a soft landing in next few weeks via air travel and planning to come back to the US on a same day. Just wondering, Is it possible to take a return flight to the US on a same day without being quarantined for 14 days? If yes, then what should I enter in a quarantine plan which I think is required to fill in or If an officer ask me the same question on my quarantine plan, how should I answer it?

Would truly appreciate your help. Thanks in advance!!
If you want to do that, I would advise road travel (Have seen people flagpole). Haven't seen anyone do a flagpole via plane so far (others can correct me).